Prop Suggestions

• Thread starter Michael Trepper
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrepMan

Reaction score
OK i'll join the party!! I know its an Astro, but a bunch of you OLDER guys have run the Pro-Craft (Astro) boats in the late 90's/early 2000's.

Astro 1800 150XR6, 5400 RPMs WOT (max range is 5600), prop is a Trophy Plus 23p (no idea if its been worked or original). Motor is in the 3rd (middle of 5) hole bolted to the transom.

Holeshot is great, top end 56 on the GPS lightly loaded, and 53 with all my gear and a full tank of gas. Not a rocket, but i know the fish/ski is a heavier hull, and not the same pad hull as the bass boat.

So, i've got a brand new trophy plus 24p in the garage, I assume that would theoretically drop my RPMs a hair but might give me 1-2 miles more top end but could be at the cost of hole shot?

My first V6, so whats the thoughts? Nothing wrong since i've just got the boat, but of course I want it all!!

Trep

I'd definitely try the 24 out, especially now in the cooler months, and see if the top end is worth the holeshot loss, if much noticeable loss at all. Trophy props overall are generally better regarding holeshot than the bulk of their same pitch counterparts in the three blade variety as they provide a good bit more bow lift. Another one to consider on that combo of yours is a 21P Hi-Five. (5 blade) If I remember correctly, that hull really did well with the smaller pitched Hi-Five for getting skiers up fast with a decent top end strung out. It would be worth borrowing one from a dealer or prop shop and, if you like it, working a trade for one of your Trophy props after its performance is checked and to your liking. Then you could have the best top end wheel for fishing T's with the boys and after a quick swap pull them both up in tandem skiing. Good luck! ;)

I am not sure the 24 is the way to go. as you move up in pitch you will lose rpms and you are already low.

Doesn't sound like you have a jackplate but I would suggest raising the motor as long as you have good water pressure.

as you raise the motor your rpms will come up and this results in more top end.

3 blade props will typically be faster than 4 blade props on the top end, but 4 blade work well for holeshot and handling.

In the end the only thing you can do is try. trial and error.

Trep,

I would try the 24 for sure, its free since you already own it and you have nothing to loose. Worst case you take it off and sell it. I dont think you will pick up any speed with it. I own the same prop and compared to my worked up 24 tempest its 5mph slower.

It sounds like you are pretty close to dialed in. If it were mine i would want that motor right at 5600 rpm on top fully loaded. the xr6 likes to rev. you can turn that 5600 all day and not worry about it. What i would do is talk to a prop blueprinter someone like DAH in Wisconsin and have them tune it for you. They can get that extra 200 rpm pretty easily and most likely gain you some tome end and more lift too.

Latest posts

Back