propping suggestion/help?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Major Mark

Reaction score
hoping some of the knowledgable gurus chime in here.. I was at the Milw Boat Show & talked to the Merc tech person in their booth, whom wasn't much help. I'm taking deliver of my new Targa mid-March & want to be sure the dealer puts the proper prop on it for what I want the boat to handle, as it may be early in the year to water test it with him upon delivery & he's about 125 miles from me, I'd like to get it right on the 1st try. It's a Targa 17WT converted to a DC (windshield changed to twin SC black screens )w/115Opti. I'm not as concerned with top speed as I am with holeshot & quick plane. Figure 2 people (500# about), gear, fuel, etc.. What would be a prefered prop to be sure is installed? I'll probably make do with the stock alum prop for the 1st year or so, then get a SS somewhere down the road. For this year I've stuck all the extra cash in electronics upgrades, charger, extra seat, spare, TM upgrade, etc... What pitch/size prop is suggested & what performance could I expect then?

Thanks,

Maj

Congrats on the new Boat--

I have a 03 Targa 18sc with a 115 4stk-- I had to play with props to end up with th right Prop. Pat Goff gave me some great help in this. I ended up with a SS 4 blade PowerTech 15pitch.--5800rpm / 40mph(gps)

Maybe someone with the 115 Opti. can jump in.

I'm not sure what prop Comes on your set-up.

Like you said -- SS later on is a good option..

Check-up the Merc. prop selection web site -- It may give you a idia??

Good Luck - HaleDamage-----------------------------RickHale

http://www.mercurymarine.com/prop_selector

Rick,

the prop selector is not usable, you can't select less then an 135Opti

Pat

was hoping you'd chime in, the motor is a 2005.. I want it propped for holeshot/fast plane, while reaching close to maximum WOT rpm.....

Hey Mark. I'm the Customer Service Mgr. at TMBC in Detroit. Tracker's specs call for a 13 X 19 Black Max aluminum prop. However, if you can scrape up the extra cash, take Pat's suggestion and get the SS prop he recomended (I believe that's a Power-Tech part #). And BTW, you're gonna love the way that boat runs with the Opti!

Craig

appreciate the words of advise.... what would a cost of that SS prop be, shipped to Wisconsin? Ignorant question next, what do the vents do? I've read posts about opening, closing, small, large etc... email me with price if prefered instead of open forum, I probably will do that after I get the boat in the water in spring...

Latest posts

Back