Quantum Energy vs Shimano Curado

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dennis Hamer

Reaction score
Which one would you choose? What features helped you come to that decision? Just looking for some advice before I purchase my next reel.

Thanks

this one is easy. get the curado. pich both reels up and you will see why. the curado is smoother, better built, has better brakes, casts better. I had a bunch of quantums and i was replacing them almost yearly because they would break, and they would start to feel old and worn out after only a couple of months. I replaced them all with curado's and after 3 years they still work and feel like new. Im glad i made the switch because i would rather buy a reel and have it last for years instead of buying new ones every year. the shimano is a superior product compared to a quantum.

i really like the curado, especially the super free model. i have never tried a quantum to compare. its hard to go wrong with the curado.

jd

Other than my 1 Quantum Iron I have, I have not owned a single Quantum that I haven't had problems with, and I've had over 12. Again, all but 1 have had to be returned, repaired, or rebuilt. I use Daiwa now and love them, but Buzz uses Shimano's and I tried one, I would go with Shimano.

Hey Dennis,

The only quantums I've had success with are the MG Series. I've tride other Quantum Baitcasters and they don't hold up. The only negative thing about the MG's is that they are tall and bulky like a round reel.

If you are looking for "low-profile" reel go with the Curado. I'll be switching to the Curado's myself over the next few year too. I like the low profile and the comfort of how it fits in my hand.

Marke

Comfort and fitting in his palm....er I mean hand is important to Marke! LOL

Dennis, I have 7 Curado's and could not be more satisfied with their durability and performance. Go Shimano and you can't go wrong.

hey haystan are those cronarch's left hand crank? ill buy them from you if they are. being able to adjust the brakes for me anyway dosent matter. all my curado's and calcutta's are setup up the same was as far as brakes go (i just turn them all off anyway). no matter what lure i use or how much wind i never change them. I found a setup that works for me and i stick to it. the only adjustments i make are to the cast control knob under the drag and the drag itself.

The Johnny Morris pretty reel may have 462 ball bearings, but it's the QUALITY of the bearings and internal components that matters. The mirror finish is sexy, but sexy doesn't catch fish (I'm sexy and I don't catch fish :) ). Take both reels fishing for a year and see if you aren't buying another Curado to replace that pinnacle reel that sports Uncle Johnny's name. I bought one with the rod back when they were on sale for $199. I took it back and got a Curado. I firmly believe that the Shimano Curado is the BEST reel for $120. Now, if you're trolling lead line in saltwater, it's not the right reel for you :). Any Shimano built in Japan (check the bottom of the reel seat) is a quality reel that will give you years of dependable service.

Honestly they are both solid reels and you would not go wrong with either one. You will always find someone who has had a lemon with either brand. I have returned Quantum and Shimano reels both that "Blew Up" on me.

I personally like the feel and quality of the Qantum Energy....not to mention a far better price than the Shimano.

Corey

I look at my rack of rods and find that I've got 13 Shimanos.....

Curados, Saharas and Spirexes.

Plus..... 3 Abu Garcia Royal Expresses, a couple of BPS $40 round reels and a Diawa PS2L-5B.

Not to mention several old, inexpensive Shimano TX/FX spinning reels that I keep around as loaners.....

Over the years, I've bought and tried many different makes and types of reels. I've consistantly found that I am far more satisfied with the offerings from Shimano than any other manufacturer. Not to say that others aren't just as good - just that the Shimanos suit me.

me!

P.S. The Curado 101 also meets two of my needs that some manufacturers don't even address..... It's left-hand crank and the small size fits my hands.

Over the years I have had both The Quantum and the Shimano and I feel they are both great reels. Only had to return One reel. It was a Shimano but the replacement works great. I feel it depends on the Individual. In certain situations I like one reel over another. Flipping, Crankbaits, Spinnerbaits, etc. Just have the store you plan on buying your reel from put each reel on the rod you plan on using it on and just see which feels more comfortable to you.

Earlier this year, I did a survey of what reel manufacturers we all used on a regular basis. The results were:

Casting Reels:

Shimano - 38

BPS - 30

Abu - 11

Quantum - 11

Lew's - 7

Others - 5

Spinning:

Shimano - 16

BPS - 9

Abu - 4

Others - 7

Do a search using the words "reel survey" and you'll be able to read everyone's comments.

me!

Latest posts

Back