Prop ding

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chad Mitchell

Reaction score
Had a very bad weekend,cold front blew in before a tournament started and bashed my boat on some rocks. Scratched the gelcoat pretty bad and knocked several chunks out of the fiberglass (no leaks thankfully). Getting that worked on.

Also scratched up the lower unit and chipped off about 3/8 in from the tip of the skeg.

I found a bend in one of the blades of the prop. I think it came from hitting wood while idling during a previous trip. If you look at the blade (from the edge inward) it looks like someone took their thumb and bent a small piece back. What ever did this didn't even scratch the paint on the prop.

My question (finally ;)) is will the damage to the prop and skeg cause future, ie more costly, problems?

Very likely it will cause future problems. Get the prop repaired or replace it. The skeg can be repaired also.

Craig

1fish,

If the prop is at all out of balance it could and probably will cause the prop shaft seal to go out. and of course you know what happens whan the seal goes out, water in the lower unit and that ain't no good. the skeg you probably will never know the the difference, that's one of its purposes is to protect the prop. fixing it is your choice, but the prop is a must if you don't want any future big lower unit expences. KENNY

Can I take a mallet to it and straighten it out myself, or do you need some fancy equipment?

Latest posts

Back