Totally blew it!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob LaMoy

Reaction score
Well.....ever have one of those days where you can do no wrong on the water in a tourney? I've had those. They feel pretty good. In fact my last BFL on Champlain, though only 12th place, I never lost a fish all day and caught every fish I saw. Can't complain. Fast forward to today and the 1,000 Island tourney. Keep in mind that 2 years ago while at this event, I made a 45 mile run to the lake and it took over 3 hours in 12' plus swells. I could have likely won it, but ran out of time and couldn't get back. Had to dump my fish, forfeit and hitch a ride to get my truck and trailer.

This year I was determined to figure out that stupid river. With some critical help from Jim Moore I put together a "bullet proof" pattern....'cept fo one lil chink in my armor.......ME! :(

Everything played out the way it should, sun, no wind, no other competitor on my spots, etc. I started catching fish around 8:30 and had to be back at 2:00. With 4 fish in the livewell, I set the hook on number 5 around 10:30 or 11:00. All are largemouth on a jig bite. For those of you who don't know me, I've been kind of pigeon holed as a smallie guy but am as comfortable with my flippin stick. And I don't miss many with a jig at all. What happened today can only be described as surreal and a glimpse into the utterly befudling and dumbfounding!!!!

After hooking fist 5, I realize I have a real toad on and start screaming for the net. As the fish approaches I get a good look at a 20+ inch bucket mouth all of 6+ lbs. Would be the largest fish I'd ever weighed in a tourney and good enough for lunker. Just as he gets to the boat.......poooooof, spits the jig at me, gives me the middle fin and swims off. I was sick to my stomach. But I've been doing this a while so I tried to shake it off, figuring I would come back for him. He never hit again.

100 yards down the bank I set the hook on a solid 3.5 lber and instantly break my 30lb fireline......not common. Now at this point I still only have 4 fish, a 4 lber and 3 dinks that aren't even 2 lbs a piece. I move down the bank further and see a big 4 lber cruize into a boat house. I gave him 20 of the best minutes of my life and he never so much as sniffed my jig. Eventually, I did get my 5th fish, but another rat.

Fast foward to 1:15, last hour.........I flip up under a pontoon and instantly my line snaps tight. I rear back on another fish pushing 5 lbs......get him to the boat......c'mon.....you can do it......c'mon, get him in......POOOOOOF.....here's your jig back buddy! AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH

The other couple of toads I found in practice never bit for me.

I finished out with 5 for 10 lbs 6 oz. Had I landed everything I had a shot at, I would have come in with an honest 18-19 lbs and big fish. I just didn't execute. Don't you just hate it when a plan doesn't come together?:angry:

Sounds like some tough luck, but you are living in the greatest country on earth where you can at least do something like this and have a chance at success. You will have other opportnities. Best of luck.

The good news is that the next tourney: You can do it all over again, but better.

Hang in there, Rob. There's a first place check with your name on it, somewhere.

Man, that's some tough luck bro', but we all know that's fishin and that's why we do it, the thrill of the chase. I fished a tourney where I limited every day during three practice days and on weigh in day only came in with 4, havin lost two in two casts right at the boat, 15 minutes before weigh in......ARRGH:angry: But, the good Lord blessed me with another day, so it's all good. You'll get em' next time Rob. Enjoyed the write up!

JP

Remember Rob, any T you can walk away from is a good one!:D

Keep on keeping on. Good luck and stay safe at the Graybar Hotel!!

Hang in there Rob. I had the same luck at our last jackpot on Tues. We got 2nd by 3 ounces and we were one fish short of a limit!! The bad thing is I had the limit fish on 6 different times and never got it to the boat. Same deal, hooked on a jig and almost within net range and they just came off. No jump or anything, just opened their mouth and swam away!!:angry: Oh well, I guess that is why they call it fishing and not catching. Keep the head high and give'em hell next time:cool:.

Tim

It sucks, but at least you know you were on the right pattern and getting the key bites. I hate losing fish, but when they spit a jig back at you, you know its going to be a bad deal.

Hey Rob,

Tough luck, you'll get'em next time.

It's kind of funny, on Sunday Keith and I were heading to Saratoga Lake, early start(5 am on the water) for a fun fishing day.

We were talking about that exact subject, fishing with no mistakes, fish getting off. Keep in mind I'm not saying you made any mistakes, just being able to hookup says it all. But how many times has this happened to any of us? Good fish(s) and they come unbuttoned! Do everything right, good hook set, drag set, net ready, and bang!

I think this part of what keeps us coming back. If it was easy we would get bored.

Still coming up to plattsburgh with the wife from 27 july to aug 3rd. Staying at the marine village. Would like to get together and share some stories. I'm not a big party animal, gave that up after 10 years in the Navy, but I love to talk fishing.

Take care and best of luck,

TC

;) I've done the same thing many times Rob. The pattern I put you on has won me lots of local tournaments. So keep that in mind. You come back next year and conditions are right you got em.;)

What Rob didn't tell you was the day I took him out pre-fishing it was a miserable wet rainy windy day, but he got to enjoy fishing from the kitty cat.:blink:

Rob, lat year, $10,000 on the line and we make a mistake in judgement with a loaded livewell. Well our "judegment" is about 20 minutes too late and get disqualified.

I feel your pain brother!

Randy!

Latest posts

Back