Proper starting procedure

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed Risley

Reaction score
Hi all, Newbie here. I stumbled across this site recently, doing research for a boat which I have since purchased. It is a 2001, nitro 175 fish and ski. It came with a 90hp Mercury oil injected 2 stroke. My question here is: what is the proper starting procedure for this motor? When I bought the boat, the previous owner pumped the ball a few times and it started right up. He told me that if you push the key in as you start it initially it chokes the motor to aid in cold starts. I took it to the lake, pumped the bulb 3 times ( it became hard), pushed & held the key in and turned it, it fired but quit. I pushed the key in again and held it in and proceeded to flood the engine? It took about 20 min to finally get it to start, but then it ran like a top, started and stopped numerous times without a hitch. Do I push the key in and hold it in while turning it over, or push it in and release while turning it over?

I have the exact same boat (with a 75 hp) oil injected 2 stroke 3cyl. I've owned it since new (2001). I was told when purchased to pump the bulb (with engine level trim), turn on power switch, advance throttle (rev limiter), turn key to on and push key 5 times then start without pushing the key in. Has worked well for me the entire time. My engine is cold natured too and may take a couple of times to start 1st time. But, after that she puuuuurs.

p.s. It floods very easy if you continue to push the key in while attempting to start.

I have the same motor as Ed and agree with firedog, these engines are prone to flood quickly, pump bulb till hard and choke one time and if it doesn't start just try starting without the choke........

I have the same engine as well and follow what Mike does but with the fast idle advanced just a bit. Mine never starts first time without the throttle being advanced. Once warmed up the engine fires up right away.

ok here is what i know, Bob feel free to correct me if i give bad info, on any of the carb motors, the electric "choke" is not a choke in the sense of the word, what it does is opens a solenoid, which in turn opens a port to allow more fuel to flow. Now, when i had my 75 and any other carb motors i have helped with, the advise given on advancing the throttle is very valid, but, pumping the key does not do a thing, you do need to push the key in, turn the engine over, every engine has its own favorite timing for how much you hold the key in, if you taket the time to learn your engine, you can learn to get it to start and stay running the first time with little proplems, so push, crank, after it fires, let up on the key, it may take a bump or two of the key at that time to keep it running........i have thought many weekend anglers/boaters at the ramp, when i got tired of waiting for them to get the engine started, and they never had a problem again

My 90 is the same way...just bump the choke while it's running to keep it going until warm.

Wow what an awesome site, lots of knowledge out there for us rookies!

Thanks everyone for the tips, tried it in the driveway with the elephant ears on and it started right up, sputtered, I bumped the key, advanced the rev limiter and after a min or so she purred.

Ed

Once it's warmed up they tend to fire right up.

My motor has a few bullet holes to prove how tough it is:lol:

if you taket the time to learn your engine, you can learn to get it to start and stay running the first time with little proplems, so push, crank, after it fires, let up on the key, it may take a bump or two of the key at that time to keep it running........i have thought many weekend anglers/boaters at the ramp, when i got tired of waiting for them to get the engine started, and they never had a problem again

We're all trying to help here with good advise and I'm sure the OP is happy to hear from each of us.

In my case, having had my engine since new and for 12 seasons now, I'd say I learned my engine. Also, the procedure I stated for mine has worked every single time with no delay in starting. I'm sure some would need a different approach but, I just stated what works for my engine. Never tied up a ramp in my life. Launch and load faster than 2 people do in most cases.

Latest posts

Back