Opti's RULE!!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill McElroy

Reaction score
Ladies and Gentlemen,...THIS is BOOKIN'!!!!

Mercury OptiMax 200XS Outboard Sets 102.099 MPH World Speed Record

Clifton, TN, November 4 -- Team Jaco driver Bill McClain of Lawrenceburg, TN, driving a Mercury Racing 200XS OptiMax outboard-powered Allison XB 2002 bass boat, set a new 102.099 mph Pro Stock Bass 200 outboard world kilo speed record today on the Tennessee River. The records, governed on-site by American Power Boat Association (APBA) officials, require back-to-back speed runs over a straight-line, one kilometer course. The record is the average of two consecutive speed runs.

OptiMax is Mercury Marine's low-emissions, direct fuel injection two-stroke technology that meets Environmental Protection Agency 2006 emissions regulations and California Air Resources Board 2004 standards.

McClain, who celebrates his 37th birthday tomorrow, flew through the traps at an average speed of 102.099 mph, upping the existing Pro Bass 200 class world kilo speed record by 1.143 mph. McClain set the new record on his first set of passes. The original record was set October 22, 1996 in Oak Ridge, TN by Team Jaco driver Scott Sisco in a Mariner Super Magnum 200 EFI outboard powered Allison XB 2002 hull. Sisco's record was one of six new APBA outboard bass boat kilo speed records set by Mercury Marine. Mercury broke existing records in the 150hp, 175hp and 200hp classes set by Outboard Marine Corporation in 1991. Mercury also broke the speed record in the Pro Bass 200 Unlimited class, and set records in the newly established "Pro Bass Unlimited" and Pro-Stock Bass "Low Emission" classes.

The APBA Pro Stock Bass Boat class speed records rules call for bass boats that retain production boat identity, i.e. fishing decks, colors, graphics, seating, etc. while allowing latitude in construction, preparation and set up to permit higher speeds. Outboards must be production units that are available to the public in quantity. Minor modifications are allowed to the gearcase and propeller. Minor blueprinting of the boat bottom is allowed as well. Boats must met the minimal weight designated for the class, including driver and remaining fuel as it is lifted from the water upon completion of the record run.

Additional records slated to be set today by McClain include Pro Stock Bass 150 and Pro Stock Bass 175. Paul Nichols of Chattanooga, TN is also attempting to set a record for the newly established Pro Stock Bass 250 class.

Send this article to a friend

Back to Bass News

Copyright

WOW and I thought "Need for Speed" was just a video game. Thats fast!

Cass :)

I want to see what the 250 does if the 200 ran over 100 mph!!!! Set the water on fire is right!

HAAAA, read my post below Mac, that's EXACTLY what I just said! LOL Ah the sting of truth!

Look out tin boys, cause our heavy hitter just stepped up to the plate and when he strikes, he goes straight for the throat! Subtle, and indisputable!

My first boat was tin...I loved it,..and it served me well for 6-7years!! So I'm allowed a shot or two occasionally!! But everyone on this board who has been around awhile knows I have a real soft spot for that Avalanche.....Tracker's on to a good thing there.....it needs to be a foot or 2 longer though to really capitalize! Time will tell.....

Mac

(shhhhh) me too, but don't let Mo or Trep, or Rich hear that! I'd love to see a 20 footer with a 225. Based on what Bassin's boat did with a 150......yeah buddy! I haven't ever seen hole shot like that out of a tin boat, and the cornering.....hmm hm hm, I mean, it's nice and all, BUT IT AIN'T GLASS......(they didn't hear that first part right?)

Hey Mac. Talk to Ken about gettin a 175 to put on that last red Avalanche we have, and let's take it out on Clair and see what she'll do!!!

Craig

Did I jusr read that right? Mac AND Rob extolling the virtues of a "TIN" boat! There may be a glimmer of hope for the both of them yet! NOT!!!!!!

I like this new guy! He's got guts. Not much brains, but lots of guts! LOL More than most of the tin boys. Of course he ain't the brightest pumpkin on the porch being he's messing with the glass guys AND he actually thinks tin is better. But you have to admire his spunk. Coming out blazing, that's what I'm talkin about! You keep it up tin man, and someday with lots of effort, you might make us break a sweat. But NOT today! LOL BTW, welcome to the family Tinboy, sorry Tin MAN hehehehe, you don't normally get razzin this good for weeks, but in your case I'll make an exception.

OK I conceed, glass rules! We on the tin side aren't worthy. I would never extoll virtues of tin. Somebody must have used my sign on to type that, like I am this. No sir wasn't me. I would never do that. I'm glass thru and thru. I even wear fiberglass matte underwear, which explains that chaffing and itch......geeesh!

See, this is what I'm talking about. All glass guys can do is make an issue out of the owner, not the boat. Give 'em speed, appearance, short-term resale value, and ride. Beyond that, they got nuthin'.

Fishability, maintenance, affordability, durability, long-term resale value....these and many more are the domain of the tin men.

Okay GLASSBUTT - If you are so into glass I guess you drive a Corvette huh? Didn't think so. Betcha it's made out of mostly "tin". Speaking of underwear - it seems to me somebody once said something about you wearing PINK SILK PANTIES.

HEY, leave my underwear out of this! And no my truck is not tin. I wish, then the crappy Chevy metal wouldn't rust. Should have never got rid of my Dodge.....$$@%$%^#$% stoopid chevy....@@#$%#^$^ hate dat chevy$%#$%@#@# stoopid chevy!

oh corvette? NO WAY, it's a chevy! stoopid chevy !$#$#^^@# LOL

Hey, Mac!

Do you see this???? Do ya??? That's a loyal friend for ya.

Come to the light side, Mac. Come toward the light.....

I may have you mixed up with someone else on the board - but don't you drive an OLDSMOBUBBLE BRAVADAHAHAHA. If not then my apologies.

p.s. Rob - I got TWO Dodges! Hee Hee!!!!

I own one, therefore reserve the right to slam the $#@% out of it. Disclaimer: If you like Chevy, good for you! I don't! LOL Have had nothing but trouble with all 3 I have owned but have had 2 Chryslers and 3 Fords with over 200k and all but 1 of them and NO problems! NOW, give me a new Trailblazer and we'll talk.

Please see Olds Bravada in blue book, same engine, tranny, interior, exhaust, frame and specs as a CHEVY BLAZER! OR GMC JIMMY! Don't give me that garbage again. It's a chevy in Olds clothes, "pig with perfume on"

Rob - read your post on "winterizing" your boat. Here in PA we winterize our boats by wearing long underwear and replacing the cooler with a thermos of hot coffee. We fish until ICE forces us to stay home.

What does that have to do with color of ice cream with purple chicken bones in Florida??? Tin Man, the fun getting to be too much for you? You shot off onto a whole new tangent there. We pit north against south in the other posts. This one went from tin vs glass to me bit$@in about my chevy. Let me know when you catch back up ok? LOL

Here in Michigan, we follow the Coast Guard ice-breakers around and fish all year!!!

Ken - I think Rob is getting a little frazzled. Cabin fever is starting to set in WAY TOO EARLY.

I knew that! Hey aren't you supposed to be heading to Springfield to offend some female bass in the tank?

Mac - Having hit 76 in Dan's 929 with the 250hp, i'll agree with Rob i'd LOVE to see what that would do on an allison or bullet!!! ZOOM ZOOM ZOOM! Oh and how about just for kicks droping that 200opti on an Avalanche for fun!! I'll DRIVE!!!

<i>And the winner is . . . .</i></p>

<p><b><font color="#000080" size="7">EVERYBODY!</font></b>

Latest posts

Back