sea foam or stabil

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim clear

Reaction score
Hello guys,

You are going to hate me for this question I am sure but here goes. I have a "05" 150 hp merc xr6, not sure what to put in the tank anymore. I hear sea-foam, then I hear sta-bil. At times I hear both, stabil all the time as a stabilizer and sea-foam on occasion in addition to sabil as a cleaner. My head is spinning with all this stuff lol. I just want to fish.

I would also add some Merc Quickleen and I don't bleed black, but it took care of my 200hp xr6 for 9 years without a problem

I've found that with Sea-Foam, there is not a need for additional additives.

I use Stabil for extending the shelf life of gasoline in storage containers.

I use Sea Foam as part of preventive maintenance, running it through the engine for that purpose, rather than for preserving the gas. If I happen to have Sea Foam treated gas in the boat's tank when the boat goes to bed for the winter, so much the better. The fact that Sea Foam is a stabilizer is a bonus.

I had a mechanic suggest seafoam a few years ago for my Merc 40. First tank, I picked up 200 RPM. I have used it ever since, usually a little heavier than they suggest. I have never had a gas problem, including after the winter. The first start of the spring only takes one turn of the key, and the engine runs great.

Back