Recall

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Paul

Reaction score
Did anybody else get a recall letter from tracker regarding the hydralic steering? Does a dealer have to do it, all it is is a matter of installing a grommit around the hydralic hoses back by the transom. I hate to have to haul it all the way back to the dealers(200 miles) just for a couple minute job. Unless tracker will pay for my gas($1.55/gal)LOL

I believe the dealer does have to do the recall...maybe Doug P. can chime in and tell us for sure.

I would be glad to clarify for Mike and anyone else who has questions. First of all, this is NOT a recall.

The notification that Mike received is for all Nitro 884, 896 & 912 model boats with hydraulic steering. In addition to an inspection of the hydraulic steering system, there is a thru-hull collar that will be installed in the splashwell boot hole located on the transom of the boat. This collar is to provide additional protection to the hydraulic hoses.

Since this is NOT a recall, the addition of this collar is not mandatory. While we recommend that it be installed on these particular models, we can not make you get it installed.

If you do elect to have the collar installed, a Tracker Marine, Marine Group, or Mako Marine dealer will have to do the installation of the piece.

Mike: Since you live over 200 miles away, I would recommend that next time you have your boat in for a check-up or maintenance, have the installation done at that time.

I hope this helps! If anyone has any additional questions, your dealer should be able to assist you, or feel free to contact me.

I have a 2000 929 and also received a letter plus a warning sticker to place on the transom. Is this Tracker and teleflex covering their legal ass ? So ten years from now if I loose steering at 60 and go splat into a wall they cann't be sued ?

I'm the second owner of a 97 912. I probably won't recieve a recall so should I take mine in.

I received my letter today. I have a 901 but the comments above don't indicate my model.

The letter also indicates a potential severe loss of steering if this isn't fixed.

I'd appreciate some clarification as to how "severe" of a problem this potentially is.

Ok...since there seems to be some confusion I will add a little more information.

Nitro 884, 896 & 912 model boats with hydraulic steering should be taken to their dealership for an inspection of the hydraulic steering system and an installation of a thru-hull collar.

All other Nitro models with hydraulic steering along with any other Tracker boat w/ hydraulic steering are encouraged to have an inspection of the hydraulic steering system performed by an authorized Tracker dealer.

A little about the inspection: Tracker Marine Group has determined that an inspection of the hydraulic steering system should be performed on all hydraulic steering equipped models to ensure proper maintenance procedures have been followed according to the TELEFLEX Seastar Hydraulic Steering Owner's Manual. According to TELEFLEX, failure to comply with maintenance checks may result in loss of steering, causing property damage and/or personal injury. Please consult your TELEFLEX Seastar Hydraulic Steering Owner's Manual for a complete maintenance schedule.

Dave: If maintenance checks are not followed, it is possible that loss of steering could occur.

Once again....this is NOT a recall, but a reminder to perform regular maintenance on your hydraulic steering systems...and a chance to get your system inspected.

I hope this helps.

I just got my letter and decal in the mail yesterday,...and I have a 901!!..LOL....I'll have the techs take a look at it anyway.......

Latest posts

Back