pH and Bass ??

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Stinson

Reaction score
I've been reading some articles on how important the right pH is for bass. Several times the article mentions a meter to read pH, temp and dissolved oxygen. They call it a multi-c-lector. It is also suppose to tell you what color is most visible to the fish at different depths. I can't find any info on this meter anywhere on the net. Anybody have one or know what it is?

Sorry, can't help, I saw it on a show a long time ago. I thought at the time that there are a lot of other easier factors that were going to tell me where the fish are before I have to meter the ph. I thought of it as kinda overkill.

TOXIC

It does seem a little cumbersome, but the water quality apparently does have a major effect on whether or not it will hold bass. It seems like it might be a fast way to eliminate unproductive water.

This device was developed by Dr Loren Hill and was quite popular back in the 80's. I had the plain Color-C-Lector and there was a couple of instances where it seemed to work pretty well.

A fellow in my club years ago had the Combo-C-Lector and I saw that in use once where it worked. We were fishing a productive point in the fall and getting nothing. Not even seeing many fish marked on the electronics. The wind had been blowing hard from the north for three days directly onto this point. We took a Ph reading and it was nearly off the scale (on the high side). We then moved to the other shore where it was protected from the north wind and checked the Ph again. This time it was in a tolerable range, and sure enough we started catching fish.

I don't know if this device is manufactured any longer but Ebay may be a place to look.

I still have my color-c-lector and a seperate Ph meter....

I like to use in new waters to quickly elimnate unfavorable water.

Mini

I had one and sold it through the swap-sell board on the BFHP last year. I dont think it really made a difference in the waters I fish. South Jersey lakes are generally acidic due to all the cedar in the pinelands. Water Ph always read low no matter where it was taken. I think a better device for finding optimum water would be one that measured dissolved oxygen. Don't know if there is a direct corrolation(sp) between Ph and dissolved oxygen.

damuniz

That's too bad. It sure seems that it would be helpful. Maybe someone else will start making them again.

Bill dance and Roland Martin did a combo article recently and they were talking about how important dissolved oxygen was. However, I haven't been able to find any easy to use and reasonably priced meters to measure either pH or DO.

BPS sells a dissolved oxygen meter through the internet site. Use the search function - keyword oxygen. It should come up.

I still have mine and it was used quite often in southern Va., in a river that was feed by a swamp. Helped a lot.

We now use it in Lake Erie to find the ph and thermo breaks fishing for Eye's.

We are adding another LCR to help find thermo breaks easier.

When we find the thermo break then we look for the best ph.

I still have mine and it was used quite often in southern Va., in a river that was feed by a swamp. Helped a lot.

If anyone is interested in purchasing the Combo-C-Lector, I was talking to someone today that has one. Make an offer.

Marke

Marke,

I have a Combo-C-Lector that lives across the lake from me. I just call him up at work on a Friday and find out what depth, structure, lure type and color to use. And it's usually pretty accurate!!

Bob G.

Yeah but it only has 2 readings..."Fat Albert Grub" or "Jerk-bait"...LOL

Bob,

That sounds like Mac's Combo-C-Lector before tournaments....lol

Mini

That's ALWAYS tied on....don't need a gadget to tell me when to use that!!! LOL

After fishing the rally last summer, I keep one rod with a Zoom grub tied on and most days it is the only one that I use.

Bob G.

Latest posts

Back