Rally tips

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob LaMoy

Reaction score
OK, this will probably cost me a good finish in the rally but what the heck. My advise for those of you that are not familiar with this caliber smallie fishery will be as follows. I don't suspect Mac or Ken need this so shoo! Plus Marke and Mike already know some of my tricks.

Be prepared to drop shot, whatever baits you like.

Have some 6' and 6'6" spinning rods handy with 6 lb and 8 lb sensor or sensithin. Any 3" grubs, either Zoom fat alberts, my choice, chompers, XPS, whatever, but in natural colors such as watermelon, pumpkinseed etc, doused in Bang garlic. Rogues or Husky Jerks in blk/silver. That's all you get from me. For largemouth all the traditional baits apply, jig n pig, worms, traps, cranks, spinnerbaits etc.

Lake Champlain has every available style of water, cover, structure etc. So whatever you're confidence baits are, theres a place for it on Champlain. Natural forage is crawdads, perch, everald shiners, shad, and smelt. Clarity ranges from gin clear to hot cocoa depending on where you go. You want rocks, pebbles, boulders, points, flats, weeds, creek channels, we got 'em all. The map I suggest is Fishing Hotspots "North" section. Friday we will get together to bum around the lake. That morning I will advise everyone of the nav hazard areas to beware of so try to be there. Many are NOT marked on the lake and the map doesn't give explicit detail to location. Plus, should you choosed to get a VT license I can get you to where you need to go. This past weekend's fish were all in VT. NY has plenty as well. But wind didn't allow for it. It could very easily reverse at the rally. Good luck to everyone, hope you make it, and if you have questions, don't hesitate. No question is a dumb one.

Bruce,

BPS sells them. Plus the local Wal-Mart has them when you arrive. They were out this weekend, but I have spoken with the manager of that dept and asked them to stock up on them for the rally along with several baits I have suggested. If you have no luck and want one before coming, let me know. I can send you one, and just repay me when you arrive.

Good thinking Rob....

Way to steer them in wrong direction so I can win....

While their wasting their time with grubs and Bang spray I'll be winning all the prizes with my "Helicopter Lure"...LOL

Oh...we should also tell them to make sure that their drag is really really tight :eek:)

Marke

Latest posts

Back