Question for VA Folks

• Thread starter Christopher Laurencio
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christopher Laurencio

Reaction score
Hey Bill in VA or Hutch or anybody else that may know this,

I will be traveling with my boat in tow on I-81 from NJ to NC and it looks like Staunton , VA and or Fort Defiance VA is about halfway and a good place to rest.

Is this area a good place to stay over?

Is this Area before or after or DURING those massive downhills I need to drive on with my boat in tow on I-81.

Can anybody suggest another better stopping point?

Thanks

CJL

Stop in Staunton and check out the Statler Brothers Museum.... Between Staunton and Roanoke the pickins get kind of slim so before or after would be a good choice. Where are you headed? 81 in PA sucks you might want to think 95 instead..

BF

Hey Bruce,

So Staunton is a good place to stay, just need a place to crash for a bit,

Not sure about 95 in VA, I have done the I-81 in PA and agree it sucks, but with any luck and some prayers the I-81 trip will be one way :rolleyes: (I hope)

I'm headed to SC

The hills I am referring to in VA are those BIG ONES with the "run-away" truck lanes made of sand, those hills make me nervous :unsure: with my trailer brakes.

Anybody know if those are the hills

CJL

Chris, The worst part of 95 is getting around DC. Taking the 81 route you will deal with those hills (Blue Ridge Mtns) Just watch your speed, you can coast down most with out using the brakes. Just don't ride the brakes, if need be turn the overdrive off and the the engine keep your speed down.

Where in SC if I may ask?

BF

York SC, of course you can ask, but you know I don't want to jinx it this time, and the more I say the more I could jinx it.

Chris, When are you leaving? My best map program is at work. Please don't use mapquest or yahoo. They seem to route you to every mcdonalds and 7-11 on the way. There is a White Roses truck stop south of Staunton and north of Ronaoke that has everything for everyone if the family is going with you. If you stop there skip the fast food and hit the White Roses for lunch or dinner.

BF

Not to hi-jack but what mapping program are you talking about Bruce and is it available to us lowlifes.. I hate MapQuest.

Good luck with whatever's going on Chris. Be careful on that drive, ok?

Uncle Billy

Hey Uncle Billy, Microsoft has the best I have used so far, because you can choose what vendors you want to see. Or like I do you can turn all the crap off and just look at the roads.

BF

i have not used the one bruce speaks of, but i like google maps. its real good and even gives you a picture maps of the last few streets which makes it easy for those that are challenged at reading directions while driving like my better half.

mike c

Chris, just got back from SML outside Ronaoke with my boat and it was a nice trip down 81 much better than 95. I tow with a 1500 gmc p/u 5.3 and 3.73 gears and it's not a problem. Just coast down the hills and you should be fine. Use old mo to get up them. The big hills start going into NC forgot what rd but you should be fine.

CJ

That map program has secret roads--must be smoother, less traveled, with cheaper gas. I've driven both roads from your area and from others NE points south to SC. Given the situation you are describing and given that you want to minimize risk while traveling and potential maintenance issues later, I recommend you use the I-95 route, then near Durham cut over to I-77 south to York. As for the other map programs routing you past every Mickey-D's or 7-11, where can you go in America without passing either [or similar chains].

ps: Good luck in South Cackalacki; great people, great area, and great fishing.

CJL - I-81 is infinitely a better choice than I-95. Having been up and down both, you will find less traffic overall on I-81. I would second the choice to stop over in Staunton as it gets real rural real fast much past there. The other possibility is to stop in Harrisonburg, which is a bit north of Staunton and a bigger area (i.e., more motels, etc). Staunton is really the first big hill in VA and might as well be well rested to tackle it in the morning versus pulling in there in the evening.

I agree with others its not that big a deal, but just one to approach with respect and you'll be fine. My only other pieces of advice about I-81 are not to be surprised about the number of big rigs (i.e., Class 8 semi-trucks) running up and down that road. Seems most of the truckers have discovered its a better N-S route than I-95; and to watch your speed. VA troopers allow ten miles over the posted limit, but not much more. They use radar heavily on I-81 and radar detectors are illegal to use in Virginia (if you have one, best to leave it unplugged and stowed in the boat - under Virginia law, if the detector is within reach of the driver or any other passenger - i.e., in the glove compartment - even if unplugged, the presumption is that its "in use" or capable of being "in use"). While they can't "confiscate it," it can be seized as "evidence" of an infraction.

Finally, not to scare you, but in Virginia, speeding of 20+ miles over the limit or in excess of 80 mph will get you a "reckless driving" charge, which is a class I misdemeanor (same as DUI). It is a criminal charge (as opposed to a civil infraction which is what other speeding tickets are) with penalties that include fines of $2,500 and/or jail time. Yes, Virginia is a bit nuts about speeding issues!!

Good luck!

Jim C. YOU SOUND LIKE A LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER. YES THE TROOPERS IN Va. have a tendancy to write alot of summons. But don't bank on ten miles over the speed limit. They can issue you a summons for 5 to 7 miles over the limit. Just for your information 20 miles over the speed limit is an arrestable offense in the state of Va. I do have alot of trooper friends.

Hey Lucky:

Not an LEO, but I do have some legal training. More to the point, I have had a few speeding tickets in my youth! I also used to drive a Camaro and have owned several motorcycles so in my 15 years of living in Virginia, I like to think I have a pretty good feel for what most of the troopers will do. The bottom line is respect - for the roads, the traffic, the speed limits and the troopers themselves. I have never been stopped or even looked at for driving just under 10mph over the limit at highway speeds - and I have seen the traps I've run through (usually after they've "pinged" me). Of course, I also avoid weaving through traffic, going significantly faster than the flow around me, etc. Again, its all about paying attention and being respectful of what's going on around you. That and a bit of luck!

Back