Power trim,, Why isn't it working?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a 1996 160 TF Nitro with a 75 hp tracker on it. I went to the lake about a month ago and put it back in my garage. Yesterday I wanted to get it ready to go to the lake today, but the power trim is not working. Doesn't move the engine at all.

When I press the button I hear like bubbles inside the power trim.

Any idea why?:eek:

Fluid leak? Air in the lines? Mine makes the bubbling noise once in a while but if I hold the switch it will still go.

TOXIC

Here is the deal. I checked all of the above mentioned.. no oil leak, and it does not move the engine.

Now, i discovered that if i try to start the engine, I get the beep alarm, but when I turn the key to start the engine, it just makes a sound as if I had a short somewhere. the battery gauge goes all the way down (batteries are fully charged), but I don't get a sound at all from the engine.

Pleeeease... some help. Any help.:wacko:

There are many here more versed than me in diagnosing problems but if it was me, I'd start tracing wires to make sure you don't have a short and redo all of your grounds. I doubt that the engine tone has anything to do with your trim problem unless there is a short but it sounds like a bad ground. Are your batteries fully charged?

TOXIC

It sounds like a dead cranking battery or a conection at the battery. Take the battery out and have it LOAD tested, a battery can show 12.5 volts and still not have any amps to do any work?

BF

This sounds like a problem I had, batteries fully charged and good load test, but no crank and no trim motor. Turned out to be dirty connectors, 2 minutes with a wire brush on the battery terminals and the connectors, it was good as new.

wow,, all of this advise sounds very, very familiar.

Not too long ago, I had to remove my batteries because the connectors were very dirty and had acid. Cleaned them and put them back and recharged the batteries.

Now, I did also cleaned the back part of the boat where the batteries and wires are located and sealed it (to make it look good ) and i tried to move some of the wires away and tight them together so it look more organize in there.... but in the mean time I probably pulled a ground loose, or not sure... so I do need to check that as well.

Please follow up again this weekend, as I will be following your advise then.

Thanks a million for taking the time to reply... I always get good advise here..love this site.:D

Latest posts

Back