Hydraulic Steering Issue

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rod Orieux

Reaction score
My "new to me" 2006 Nitro 288 Sport came with hydraulic steering by Sea Star mounted to the 200 hp Mercury Optimax. It worked perfectly all season with no visible loose of fluid and smooth operation. However, I recently winterized the boat, Canadian here eh, and I noticed some oily substance on the outside of the transom. Upon further inspection I noticed a drip of fluid from the hydraulic piston on the starboard side of the motor. Anyone else ever have this issue and what did it take to rectify. Obviously I need this taken care of prior to next season to avoid any damage to the unit and for the safety of all passesngers and myself. Thanks again guys.

You can just have the end cap seals replaced they run about 100 for the parts and can be done with average mechanical skill.

+1. Biggst problem is bleeding the system. Takes a LOT of patience with 2 people. Do NOT let the hydraulic fluid leak on your carpet or it will dissolve the glue. ;)

Latest posts

Back