Replace Livewell Pump

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert Holtz

Reaction score
Have a Rule 500 gph livewell pump. The white plastic hsse connector broke off and the brown wire has been cut. i guess it came that way when i bought it used and just missed it. question is how do you rplace this pump. it appears to mount through the back of the boat next to the drain plug. on the outside is a plastic striner looking device. i am not sure where to begin. By the way this is on a 97 nitro sport 185 fish and ski. you guys are the best and are far better than any owners manual LOL

Hello robert,

I replaced mine when I bought it also used. The new pump from BPS have a fiitng that the hose goes to, then you screw that fitting onto the housing. It is a much better design. The screen is a filter and it just unscrews on the outside of the boat, The nut securing the fitting is on the inside. Just unscrew that big pastic nut and you can pull the housing into the bilge area. Cut the wires (leave enough so you can splice the new pump motor to them). Make sure you clean all the sealant from around the inside of the hole and the outside. 38-579-474-00 is the part number. It has a 90 deg discharge. After you mount it and seal it both inside and outside, you will have to cut some of it off. Easy to do with a little saw, then screw the filter back on. I think mine even cam with a new wire mesh cover. Let me know if I can help.

The strainer should be removeable. Then the next step should be somewhat obvious, the transom should have a "nut" style ring holding it (the pump) onto the transom by the intake pipe. Any replacement should consider an upgrade to a cartridge style pump. Check the available options on Bass Pro or Cabelas website...

Make sure you seal it good so when you screw the nut on it oozes out all around. On the outside, the piece that goes against the boat has a little groove in it for the sealant so when the nut is tightened you have a good seal inside and out. The model number I gave you is a cartrdge style pump. If you should ever have to replace the housing again, the motor comes out so you dont have to splice a new one and vice versa, if the motor dies then you dont have to replace the housing.

Latest posts

Back