question on taking youngsters

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Duncan

Reaction score
I have a question for the seasoned fathers out there. I took my son to the lake this morning with all intentions of whacking some bluegill. However, when we arrived, my son refused to put on his life jacket (He's 2 1/2, by the way), and threw a tantrum in the middle of the ramp. I just loaded the boat back on the trailer and came back home. Then after getting home, my son just sat in the boat and played for an hour. I am thinking that he may just be too young to take on the water. He loves the boat, but hates the life jacket. I will never let him on the water without a life jacket until he's old enough, but I guess I am just asking what you all would do. Wait, and try again in a couple weeks, or give it some more time, say in the fall. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Jim - My children are grown, but I have two small granddaughters who wear their life jackets even while near the water or on the docks. Initially, they were not happy with them but during the summer months while taking them swimming we showed them why they have to wear the jackets while in the water and the safety issues if they fell overboard or into the water from shore or the dock. Keep trying! When the water warms up a little more in NC take him into the water with his jacket on. Prove to him that it will keep him afloat

It will take time but he will come around if he wants to go fishing with Dad. Do YOU put one on when he is in the boat with you. Kids learn by example so if you don't wear one, put one on so he knows that Daddy wants to be safe also.

Don't forget your pets also. They need PFDs also when boating.

I have a 2yo son.... we do the same thing... play in the drive way for hours.... I am going to start putting his life jacket on in the drive way just to get him use to it..... maybe that will work...

Good luck!

Kraigrrr

Jim

I have a daughter that is 2 1/2, I am fortunate that she loves the boats and enjoys riding in it. We had her out for the first time at 10 months. I would say the same thing, if she would wear the life jacket we would just go home. The life jactet is must like you said, but make sure it is the right size so they are as comfortible as possible. My wife goes out with us and that makes things easier. She'll watch me catch a couple of fish and she pets them. We'll watch the birds and ducks and eat lunch and take a couple of rides to break things up. She'll help drive in the no wake areas. She likes to help run trolling motor. If I do fish, I only keep on ride out at a time and no loose lues or hooks.

We are fortunate to live close to water and probably only stay out a max of three hours right now. What actual fishing she has done has been from the bank, less variables to control that way. You might try letting him fish from the bank first and explain to him this is something he can do the boat as well if he wears his like jacket. And rember kids like to be like there parents so you wearing your life jacket the entire time may help as well.

Hope this helps.

Steve

I did forget to mention that I do wear mine as well. What I may do is put on the regular life jacket instead of my inflatable. Maybe he thinks it is different, I'm not sure. But, I will keep trying. I may try bank fishing a couple times and just see what happens. I know I didn't get on a bass boat until I was 17. Everything else was bank fishing. As far as putting on the jacket before we leave sounds like a great idea as well. I can't start my truck unless I have my seatbelt on or he yells at me :D

Don't forget that in most states now a youngster must have one on at least while underway, and in some states at all times. If he loves to play in the boat, I'd make him wear it when he is just playing. That way it will seem natural to him.

Can you find a "sponge Bob" or Scoobie Doo one? That helps some. Shore fishing is the best way for a two year old. IMO. Bring his toys and other junk. Mine pitched a fit when I tried to get them in the boat for a ride or anything. Unless you have back up a two and a half year old and just you in a boat just won't work out well.

fatrap

Jim, "fatrap" is on to something with the comic charicter thing. When my 16 year old was that age, his momma got him a bat man life jacket with a coller built in to keep his head above water. There was more floatation in the front of the jacket to keep his face out of the water also. The kid played bat man in the jacket when we were at the house and never gave us a problem on the water.

Good luck,

Steve

Jim, was he ok when you loaded the boat back on the trailer and headed back home or did he pitch a b***h then too? What I would have done different is not let him play in the boat when we got home. I would also have taken him inside to his Mom and then pulled out with the boat to go fishing without him. He may be too young, as you say, to take on the water but he should also see what happens when he acts up and what he is going to miss. Try it again in a week or so and see what happens.. I hope everything turns out ok!

Uncle Billy

Let's not forget that this child is 21/2yrs old. he is not going to do anything that he doesn't want to.

i started fishing with my son at 21/2 yrs old as well. there was never a question on wether he was going to were the jacket while we were not moving. he had to were the all the time no questions asked. i would put the jacket on him before we left so he would get used to the idea. there were time when he wanted to take it off. i told him if the water police saw him without the life jacket on, i would get really big trouble. that seemed to sink in his head. he never wanted to see his dad get in trouble with the police.

i use the same method in the car,

if it were me and my son. the boat would have stayed in the water and we would have gone fishing. the fishing and the good time we had would have out wieghed the grief and agrivation you have gone through keeping the jacket on him.:p

GregD

At 2, my son was fully into going fishing with me in my little "pond prowler" boat in a small neighborhood pond. In the cooler weather, I had a "body suit" type preserver that he would get into. Kind of the same material as a wet suit, with tons of floatation on the front. The zipper was in back, so once he was in it, he couldn't get out of it. He was fine with it until the warmer months hit, and then he started complaining about it, trying to take it off. Every time he did, I went right back to the ramp and took him out of the boat - to which he threw a tantrum - big ol' crocodile tears and everything. When he hit 3 years old, he was within the weight requirements for the next type of life jacket (something really important - just because he "fits" into it, doesn't exactly mean it's the right size. Too big is just as bad as too small. Too small, he sinks - too big, he comes out of it if he falls overboard). I havn't had a problem with him in the boat since.

I wish Stearns or Mustang would come out with a "kids" auto-inflatable sospenders type model. I've emailed both companies regarding that, but both replied with a "not in the plans right now - not enough demand" email.

All the best,

Glenn

I wish I could have taken him back home to his mother, but she was working at the time. I thank you all for your opinions. There is some great stuff here to try. I will just keep trying and see what happens. I just want him to be able to experience fishing and the outdoors, unlike a lot of other children. I wonder sometimes about the guys in my bass club that have 16 and 17 year old sons that don't fish. I know a few that have never even taken their son on a boat. It saddens me to know that. Thanks all, and I will keep up the good fight:D

The #1 most important thing for youngsters is to make sure they catch fish. The first couple of times I took my daughter out it was for panfish where the action would be hot and heavy, after that she was rearin to go and there was never an issue with the jacket. Also, make sure the jacket fits right and is not uncomfortable. Never waiver on the jacket requirement.

TOXIC

The jacket or the going is not optional once we get to the ramp. My son started around 2 1/2 with me also. Now, I'm not going to force fishing on him, we can ride in the boat, fish, get out and chase crawdads, etc...but, he is going, and he's wearing a jacket once we get there. If I let him win on this, he will win on others later on. Plus, I'm the dad and I say so! :p

My daughter is 3 1/2 and has never had a problem with the jacket, she knows its the rule. She has also been going since she was seven months so that may have helped. She never had to get used to it, it is part of the routine.

It might help if you explain it that it is a rule that the police say you have to do.At my daughter's school they teach them to obey the police and that has helped with "discussions" many times.

Good luck with yourr new fishing bud

Latest posts

Back