Scope rings - What do you recommend?

• Thread starter Glenn DesOrmeaux
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TritonGlenn

Reaction score
My .25-06 Encore barrel came with a scope base "FIRMLY" attached. I say "firmly", because I was going to back out the mounting screws and put a bit of Locktite on them... but it appears the previous owner either has already done that, or spot welded the dang things in place... cause they ain't budging! :blink: I don't know who made this base, but it appears to be quality, so I was going to keep it. Especially since I can't get the screws to budge. I have been tempted to put some PB Blaster to them just to ensure they are mounted my own way, and I might still do that.

I purchased a new Nikon ProStaff 3-9x40, and brought it home the other day. Went to mount it and Oops!!! I forgot to buy new rings. So I made another trip to BPS. Everything they had in stock looks so cheaply made. I have some Leupold Rifleman rings I got in another trade... but they feel and look so dang cheap. They are in the parts box, and probably will remain there. I don't want to have issues, and since those only retail for $11, I'm not feeling the quality will be there that I expect from Leupold. I may be wrong, and if I am, please feel free to correct me.

I've got a Leupold base and rings on my Remington 700ADL and Marlin 336 lever action. My other Encore is wearing a Talley one piece base/rings.

I've bought cheaper rings in the past on other rifles, and don't want to make that mistake again. By "cheaper", I'm not only talking price, I'm talking quality. Some of the "cheap" ones I bought actually ended up costing a good chunk of change.

Someone recommended Weaver Quad Locks to me a long time back for another rifle. Inexpensive, but supposedly very good quality. Anyone have experience with these, or another brand / model that you would recommend?

All the best,

Glenn

Is the base a Weaver style base or does it use the adjustable screw rings. If the former, I like Weaver brand rings, if the latter, I use Leupold rings exclusively. If the base has the cross-cut slots it is Weaver style if it has a single hole that the bottom ring turns into then it's the other style.

NoCAL

It's the Weaver style base. I think there is like 5 or 6 cross-cut slots. Never bothered to count them before.

All the best,

Glenn

I would highly recommend Weaver mounts, I have them on every gun I own, except Finnbear Sakos as thier Sako mounnts/rings are far better than anyother mount I have ever seen. In fact a gunsmith once offered me $150 for the mounts. Other wise Weaver is a great mount at an affordable price. One of my Finnbear Sakos is a 25-06, what a caliber, great all around gun, a sleeper in my opinion.

I am by no means a smith, just my 2 cents.

CHRIS CAS

Burris Signature Zee Rings Weaver Style purchase the Wheeler Professional Scope Mounting kit and watch the DVD if you want it mounted the correct way...Lapping, Level and all.

I have never seen a gunsmith or BPS, Gander Mtn, or any other supplier take the time to properly mount a scope.

I've mostly used Weaver but my Luepold MK4 LRT is on Luepold bases and rings. Most Luepold are steel machined. I strongly recommend agains using lock tite no matter what U use. It has ruined my day at Bass Pro numerous times when someone has used red locktite to mount the scopes then brought the setup in to have the scope changed. I've had to take a couple riles home and drill them out and retap the screw holes after stripping the slots. Luepold has a star headed screw and wrench and used properly doesn't need to be glued in. If you HAVE to use something use guntite or blue locktite. I've also had good luck with Millett rings. Luepold also has a windage adjustment on the rear ring that helps.

fatrap

Thanks for the responses everyone.

What model of Weaver rings do you all recommend? I'm seeing quite a few Weaver fans, but there are different models. Quad Locks, or something else?

fatrap,

I never use the regular red high strength Locktite on anything I plan on having to take apart in the future. I always either use the medium blue or the light use red "Threadlocker" stuff that you can apply before or after you tighten down. I like the Leupold screws, and have star wrenches specifically for them. Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it.

All the best,

Glenn

Hi Glenn,

I have experience with the detachable top and grand slams.

Standard: I have two pair of these on pre-73 model 70s. I have changed the scopes on these guns a few times but never had to adjust the mount. These mounts are over 30 years old and I can say with 100% confidence that they are as strong solid as they day they were installed. Worth mentoning is that the blue has faded to a blackish/brown, I have noticed this on my older 870 and have attributed to care and upkeep on my behalf. I happen to like these the best because I feel they have a great hold on the scope, how the onside latches and he other gets screw tightend. My smith actually goes with these as his go to mount, he is an old timer and my be stuck in his way but he has never steered me wrong yet.

Extension Top: I have 4 pair of these mounts(3 on Encore Barrels) I have 2 pair for pure looks ( I like the ring in the center of the scope tube, anal I know) and 2 pair because I flat out needed it for eye relief. Never a single proble with these mounts.

Sure Grip: I have these on guns from a .22 plinker to a 300 Ultra, Never once have I gave the mounts a second thought or worry.

Grand Slam: I have experience with only one mount on one gun. I put this on my .204 Encore barrel. Sole reason I went this route is because my Nikon 6.5-20X50 needed the extra clearence. These are the dove tail edition and are solid as a rock.

I would recommend these mounts for thier quaility and thier price. It should be noted that I am VERY HARD on fire arms. I can careless about them and I don't baby them, I clean them once a year in March and don't touch them. I fire alot of rounds and hunt in the worst conditions. I feel with this said that if they can take my abuse they can take anyones abuse.

LOL my turn for a two chapter response is over. I hope these helps you as I have always found your posts full of knowledge and great advise, so keep the long responses coming.

CHRIS CAS

Thanks Chris. I appreciate the info and will look into everything you mentioned.

Sorry for my long posts. I know Toxic likes to bust my chops about it. I can't help it though. I'm an instructor (full time job) and it's just "what I do". :lol:

All the best,

Glenn

No no no, I truely like and enjoy your posts, please don't take my comment the wrong way. One thing I hate about the internet is that it is mute and has no tone, and you couldn't see that I was just playing.

SideBar: I bought bought thumb holes stock for my Remington 700 7mag and am waiting for it to arrive, I went with the blue and grey, should look really nice on a SS.

Thanks

CHRIS CAS

Chris,

I know. I'm poking fun at myself about it. I dont take any offense to a good joking. Tox helped me a lot with that. It's all taken in a good way. Just a bunch of good natured fishermen having fun. Thanks for the comments and help.

All the best,

Glenn

I believe I have a set of the Standard Mounts that I can send you, check them out, use them, do what ever you want with them. I have to look on the safe. I'll check tomorrow before work.

CHRIS CAS

Not on the safe, I'm going to look s few more pplaces -- couldn't tonight , i was dealing with snomagedon.

CHRIS CAS

Chris,

Snomagedon. Ha! :lol: I feel so sorry for you guys getting pounded by the snow and ice blizards. I am SO glad I moved from VA to TX. I miss friends and fishing on the Potomac, but I don't miss the occasional snow, and it sounds worse this year than ever.

Don't sweat finding those rings brother. I greatly appreciate the gesture, but it's not that important. I'll order some from EABCO, Midway, or Optics Planet. Probably from EABCO, as I need another scope too.

I stopped by BPS again yesterday and looked really hard at their rings. They have some quality Leupold stuff, but the really good looking ones require the Leupold base, and I didn't see any of those bases for this rifle. They had some cheaper full aluminum Weaver rings, but nothing that looked like quality. They also had Millet rings, which I know nothing about. Some of those looked "ok", but nothing that really made me want to buy.

All the best,

Glenn

For most of my rifles, I use the Weaver style rings (usually Sure Grip). I do have Sako rings on my Sakos and a set of Redfield rings and base on two of my Rem 700 (7mm and .338). These are older and I have the "peep" sight insert for the bases if the scope fails (how that would happen to a Leupold, I do not know...lol)

Good luck.

One other brand that I forgot about is Warne. They get really good reviews but I have not used them myself. They look good and there are some that are quick detachable. No screwdriver required. They claim complete return to zero.

NoCAL

I'll second the recommendation for the Weaver Grand Slam (steel) rings. They are really solid. They do add a few extra ounces to the rifle vs. the aluminum rings.

burris signiture zee's.have them on all of my custome ruger rifles and my tc muzzy,excellent way to opticly and mechanically center the scope without having the mechanical position to far off center.as everyone knows scope functions better if scope retical is in center position.they have inserts to help set scope centered b-4 final adjustment,

Latest posts

Back