Right Prop for 200 Opti

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rod Orieux

Reaction score
I purchased a used 2006 Nitro 288 Fish and Ski. It has a 2006 200hp Opti with a 4 blade Mercury Tracer Prop with a pitch of 23. I will be using this boat primarily for fishing and of course for the occassional tube ride or kneeboard for the kids. I was wondering if you guys think this current prop is right for what I wanna do. I am not up-to-date with all the prop set-ups and stuff so I really am looking for some guidance. If I can get away with my current prop, that would be okay too. Thanks guys.

Can't really answer that question accurately without some current performance numbers from you. Top end GPS speed, RPMs, and water pressure are a good start.

All the best,

Glenn

As it is winter here in Canada I can't rightly give you any numbers. I purchased the boat at the end if October and haven't even got it wet yet. The previous owner did say he was topping out at 62 mph on gps.

That's the prop that Tracker recommends on their spec sheet.

Andy Greene

Greene Boat & Motor

Thanks again guys. This site and guys like you are awesome!

on my 189 Sport(2006) I have a 25 Tempast +, don't go by trackers specs, they had put on a laser II prop and it over reved the engine on the top end, that was 23P, so the guys that set up my JP, hooked my up with the 25 tempast, its great:D

BigFish,

I have a 2005 Nitro 288 Sport with a 225 Optimax. I've run a 25P Laser II, a 23P Tempest Plus and am now running a 24P Trophy (4-blade). This boat definitely does best with the Trophy. It's a heavy boat when loaded. I raised my motor to the last hole which puts the shaft 2-3/4" below the pad. I'm still testing that and may drop it back down a hole (each hole is a 3/4" adjustment) as it did pretty well there on the lighter loads.

If my math is right, I'm guessing your WOT is around 5,000 rpm. If so, that's too low. These motors like to run at the higher rpm, about 80% of max minimum (or 5,600 rpm) up to the recommended max of 5,750 rpm. If your shaft is 5" below the pad as the factory sets it up, that's too low and would be a big contributor to your low rpm (if they are in fact that low). You're at about 13% prop slip so you have a little room to improve. Without more information, I am guessing that you need to get your rpm up or else you're just pushing a heavy boat.

Latest posts

Back