Record for cranking battery ?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenny Guess

Reaction score
Well, my cranking battery in my 2004 PT 175 is now over 6 years old and still going....It is an Interstate Marine/RV 500 CCA/625 MCA- came with the boat. Checked the date - April 2004 !!! I have always put it on the onboard charger after cleaning up and storing in garage. I use my boat on an average of 4 - 5 times a month , year round. So, this is just info when ever the subject of 'what battery is best' comes up. Actually, I think this is just one of those better than average situations and not the norm. I probably will go with another interstate if I can find one locally. Anyway, I feel sure that this will be a record for me no matter how many batteries I go through before I leave this planet.........

People do a lot of chest thumping over batteries, but when you boil it down, it's lead and acid in a plastic case. Some are good, some are great and some just ain't worth a flip. Interstate builds great batteries like many other companies do. Just remember there's a Monday morning and a Friday just before quitting time in every week, so just hope you get lucky and don't get one built then. :lol: Glad you got a good'un and if it ain't broke, don't fix it! :D

Interstate doesn't build any batteries, at all. They simply sell them. They buy from Johnson Controls, as do many others.

I interviewed with Interstate some years ago and was amazed at the size of the organization (Corporate is pretty small actually).

Tex

Actually, JCI, GNB, Exide, Fiamm and East Penn build the bulk of the batteries we see on our shores. No matter the mfr., three basic ingredients are used to create the multitude of batteries we depend on in our boats. It really boils down to the quality of acid content and lead plating. All of the brand names are commonly referred to as the "builder". Like an AC/Delco part that is actually manufacterd by TRW, ALCOA, etc. I did not intend to mislead. ;)

I just replaced the Interstate cranking battery that's been in my boat for 10 years with a new one from Wallyworld.

Just had to replace the cranking one that came in my 09 Z7, it didn't last a year. Good thing is the dealer replaced it and didn't say a word.Again, it's just the luck of the draw.

I replaced the cranking and one trolling battery in my Z7 within a couple of months of taking delivery. The trolling batteries were not matched?? but one was dead. I have started charging the cranking battery now but never have had to in the past.

even though it in my truck. my 1996 explorer with 329k still has the factory battery in it...also the factory alternator....my boat has the factory battery but it only from 2002.

Latest posts

Back