Prop Question For A Pro Team 175

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert Jordan

Reaction score
I am still having a problem with the dealer I bought a new 75 hp Optimax from when I repowered my 2002 Pro Team 175 Tracker. The boat came with a 40 hp. I repowered in December to avoid the Spring rush at the boat shop. I have been able to get 5.5 hours on the motor. I can only get 4500-4600 rpm at wot. They put a 13.5 X 21 prop on the motor. They say that is the correct prop but the online Mercury Prop selector says I should be running a 13 X 18 prop. I called Bass Pro in Cincy and talked to the guy in their shop and he says they put a 13 X 19 prop on a setup like mine. Either way a 21 pitch prop seems to be to much. Does anyone out there own a Pro Team 175 with a 75 hp motor and if so what size prop are you running? What is your top end speed? Tracker says I should get 41-43 mph. I have a trip coming up in 12 days and I want to get this right.

Thanks.

Pastor Bob....I have a PT 185 with a 90, I use a 13x21...motor is set up on the second from the top bolt hole and it runs 5500/5600 RPM's at 46/47 GPS with just me in the boat with gear and full tank. Maybe it's not the prop??

rob,

the 13x19 is the correct prop for this rig.

you are only running a 75hp a 115hp on a z-6 uses a 21" a 150 on a z-7 runs a 23" do the math. you poor littel 75hp is being asked to push a huge wheel no wonder it cant muster any rpm's get the name of the person you spoke to in cincy and keep it for your records.

if the dealer that did the motor swap wont pay for the new prop, then refer them up the tracker ladder (skweaky wheel get's the grease) tracker will eventualy cover any costs if you push them.

mike ,

i was not working for tracker while the 185 was in production so i dont recall the specs all that well but but your rpm and top speed at wot sounds inline with what you may expect from that package with a 90hp .

but robs 175 a smaller lighter boat with a 75hp less motor calls out a 19" pitch prop

because the 75hp canot take as big a bite of water as your 90hp and still be able to push the proper rpm range.

i also have a clear memory of how this package has been rigged for the 75-100 175txw units that i sold to my customers during my time in tracker sales.

the setup that cincy recomends is exactly how my customers purchessed their units.

rob i wish you good luck i'm sure the service dept in cincy will treat you great should you need them.

mike sounds like you've got that 185 ticking like a timex watch.

Thanks Joe, I felt that way too as it hums like the mad hatter looking for the hawgs, I am very satisfied with the whole package....:)

I thought each drop in pitch raised your rpm 1-200 rpms. Dropping to a 19' pitch should raise rpm 2-400 rpms but your rpms are still low. How low is your motor? What happens when you try to trim up more? You should be able to get the bow & rpm up.

Pastor Rob - I suggest you try a 19P aluminum or a 18P stainless prop. Run each prop tried at WOT keeping it under max RPM's of 5750 trimmed out and bumped back a hair to achieve maximum capability. I've attached a quick link at the bottom for your engine specs. Good luck and have fun on your trip! ;)

Mike - On a similar note, If you can get your hands on a 21P SS (possibly dropping to a 20P) prop you might surprise yourself with the handling and top end between the two metals of the wheels. The aluminum has a great deal of flex felt in handling and top end where the SS stands firm and true, but a tad more weight wheel to wheel on the shaft eating a few more RPM's. If you have easy enough access to try props, you will not regret this experiment. Good luck! ;)
http://www.mercurymarine.com/engines/outboards/optimax/1.5L/

Latest posts

Back