Presidential wanna be

• Thread starter Richard Whittemore [IMG]http://www.zjstech.net/~l
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard Whittemore

Reaction score
Here is a pic of Hanoi Jane at an anti war protest.

Look just above her head...who do you see???

John Kerry

'nuf sed...
HanoiJaneKerry.jpeg

Both have that... "I don't have a clue" look about them....

I decided to remove my post because I don't come here to read about politics, so I will pass on this discussion.

Cass :)

Thanks for the picture. I needed a new one to make my 100 yd targets out of.

fatrap

The guy goes to Vietnam, serves honorably in a combat zone in time of war. He sees firsthand the issues of that war. He comes home with misgivings about our involvement and excercises his right of free speech to protest the political context of our involvement.

Now, a generation later, it is widely believed by many Americans that the Vietnam War was flawed foreign policy on the part of the U.S., and that the price was awfully high. There is also ample evidence that the political reasoning behind the war was flawed.

That's not a statement about the people who fought. It's a statement about the decision makers and the decisions made.

If anything, Kerry's actions suggest he is enlightened as well as courageous. Blindly continuing to support something when your heart and brain are telling you otherwise is not the kind of character I want in a President. It takes courage to follow your convictions, even if unpolular (ask GWB about that).

And, by the way, I am not a Kerry supporter. I'm just tired of people confusing political free speech with some type of moral assault on the military. We don't exist to support the military. The military exists to defend our freedom. While offered thanks is always a good idea, automatic, blind alignment of politics is not.

well put,....and to give up on GWB, in the middle of a war on terrorism when we are overwhelmingly winning,..would be a HUGE mistake IMHO.....let the dude finish the job he started. To change foreign policy right now would play right into the hands of the bad guys.....sure, he's made some unpopular decisions and the economy could be better,...but show me a President who HASN'T made unpopular decisions in the past or who hasn't dealt with tough economic issues....I'd like to know where the Dems stand on the war in Iraq and specifically the War on Terrorism and what they plan on doing about it,......if they plan on continuing to kick arss...that's fine,...but if they want to kiss and make up....then the Terrorists win..AGAIN!!!

GWB has got them down.....and he's whaling on them....to let them up for a breather would be a serious mistake IMHO!!

This is one thing we HAVE to finish...and as long as we're on a roll..why change drivers?!...Just my opinion...

Did you see the article about how Al Queda supposedly now has nukes? Bought them from the Ukraine and that they would only detonate them inside the US. I think it's time to put an end to this crap. Wipe em' out!!

Get er' Done!!

TOXIC

Rich,

(and all others)... I wish that we didn't have to discuss politics here... On the other hand, I have such respect for the people who do come here that I am compelled to engage in "civil discouse" when I believe that comment is necessary...

I do not want to make this a long meandering historical perspective. But, a few "points" are necessary for focus. (1) The Soviet Union and it, and China's policy of sponsored "client" conflict was a very real threat to all of western democracy. (2) There is no mistake that the Soviets meant it when Kruschev said; "WE WILL BURY YOU". (3) The "Cold War" was far from "cold" and it was "fought" on a global scale... The "tactics" and "strategy" involved military and political efforts. (4) We ultimately won...but that win was not a foregone conclusion. In fact, if our politics, foreign policy and military efforts had not chnged in 1980 with the election of Ronald Reagan; many historians believe that the outcome may have been different.

What does this all have to do with the "protests against the war in Vietnam".... I am not attacking the person here; Rich stated:

"Now, a generation later, it is widely believed by many Americans that the Vietnam War was flawed foreign policy on the part of the U.S., and that the price was awfully high. There is also ample evidence that the political reasoning behind the war was flawed."

I disagree with two parts of that statement. In my opinion, the political reasonaing was not flawed. The aftermath of our withdrawl is ample evidence of the very "right" nature of our desire to protect and foster some kind of democratic social and economic system in all parts of the world. The "Killing Fields" in Cambodia and the "purges" and "resettlement" that took place in South Vietnam are ample evidence that we were the defenders of the "moral high ground". Our goal to defend "democracy" was correct. And, we did our job, both on the ground there, in Vietnam, and in fact in all of the world.

In truth, there is a significant, and growing, group of historians who believe that in the "big picture" Vietnam, on balance, achieved its goal of preventing an ever widening war of liberation and Soviet dominance in the "third world". All of south and southwest Asia remained outside the Soviet sphere of domination. Uprisings in the Phillipines, Malaysia, Indonesia and elsewhere, including, Central America, failed. The excesses of Pol Pot in Cambodia and the ruthless nature of the "spoils of vistory" in South Vietnam were not lost on the rest of the world.

Yes, the price was tremendously high. But, the price of freedom has never been cheap.

Vietnam represented flawed politics, but not flawed foreign policy. The protesters were correct in one way, we were waging that war incorrectly. Had we used all of our military might, boldly. Coupled with tough political choices the military aspect of the war would have been less vague in its goals... Most analysts now agree that had we followed the initial successes of the Tet battles with a full scale air assault on North Vietnam, the Chinese and the Soviets were both prepared to force the North into a political settlement, then and there. (See Brother Enemy by Nayan Chanda, a History of Indochina after the fall of Saigon, as just one source that comes to mind.)

So, as I said, I disagree with Rich's quoted assertion. And, thus, I get to my point. Kerry and Fonda represented a position that at it's extreme, (certainly in Fonda's case) advocated (put very briefly) that we were "the bad guys" and that Uncle Ho represented "the good guys". That is not the case. And, that is where I find fault with "them". John Kerry didn't get it then and he does not get it now... We are the good guys, not perfect, but very well intentioned...

I am sorry, but far, far, too many of my men and the thousands of others who paid the u

Greg, it is sad that, because I choose to evaluate the Vietnam War's political context in a light different than yours, you believe I am demeaning the sacrifice of those who lost their lives. The U.S personnel who fought and lost their lives, fought and returned home hurt, or fought and came home whole, are no less honorable than the French who fought there before them, or the Vietnamese who fought with us or against us. A soldier who serves in battle and follows the legal orders of his/her commanders should be honored. But to be forced to say that because they sacrificed, we must see the larger result in a certain way, is flat out ridiculous.

If I speak badly of slavery or sesession, am I dishonoring the honorable Confederate veterans? By your logic, yes.

I don't think John Kerry believed Uncle Ho was the good guy, any more than 99.9% of Americans think Saddam Hussein and Osama Bin Laden are good guys. He thought we shouldn't be fighting Uncle Ho.

You have enough depth of thought to recognize that thinking critically about a situation does not dictate choosing a specific, pre-bundled set of conclusions.

If you want moral high ground as the driving argument in U.S. foreign policy, we better get revved up, because people are routinely slaughtered by the countless thousands by evil doers. Militarily, we let lots of those situations go when it's not in our current political interest. Congo, Sri Lanka, Rwanda, Somalia, Chile, South Africa, etc. etc. etc. We've missed lots of opportunities to claim the moral high ground.

Context matters, and if you are going to ignore it to put neat bowties on your arguments, our discussion will be pointless.

Time to eat Crow...

Well, guys I guess I opened Pandora's box with the post.

The subject is too controversial.

I had Kerry stereotyped as a draft dodger and I was misled by another who echoed my false belief. Just as now, I am taking Rich's postition that he did serve. The previous adminstration promised "they would be hunted down and punished". Which never happened until GWB got in office.

I also live in the fear that what has been started will fall by the wayside. This attack needs to be finished and GWB will finish it if re-elected, or having it continued into (if he serves two terms) the next administration to finish. Be it Republican or Democrat this action must be brought to an end.

I have not supported the position of being the world's police department. I dislike the current police action where our boys are being killed by a foe more furtive, sneaky and underhanded as the VC.

I am regretful that I made this post half-cocked.

I appologize and I will not start anything like this again.

Cass was right.

Lets go fishing...

Okay... Rich... Strike an argument against my conclusion then. You do not addrees my (and that of many other current historians) central assertion:

"In truth, there is a significant, and growing, group of historians who believe that in the "big picture" Vietnam, on balance, achieved its goal of preventing an ever widening war of liberation and Soviet dominance in the "third world". All of south and southwest Asia remained outside the Soviet sphere of domination. Uprisings in the Phillipines, Malaysia, Indonesia and elsewhere, including, Central America, failed. The excesses of Pol Pot in Cambodia and the ruthless nature of the "spoils of vistory" in South Vietnam were not lost on the rest of the world."

Tell me what you believe the world would look like in 2004 if we had not actively and militarily opposed the Soviet's client war in South Vietnam. If we had not been willing to pay a price in blood and treasure what would be the current political state in Central and South America.

Next, you are correct; "We've missed lots of opportunities to claim the moral high ground." But, maybe, just maybe, in the long view... Now that we are in fact actively engaged in opposing terrorism and other real threats to world peace... a peace that is central to our own American self interest... We will, one, seize more of those opportunities to show who and what we really are... And, two, there will be fewer needs to do so because "evil doers" will be deterred...

I for one cannot argue with the reality that the other choices; ignoring things or letting the UN deal with it... did not work. "The Congo, Sri Lanka, Rwanda, Somalia, Chile, South Africa, etc. etc." all exist in the real world and the UN has not been effective.

In Vietnam I looked into the eyes of people terrorized by the existence of war. I believed then, and I still believe, we were trying to bring those people freedom and a better life... Better choices could or should have been made by politicians in 1946, 1947, 1948...etc... But, appeasement, cease-fires, establishing "neutral zones", all of the non-military solutions attempted from 1954 through 1974 only brought more misery, death, oppression and destruction to those people and their neighbors.

The basic premise I am asserting and defending is (1) that by 1960?-1963, only a military solution could have been used to save the situation. And, (2), our military efforts on the ground in Vietnam were a significant contribution to the ultimate victory in the broader "big picture" cold war with the Soviets.

Finally, I would hope that you would rethink your analogy... Our involvement in Vietnam has no comparison to the Southern defense of slavery or secession. I can and do believe that the Confederate Soldiers were brave men. But, I believe they were fighting for an unjust cause.

Our "cause" in Vietnam was not an unjust one. Poorly executed, maybe. But, ultimately, because the political climate at home turned away from the effort... we lost the political will to succeed. Had the debate been about the failed tactics... Had Jane Fonda railed against Lyndon Johnson's micromanagement of the war effort... Had John Kerry protested the manner in which the war was conducted... Then I would enjoy seeing their smiling faces. They did not... they, in my opinion, contributed mightily to the efforts of the opposing forces... they helped turn the American people against the war effort and ultimately contributed to the deaths, pain and suffering of the hundreds of thousands who died after our government left. Frankly, I am saddened and embarassed that we did...

Richard...

Frankly, here is one of the few places on the internet that you "CAN" start such a thread. Rich has created and fostered, at least in my opinion, one of the finest sites open to the public. Here, among friends we can and do discuss contentious issues and all go away at the end friends.

Although, after all this bitter weather I am definitely ready to go fishing... March 7 can't come fast enough for me...

Richard,..Greg's right,..some of the best threads on this board have been "controversial" at best,..I love a good debate and there's always something to be learned from all the points of view that are expressed here.....there's a good bunch of intelligent people here and some pretty good arguments made for a wide variety of topics.....people that don't want to participate don't have too...but I like to read everyone's opinion on a lot of stuff.....it helps me make better decisions on the water,..at the tackle stores and in the voting booth.....everyone benefits from that whether they admit it or not!!..LOL Now,...about Al Sharpton's Hair....

I have a keen "interest" in hair Greg,....i just don't "own" enough anymore!! LOL...it's like the rich vs. poor thing,......some folks have more than they need and...some don't have enough...and the gap keeps getting wider! My folicle count falls way below the poverty level,...I just have to KEEP THE HOPE ALIVE MY BRUTHA!!!!...ahahahha

Mac - I know i'll get beaten for this one, but...

On rich vs. poor and your hair. There is a HUGE difference! Most of the poor are there by making poor choices (drugs, not finishing school, getting pregnant...) but you had NO CHOICE in your hair dude!!!

Greg, we can only speculate about the world without an American conflict in Vietnam. However, I offer you these examples of Communist expansion where our efforts to intervene were indirect/passive:

- Poland: Communism fails without a American shooting war

- East Germany: Communism fails without a American shooting war

- Romania: Communism fails without a Americanshooting war

- Yugoslavia: Communism fails without an American shooting war

...and for that matter, all of eastern Europe behind the Iron curtain falls without an American shooting war

- Afghanistan: Communism fails without an American shooting war

- Cambodia: Communism fails without an American shooting war

Among many others that escape me at the moment.

My point is: Sometimes self-determination is a messy, bloody affair. The people of Vietnam and N. Korea are reaping what the Communist leaders of those nations sowed. It doesn't work as a system for a variety of reasons, and hence those countries are relatively poor and outcast on the world stage.

Would the Soviet Union have fallen without a American Vietnam War? Unknown. Would communism have flourished without an American Vietnam War? Highly unlikely, due to systemic issues with communism. China is doing a fair job of slow internal reforms as they deal with the reality that their system in pure form doesn't let them compete on the world stage.

You said: "I can and do believe that the Confederate Soldiers were brave men. But, I believe they were fighting for an unjust cause."

Translation: You can respect the men without respecting the motivation for conflict. You fail to allow me the same lattitude regarding Vietnam.

Rich,

When President Reagan met with the Soviets in Iceland, and the Soviets proposed massive arms reductions we (the American Political and Military leadership) knew why. They were on the edge of financial bankruptcy. We would not budge and in fact floated "Star Wars". The Soviet Politburo, a finely balanced mix of power bases, primarily military, bureaucracy and party, went into disarray. The internal chaos led directly to the fall of the Soviet Empire. Poland, Romania, East Germany, Yugoslavia; all of the Soviet puppet states were doomed. They all relied heavily on financial subsidies. Subsidies that were not going to be forthcoming. The Soviets had told them so. So, all of those regimes, individually and collectively, fell with the fall of the Soviet Union. Admittedly, it was not a sudden, instantaneous disintegration, but as we know it was fairly rapid. When the Soviets lost access to hard western currency as a result of their internal financial chaos, it was all over.

No one disagrees that in the competition between the Soviets and us; we won. I am simply asking you to take a long look back, back to the very edge of the post WWII "Cold War". The client backed revolutions began then. China, Korea, and others in the Asian area. In Eastern Europe, where Soviet troops occupied the countries armed conflict was unnecessary on their part. They had troops in place. Stalin perceived his best opportunity lay in the immediate post war era when an American public was weary of war. When western Europe was weak. He saw it from a very clear position when he met with a sick and weak Roosevelt in Yalta and Tehran. Read some of Churhhills memoirs. He saw clearly what was before us, the West. But, he could get nothing out of Roosevelt except the very brilliant Marshall Plan.

Look to the Russians first "volley", the Berlin Blockade. Stalin moved troops onto the "corridors" specifically reserved for the four powers use in getting access to Berlin. We had no Army in place... But, we did have an AirForce that was formidable and credible. So the cold war began as an air war... We flew everything West Berlin needed into the city through the Air Corridors where Stalin wisely chose not to contest the issue. But we resisted the "attack".

And, that is my point... It was not necessary in all cases to resort to a pure military response. But, in some places it was necessary...when it was possible. It wasn't possible in all cases or necessary. However, as with Poland, East Germany, Czechoslovakia, all of eastern Europe... ask the troops who were stationed there... There was a very significant military opposition to the Soviet threat. It just didn't involve shooting. But, absent those troops do you really believe that we would see a free western and eastern Europe today.

Had Americans not stood their ground in various ways around the globe for the 45+ years after WWII, there is no doubt in my mind that the world would be a very dark and scarey place.

Ask the Czecks of the Spring of 1968, the Chinese of Tianiman Square, the Vietnamese people, the Cambodians (BTW Cambodia today is still run by a "Prime Minister" first installed in power by the Vietnamese after the invasion of Cambodia by Vietnam, so they are not even close to free..), and countless others who saw the Soviet, Chinese, Vietnamese, "communist" fist about "self-determination". There is not yet "self-determination" or even a timeline for it in most of the communist dominated areas of Asia.

None of these countries we are dicussing have any form of real communism... They are all autocratic, despotic, totalitarian regimes. They flourish as long as they are allowed to flourish (or as long as they can retain power at the point of a stick) and as long as they can siphon wealth from the economy.

Our involvement in Vietnam began when we brokered the French wit

Mac,

You have no "interest" in hair... only "memory"....

Greg, Rich,

Great discussion!!!!! Ain't it great to be in the USA? Greg, All I can say is you are amazing. I like your history lesson. I've actually been taught something today. Thank you both.

Mac, It's just barely visible, kinda fuzzy and out of focus, but I can see you with a Sharpton do :)

Greg, you are (artfully) blurring the lines of the discussion.

You seem to now attribute my position to one of not globally opposing communism (Berlin blockade, heavy NATO military presence in Europe, the Cold War in general, Middle East stalemating, etc.).

Feel free to explain how you concluded that was my point of view.

So we are clear: In general, my position is that American foreign policy regarding the containment of communism was generally well executed, with few exceptions, from 1945 to 1989. Vietnam was the worst exception, in my opinion.

My contention is that a small sliver of land in Southeast Asia, of limited strategic importance, limited natural resources, limited military importance, and limited wealth, was a poor place to dig in to make an ideological point. And, I believe, history bears that out. We retreated in 1975, and the strategic impact was...pretty much nothing. Because there was nothing in Vietnam to fight over, except ideology.

Fast forward five years to Afghanistan and a direct Soviet military action. Having been burned in Vietnam and in no mood for a far flung adventure in the mountains against the Soviets, we tried diplomacy and arming the local population, who were well motivated by their own ideology. Worked pretty well. Soviets eventually beat feat, licking their wounds.

If you choose to view Vietnam as one more straw on the pile that breaks the communists by 1989, fine. But to think that war cost the communists more than the US is folly. It cost us militarily. It cost us economically. And it cost us politically. All in far great absolute numbers than any other party to the war.

Now, what else do we disagree about?

P.S. Big history buff here, too. Have read many 20th century political and military books, seen many documentaries. I understand what took place, and choose to see it differently than you do.

I wish I could have said what Rich said.....

Rich,

Have you been to the Viet Nam War Memorial in Washington? I was only there once, about 12 years ago. As I approached, the closer I got, the lower my jaw hung. I kept thinking "It's so much bigger than I expected...." Then as I go closer I wanted to cry as I thought "Look at all those names....."

I hate politics..... But the other night, I saw Kerry on tv saying that he supported those who went to Viet Nam. He also said he supported those who were Conscientious Objectors and those who went to Canada. I admire the man for taking that kind of stand - not because of any of my own beliefs, but because he DID take a stand regardless of what others thought. That took guts.

me!

Rich,

I will answer this, your contention;

"My contention is that a small sliver of land in Southeast Asia, of limited strategic importance, limited natural resources, limited military importance, and limited wealth, was a poor place to dig in to make an ideological point. And, I believe, history bears that out. We retreated in 1975, and the strategic impact was...pretty much nothing. Because there was nothing in Vietnam to fight over, except ideology"

I and many other who are now critically examing all that happened in the light of history and a long view disagree.

Our principle involvement in Southeast Asia began in 1954 with the Geneva Accords, ending the French role. In 1954 SEATO (Southeast Asia Treaty Orgainzation) was created. (Australia, France, the United Kingdom, New Zealand, Pakistan, the Philippines, Thailand, and the United States were the member signatories. It lasted until 1975 and was formally dissolved in 1977.). It was a political, economic and military treaty in direct opposition to communist aggression in Southeast Asia. Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam was not signatories because they were designated as neutral countries, purportedly to be free from foreign domination. The first significant activity began in Laos where the communist backed Pathet Lao sought to gain control. In May of 1962 at the request of the Thai government about 5000 Marines were deployed to Thailand to counter Pathet Lao activity in southern Laos that directly threatened Thailand. Next was the American buildup in Vietnam itself. A military presence under the terms of the SEATO treaty but not directly sanctioned under SEATO command. Originally, troops from Australia, New Zealand, South Korea, and Thailand were deployed at one time or another. By the way, the Austrailian presence continued on a limited scale up until 1972 when the last Australian Instructors left in December. Our active, on the ground, military opposition of communist forces in Southeast Asia over a period of 11 years (1962 to 1973) was an effective effort and had a major stategic impact on the free world.

We were making more than an ideological point in Vietnam. The domino theory was accurate. The ASEAN (Association of Southeast Asian Nations) countries, Philippines, Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore and Thailand had the political will to resist and stayed free of Communism because of the U.S. commitment to Vietnam. The Indonesians threw the Soviets out in 1966 stating that it possible because of America's commitment in Vietnam. Without that commitment, Communism and Soviet influence and control would have swept all the way to the Malacca Straits, south of Singapore; an area that is of great strategic importance to the free world. Vietnam was at the northerneastern tip of this South Asian territory. So, yes Vietnam did have a very significant strategic role. And, we were holding the "moral high ground". Americans who deliberately killed civilians received prison sentences while Communists who did so received commendations. From 1957 to 1973, the National Liberation Front assassinated 36,725 South Vietnamese and abducted another 58,499. The death squads focused on leaders at the village level and on anyone who improved the lives of the peasants such as medical personnel, social workers, and schoolteachers.

Finally, you said; "We retreated in 1975, and the strategic impact was...pretty much nothing. Because there was nothing in Vietnam to fight over, except ideology." Well by 1975 the battle against communism in South Asia was over. No "war of national liberation" was left anywhere else in the region. However, the Vietnamese and Cambodian people were still there and there was a significant aftermath or fallout, as you will, maybe not strategically, but of grave importance to them and to me and some other people. In the two years after the fall of Saigon in 1975 (two years after the last US troop

Greg, thanks for the history lesson.

You danced past my first point: How did you make the transition, in your mind, from my original posts, that my comments on Vietnam meant I did not support other US efforts to contain communism?

You stated..."Well by 1975 the battle against communism in South Asia was over. No "war of national liberation" was left anywhere else in the region."

Vietnam was communist, Cambodia was communist, and our leaving created a void that could have been filled by China or the Soviets. How was the war against communism over other than us choosing not to fight it in that region anymore? Or, perhaps, the war was originally much more limited in scope than the Dominoe Theory puts forward, the threat less than that told to the American people? There were more people living under communist rule in Southeast Asia when we left Vietnam than when we started. How can you possibly construe this as the threat being over? Were these countries not a threat to their neighbors? Were they not aligned with Sino-Soviet influence?

Twisted logic, my friend.

1) You stated; "You danced past my first point: How did you make the transition, in your mind, from my original posts, that my comments on Vietnam meant I did not support other US efforts to contain communism?" I got the idea from your posts. You questioned the foreign policy. I stated that I disagreed with your original premise that our involvement in Vietnam represented flawed foreign policy. In exact language, you said; "it is widely believed by many Americans that the Vietnam War was flawed foreign policy on the part of the U.S... There is also ample evidence that the political reasoning behind the war was flawed." That sounds a lot like you disagreed with the foreign policy that led to our involvement in Vietnam. I believe that I have made a substantial case that our foreign policy of opposing communist expansion in South Asia brought about our involvement in Vietnam. And, I believe that I have made a more than credible case that our "policy" succeeded.

2)Next, however, you do take further issue with my claim of victory... You state; "Vietnam was communist, Cambodia was communist, and our leaving created a void that could have been filled by China or the Soviets. How was the war against communism over other than us choosing not to fight it in that region anymore? Or, perhaps, the war was originally much more limited in scope than the Dominoe Theory puts forward, the threat less than that told to the American people? There were more people living under communist rule in Southeast Asia when we left Vietnam than when we started. How can you possibly construe this as the threat being over? Were these countries not a threat to their neighbors? Were they not aligned with Sino-Soviet influence?"

Well, here, I will try to encapsulate it for the sake of brevity. Again, by 1973 there were no wars of National Liberation, no credible communist insurgencies anywhere in South Asia. In 1962 there were active communist supported insugencies in almost all of the countries of the region, In 1973, none. From about 1970 and continuing after the fall of Saigon, the countries of China, Cambodia and Vietnam were locked in competive struggles of their own. Communist China invaded Communist Vietnam. Communist Vietnam invaded Communist Cambodia. The Pathet Lao no longer threatened Thailand. And, for the most part Laos was neutral again. The Soviet Union was concentrating its efforts in Africa. In Vietnam the Soviets and the Chinese were tired of being played against each other. As I stated, from documents now made public in Russia, the support for North Vietnam was on very strained terms. From 1969 through the eventual Paris Peace Accords, the Soviets pushed the North Vietnamese very hard trying to get them to come to terms with the US. From about 1972 or 1973 they covertly tried to restrain the North from further attacks in the South fearing a renewed American resolve. In point of fact, they had withdrawn from the game way before we did. And, up until the short lived regime of a Soviet puppet in 1978 in Afghanistan no Soviet backed faction had gained control of any country except Vietnam. The Chinese backed Pol Pot in Cambodia. And, the Chinese had no support element anywhere else, supporting any large scale insurgency. In fact, by the mid 70's (largely as a result of Nixon's policies toward China) the Chinese were ambivalent towards any "liberation movement" giving only lip service and little material support. Preferring instead to court favor with the West, America in particular. At this same time there was a significant frost to the Chinese and Russian relationship as a direct result of artillery battles along the disputed Manchurian border in 1969 and continuing sporadically thereafter. In 1973 there was a different alignment on the opposing side of the client war than whenit began in 1962/3. So, while Saigon fell and Cambodia did also. They were not in the mid to late 70's the feared results that

Greg, I have trouble with the premise that our losing effort to stem communism in Vietnam produced success in stemming communism elsewhere in the region. Your entire argument hinges on the idea that if we hadn't fought in Vietnam, neighboring countries would have easily succumbed to communism, when only ten years later, with a vacuum created by our absence, and firmly entrenched communist goverments in Vietnam and Cambodia, those same countries are suddenly immune to communism.

Frankly, it sounds like a argument entirely concocted to justify a poor strategic approach, with a ready audience of people who have an (understandable) emotional attachment to our failures in that region.

Rich,

This keeps getting more expansive in minute details... But, I will later today (after work) "splain" most of it. Basically, it has to do with some very fast paced developments in some of the larger and more potentially vulnerable ASEAN states and patterns of ideological divisions with the largest two communist nations, China and the Soviet Union. Indonesia in 1965-1967. Malaysia in 1969-1970. British foreign policy changes. American success in the region. Austrailian involvement in the region. Soviet and Chinese ideological splits.

Interesting discussion, but my head hurts trying to follow this. Kinda like watching a tennis match, when you are too close and sitting in the middle.

Where's my Excedrin!

Tex

I'll lighten things up.....the guy in the beard and shades looks like Brad Pitt :)

Man my head is hurting....iam not worthy, iam not worthy (ala Wayne and Garth)

The best thing about this, on any other board this post would have gone down in flames with people bashing each other.

By the way, Rich & Greg, great debate!

Rich D

Bruce,..I thought it was Jim Morrison!! LOL

JR,..Don't even go there!! I'm fishin' this year...and I've got a cemetary's worth of skeleton's in my closet,..the opposition would have a field day doggin' my hiney!! LOL

That is one of the amazing aspects of this board... Even when someone is far off base... (j/k) it does not degenenerate into name calling... In fact, it's why I am willing to discuss such an issue here rather than keeping my peace. It is amazing how little public discussion of political issues remain civil. I find that many times people neither want to know the truth or are unwilling to listen if the position is not already in line with a preconceived notion.

Relative to this... As an aside, one of my college professors was a roommate of Alger Hiss. John always believed that Hiss was innocent (the Pumpkin Papers concerning Alger Hiss are what gave Richard Nixon his prominence while Nixon was counsel to a Senate Committee investiigating communists in the government). I have an autographed copy of Hiss' biography, a gift from John. So, I too always believed that Hiss was innocent (he was implicated as a Soviet Spy). Today, as a result of declassified material from Soviet KGB files it is widely believed that in fact Hiss was an agent or at least a source for teh KGB.

History is a living "thing" in this respect... Analysis of history requires a tremendous amount of background material. Nothing ever happens in a vacum. An illustration... Ariel Sharon came to power largely because he courted the Israeli far right by advocating the aggressive expansion of settlements in the occupied territories. So if you were to classify him historically prior to 2004 you would see him as a prime force behind the settlement movement. Just this month, however, to keep the peace process moving (and to retain power, probably) he has now esposed the abandonment of almost all (only six will remain under his proposal, and those are six closesst to the Israeli border) of the settlements in Gaza. How do you classify that shift... pragmatism, politics... Or, did Sharon suddenly see the light. Neither, is likel;y to be true... It became an issue with regard to US support so he was forced to shift.

My head hurts too!

We have some real fart smellers (smart fellers) on this forum.

I'm glad I bowed out early.

Be like me taking a knife to a gunfight.

(I hear the Jepardy theme playing in the background)

Who'll win? This is the best debate I've seen in a long time.

I could never get into a debate like that here...I type so slow that by the time I get a few lines down,I forget where I was going with my story.

Note to self...never get into debate with Greg or Rich.

Latest posts

Back