PETA question/comment

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich Stern

Reaction score
We always use the bug-on-the-windshield example of how PETA members are probably as responsible for the death and suffering of animals as the rest of us.

The other day, I was digging a trench in the back yard, trying to fix a drainage problem. And, unavoidably, I'm murdering worms in large quantities.

So, the question came to mind: How does one grow food without harming worms?

I'm thinking of starting an anti-PETA site: WhoSpeaksForTheWorms.com

Do they wash their hands or dishes with anti-bacterial soap?

Harpo

I've been looking on the PETA web site trying to find a mission statement or something that puts it out on the table exactly what these people stand for. I've looked and looked but can't find it. All I can see is People For The Ethical Treatment of Animals. What does that mean? Maybe I just can't find it. If someone can please lead me to it.

A group you definately don't want to ignore.

I did see where their president has made her will so that when she's gone, part of her skin is to be tanned and made into leather pocketbooks, etc. Strange.

i think PETA people are from another planet.

jd

I think the "ethical treatment of animals" is a very worthy cause and one every person should support. ETHICS are in the hands of the individual though and that's where we all part ways.

I don't bowfish and personally find the idea of shooting a fish with a bow and throwing it on the shore to bleed/suffocate to death repulsive. However, I also know that the carp and gar and bowfin (grennel), etc DO hurt the populations of better "game" fish.

As for putting lipstick in a rat's eye to see if it blinds him, well, not much on that either. If you want to wear lipstick, don't shove it in your eye, silly!

BUT, where I do part ways are with fish feeling pain. If I were TRULY so blamed ethical and it were proven that fish feel pain, fishing for sport (catch and release) would be something I'd be against. However, I'm not against it and if you can prove to me that fish feel pain, I'll still go fishing. I figure it's better to feel the pain of a hook in the mouth than it is for me to filet it. And, I do filet fish too. So, all in all, I'm semi-ethical. I can live with that.

Mike, regarding lipstick in the eye: I can tell you, from having worked at a consumer packaged goods company, that testing products on animals saves people from a lot of harm. I know of at least one personal hygene product that didn't make it to market because lab animals gave their lives to prove it was carcinogenic.

LOL at Mike being "semi-ethical"! Good one! I like that! Me, too!!

I know how Dave feels, too..... I used to do a lot of hunting..... Then, about 12 years ago, I had two heart attacks and a quintuple bypass..... Somehow, hunting lost it's appeal..... Life became very sacred to me..... With catch and release - both the fish and I win..... I can't do that with a gun..... Like Dave, it feels so good to me to catch a beautiful brown trout and slip it back into the water! Like Dave, it kinda brings a tear to my eye! Now, by the same token, I fully support others in their enjoyment of hunting - as long as it is done "ethically" as most hunters do. It's just that it is no longer for me.

I don't care if the rat is wearing lipstick - I ain't gonna kiss it!

me!

Just remember guys, we have to MANAGE our natural resources. If there were no hunters, huge herds of deer would starve and become diseased. Catch and release is great but it only works if the fish population is controlled. 100% catch and release would stunt the population and create many problems. Never be afraid to, or feel guilty from, filling the livewell with the legal number of fish in the legal slot for a fishfry.

TOXIC

Isn't it AMAZING how the black bass has become a "protected" fish? I always chuckle when people get angry about keeping a largemouth bass. 20 years ago, you kept everything you caught! Now, something's sacred about this one type of fish. Stripers, hybrids, sandies, bluegill, crappie, catfish, etc are all just fine for the knife, but save the blamed largemouth! I give up... :)

The local Boy Scout lake (private) didn't benefit from any sort of population management for many, many years and the impact of it has been very difficult to overcome. There was very little to no fishing pressure, and few natural predators.

The Missouri Conservation Dpt shocked the lake in 1993 and found that the fish were stunted and starving. Their bellies were concave rather than rounded or fat. The heads of the bass were oversize compared to the rest of their bodies. Their recommendation: impose a 12 to 15 inch slot limit (keep everything under 12", elective catch-and-release over 15", and mandatory catch-and-release between 12" and 15"). We were also told to take as many green sunfish out of the lake as possible, and to attempt to harvest 3,000 bass per year. The first year's creel survey showed that a grand total of 618 bass were taken out of the lake. We held several fishing rally's and father/son events in an attempt to get more fish out of the lake, and eventually got up to a harvest of 2,800 bass.

The results have been really impressive. The health of the fish population has improved (although the size is still an issue). Bellies are fat, the fish fight vigorously, 100+ fish days are becoming less common.

PETA thinks it stands of the side of poor, defenseless fish. But I would challenge them to look at a pre-management bass and a post-management bass and tell me that fishing hurts. Their plan would result in forcing fish to starve. And, for the fish, that's not a pleasant thought.

I worry contantly about all the homeless bacterium I displace everytime I take my daily constitutional. I suppose if I better start bagging it up and sending it to PETA.

fatrap

MAN i'm gonna cry! I have to mow the lawn and i KNOW i'm gonna skin a HUGE number of worms, bugs, lizzards and the occational frog/snake! Ahhhhhh.

You know, i'm reminded of what Mufassa said to Simba in the Lion King. I don't remember it exactly but it goes something like "Son, we are all part of the great circle of life. The wildebeast eat the grass, the hyena's eat the wildebeast and we eat the hyena's. When we die we call go back to the earth and the process starts all over again."

So, is PETE out there in the Pet stores protesting the feeding of Cricket's to Snakes??? What about getting on a plane to the African Desert and try talking those Lion's into eating more ruffage!!! LOL

I'm beginning to thing that PETA is not really in it for the protection of animals. By the sheer absurdidy of their actions, I think they are just trying to get people who are ignorant of the real issues, to fund their cause. That would explain the "shock" value (but not the models...LOL). If they were really interested in animal welfare they woud be standing guard on heavilly poached Black Rhinos and not advocating "birth control" for deer herds. Let's face it, they are in it for the $$.

TOXIC

Like everything a good and decent idea gets taken to the extreme. I am also for the ethecial and humane treatment of all living things. I think it only shows intelegent stewardship of our planet. BUT! Where do we draw the line? I also think it's obsene to kill an endangered wild animal to make a coat or a pair of cowboy boots, but I drive along and see thousands of cows standing around waiting to be eaten by other animals higher up on the food chain. Why not make coats and boots out them since we're going to cut 'em up anyway? I know the PETA folks say we shouldn't eat meat but I say that being carnavors is what gave us the big brains to have the lifestyle to be able to sit around and have nothing to do but worry about the ethecial treatment of animals in the first place.

OH NO! There's a fly on my bean sprout sandwich. Should I capture him and take him to a cow barn to live happily ever after or should I squish the filthy little S.O.B.? I hate always being stuck in the middle!

Harpo

Hmmmmm,

Now I'm all nervous and upset, in about a month I'll be putting Grub-x on my lawn, should I put up little warning signs around the yard for the little grubbies? "Warning, in 24 hours, a grub killing application will be made to this area" Nawwwwwwww, I think I'll just apply the stuff...

I really wish I knew where these people were coming from, or what they are trying to accomplish.... what do those PETA members do when they have a headache? cancer? major medical problems? PMS? well, we know they wouldn't dare take and aspirin,tylenol,chemo,radiation,Midol,etc... seeing how at some time or another, they've all been tested on animals or lab rats or mice, before getting to the mainstream for use. They walk everywhere? We know they wouldn't drive, seeing how carbon monoxide and emissions have been tested on animals. I just don't understand what it is they are against, maybe I'm way off base with this. But I do know I'll be out there fishing, and good luck getting this Extreme combo outta my hands..... egMike

Hey Dave, have you been feeling a bit down lately? We're here for your pain bro but don't cry over released fish. Hell save the crying for things like runnig out of beer or compound fractures.

PETA people have rights to voice their opinions and I'm glad they do-it often serves as my amusement.

Latest posts

Back