Part 2 to "hazards of shipping things lately"

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TritonGlenn

Reaction score
Well, I kinda-sorta got screwed. Not sure if it was done on purpose or not, but I'm a little torn today. I picked up the package from the post office. He did send it Express Mail, and I noted it cost him $22 to do so. I felt bad at first, and planned to send him another $15 to cover shipping costs, as it looks like he was trying to make things right for the delay in shipping.

But then I got home and opened the box. :angry: The whole reason I jumped on this deal was that he advertised a 3-9 Nikon Buckmasters scope for $120 shipped. I asked him if it was a 3-9x40, or 3-9x50. He replied that it was a 50. That's a $310 scope, so I jumped all over it and sent him a PayPal payment that same day. Today I get the box and it's a 3-9x40 Buckmasters - a $210 scope.

$100 price difference between the two!!!

Not that the 3-9x40 for $120 was a bad deal. Actually, I thought $90 off a scope that was advertised to be in "excellent condition - not a scratch on it" was a good deal. But when you are expecting $190 off a scope, and instead get something else, it kinda gets you worked up. He offered once to refund my money, but I would have had to pay shipping to return it to him.

I'm tired of getting shafted to return stuff to people who advertise one thing and send you something else (that's twice this month), so I'm just keeping it and considering the deal done.

On another note - the scope was spotless - not a scratch on any of the matte black finish. However, both lenses were filthy and the power ring feels like it has sand in it. I cleaned the lenses, but I have no idea how to get the power ring to stop making that scratchy noise when I adjust it.

OK... I'm going hunting (with a bow). :lol:

All the best,

Glenn

He's in the same state, right? I would suggest to him that since he misrepresented the scope (50 not actually a 40) he needs to knock off $50 or you can let the matter go farther. Too much suspicious about the deal. And, with the $50 you might get the scope serviced. He can refund your money and return shipping then you will send his scope. And, only if he sends you a USPS Money Order (can't stop payment),

Greg,

Did you get my email about the TC Encore deal?

All the best,

Glenn

Glenn,

Got the email.... Two Encores...cool

Good luck with the doe. Hope you have a good blood trail.

Glenn - FWIW - I had a sticky ring on one of my Burris and a buddy from the shop told me to stand up the rifle at a slight angle, put one drop of 3-N-1 or Rem oil on the top side of the adjustment ring, and gently work it back and forth. It took about two minutes and it was better than it was out of the box. Worth a shot, just don't use more than the one drop or it can get messy. (Although the mess may be worth it if you feel there is a good amount of grit in the ring. ;) )

Sorry the guy turned out how your gut was leaning. :angry: I agree with Greg. That wasn't an innocent mistake, by far. Kinda like buying a couch and getting loveseat. They'll both hold your arse, but the couch will do it more comfortably. :D Good luck however it plays out.

Well, the guy isn't replying to my emails, so it's confirming what I originally thought. I don't know if it's worth the hassle anymore. I think I'll just chalk it up to getting $90 off of a Buckmasters scope, and I'll try the one-drop of oil deal and see if that works.

To top it off - I didn't get my deer this evening. Very light grey hair on my arrow. I thought I had a pass through, but I didn't. Very little blood on the shaft of the arrow (about a 4" drip line down one side - not even a coating or anything). The broadhead vent holes on the blades were filled with very light grey, almost white, hair - I hit very low. VERY low. I found two tufts of hair with a small bit of blood on them in the immediate area. But no blood trail - at all. None, nada, zip. I scanned the area as much as I could (we are only allowed to track so far before having to stop and go back for help), and then returned to the game shack for help, as per the regulations. I was told that the evidence pointed to a non-lethal wound - most likely a grazing shot way low - and that they weren't going back out to track. They wrote it up as "shot taken, non-lethal hit". :(

All the best,

Glenn

"They wrote it up as "shot taken, non-lethal hit". That's the same report on my first marriage that ended 31 years ago...

Glenn, Sux about the seller being a scumbag and losing the doe. Our seasons end today and I didn't get a deer this year.:(

Kinda like buying a couch and getting loveseat. They'll both hold your arse, but the couch will do it more comfortably.

Dan J., You crack me up dude!! :lol:

Sorry about the missed hit too, Glenn. I gave up on bow hunting the first season after giving it a try. :( The Horton rep. hooked me up with a great crossbow pkg. and it'll group tight @ 40yds, most times even with me pulling the trigger. :lol: (That's the longest shot I might be able to see in my woods.) The heat and the bugs during our bow season is bad enough, but after the second doe "jumped my string" and ran off laughing at me, I accepted defeat. :blink: I enjoy blackpowder season the most and will stick with a bang over the twang. :D I have to admit that I see some fantastic deer downed with a blade, but I just can't get into it like a rifle. I do respect the fellas that can hack it, though. It just ain't for me. Better luck next time! ;)

Bob - Ees mi yob, mang! :cool:

The low shot was totally my fault - and the realization of what actually happened sunk in today. I decided to put a few shots into my broadhead target this morning to check my setup before this evenings hunt. As I stepped to the 15 yard line and drew back, my heart sunk. My brain kicked in - second pin. I released and put a perfect shot on my target, right where I wanted it. That was the pin I used yesterday. Problem is, that doe was at 25 yards... Not 15!!!

Brief explanation - for the past 7 years, my bow pins were set at 20,25,30,35,40. I seldom ever shot 35 and 40 yards. This year, since my clearing would provide shots from 10 to 25 yards, coupled with me wanting a new sight, I set up my new equipment for 10,15,20,25,30.

When I drew back, 7 years of engrained memory kicked in and yelled "second pin!" to my eyeballs. It wasn't until I shot on my range did I realize my error. That ( hopefully) will be the last time that happens.

All the best,

Glenn

Muscle memory is a hard thing to retrain.... but at least you know how what to look for!

Glenn... I use the day glow pins... Green for 20... Red for 30... Orange for 40... Even if I sort them out for smaller clearings I keep the colors at the same range... So if I was setting up for max 30.. I would add the Blue day glo pin at 15... Why... because I already made the "second pin" mistake a long time ago... Now my mind does yardage and looks for a color...

I've done it too. :( Hopefuly deer only have 2 lives and the next shot is on the mark. Good luck.

Gene

Latest posts

Back