OPINIONS WANTED

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KEVIN WERHAN

Reaction score
HERES THE STORY, I WAS GOING TO REJOIN A BASS CLUB THAT I PREVIOUSLY WAS A

NON-BOATER MEMBER 2 YEARS AGO. LAST YEAR I DID NOT JOIN BECAUSE I HAD A NEW BABY

TO ENJOY AND ALSO A NEW BOAT TO GET USED TO. I WENT TO THE CLUBS FIRST MEETING, I

WAS GOING TO JOIN AS A BOATER AND WAS TOLD THAT BECAUSE I WAS NOT A MEMBER LAST YEAR

THAT I WOULD HAVE TO BE A NON-BOATER FOR THE FIRST TOURNAMENT. THE FIRST TOURNY WAS A

2 1/2 HR DRIVE AWAY. BECAUSE IT IS A SAT AND SUN TOURN., EACH DAY IS CONSIDERED A

TOURNAMENT, SO I COULD FISH ON SUNDAY AS A BOATER, BUT I WOULD HAVE TO LEAVE MY BOAT

AND TRUCK IN AN UNSECURED PARKING LOT FOR THE DAY, TRANSFER ALL OF MY GEAR OUT OF MY

BOAT AND CONDENSE IT TO FISH ON SOMEONE ELSES BOAT. HERES MY QUESTION, IS THIS A

COMMON RULE OF HAVING TO BE A NON-BOATER FOR THE FIRST DAY OF A TOURNAMENT IN A

SITUATION LIKE THIS?

I HAVE PRINTED OUT THE RULES FOR THE 2008 BASS FEDERATION NATION AND ALSO THE RULES

OF OTHER CLUBS IN MY AREA AND NONE OF THEM HAVE THIS TYPE OF RULE. ALL OPINIONS WILL

BE APPRECIATED!

Fish the 1st day out of your boat as a non participant and fish the second day participating in the tournament.That way you can use your boat both days.

1. I would never leave my boat unattended in any unsecured location for the day.

2. Can't say that I've ever heard that "be a non-boater first" rule. If that is in the club's rules, then so be it. I'm not sure you're in a position to question their rules at this point.

3. COAs that I see are (1) ask if you can get an exemption because you fished as a non-boater previously (2) fish both days as a non-boater and leave your boat securely at home (3) tell the club to pound sand. I recommend COA (2).

If you like the members anyway and really want to join the club,..save yourself the hassle and stress of dealing with the boat, and just go as a non-boater for that first weekend. You'll get to use your boat for the rest of the season anyway, and this will give you a chance to meet and fish with 2 other people that you might not get to otherwise. I agree that it's kind of a silly rule, but you might as well make it easy on yourself and leave the boat home and just take a few rods and your favorite baits and just go fishing. You might even find yourself fishing better, not worrying about your boat in the parking lot, or any of that stuff,......just go fishing and school your buds!

Mac

I would do as Klein suggests #3.2, and then be a boater on the next one. Doesn't matter too much what other clubs do unless you want to lobby for change in the rules for the future.

As a ex member of a Bass Club I give you this much for my opinion. Their club, their rules. You don't like the club rules or they won't give you a variance of the rule this one time, find a different club.

If you like the club and the members just swallow the pill and move on. If it was me. I'd fish the weekend as a non boater and leave my new rig at home to avoid worrying about it left alone in the parking lot.

Did you check and see if they're a odd number of boaters and non-boaters? If they're too many non boaters and not enough boaters they'd probably let you take yours. For your long term reputation in the club I wouldn't make a big wake for now.

Just my opinion and opinions are like @$$holes. Everyone has one and most all stink.:rolleyes:

fatrap

Ive been the president of a B.A.S.S. Federated Club in South Florida for a number of years now as well as fishing other types of tournaments. The short of this is : I have NEVER heard of such a thing, its a rediculous rule. They should be thrilled to have you as a boater instead of a non-boater. Everone knows you cannot have a tournament or club without a boater, in essence...its more important than being a non boater. But to make it easy on yourself, because we know the rules of this club are not going to change with this email. I would have to agree with Mac and say just go fishing. Leave the boat at home on this one. Who knows , someone might turn you on to a new spot you might be able to return to with your boat at a later time.

Mike Gershberg

Bass Pro Shops Pro Staff

President- Royal Palm Bassmasters

THANKS EVERYONE FOR THE OPINIONS, I TRUELY DO APPRECIATE THEM ALL. I AM GOING TO

SLEEP ON IT, AS THERE ARE OTHER CONCERNS I HAVE ABOUT THIS CLUB OTHER THAN THE

ABOVE MENTIONED RULE. ALSO, THERE ARE A LOT OF OTHER CLUBS THAT I AM SURE WOULD LOVE

TO HAVE MY ENTRY FEES.

I think he meant "I agree with Marty, Mac, Berry, and Fatrap ... " ;).

I wasn't going to post because everyone gave good advice, but then you said you have other concerns. My thoughts are you fish a club for fun and to learn, and everyone should work toward those goals. If there have been things you didn't like when you fished with them before, I would definitely look at other options before committing.

I'm about to join a new bass club here in E. Texas. First tourney as a guest as a non-boater - then if I join (need to pass the 'black marble test'), I can do either.

My old club was very similar. Go with the flow, and what you feel comfortable with. As mentioned above, if only for 1 tourney, just go as a non-boater and see how it feels. If it doesn't feel right (now or afterward), then find another club.

My guess is, that there will almost always be something about each of the different clubs, that bothers each of us. I know I was that way with my club in SC - and I was a member there 5 years.

Tex

That rule sucks!!!!! I have never heard of anything like that.... If it is a case of not enough of a ratio between Boaters / Non Boaters , I would call the tournament director and ask him if you can fish as a boater if you can find someone else to bring and fish the non-boater side. That would even out the field.... If you can find someone.

Mike

I would think that the rule is in place to eliminate the chances of some hot shot that just bought a boat and thinks he can drive it like he stole it w/o regards to safety.

I would imagine that they will pair you with a long standing member of the club to "check you out" up close....

I have never heard of it, but it does make SOME sense....

Take others advice and leave your boat home the first weekend. You will have plenty of handshaking meeting new people to keep you busy...lol

This is why guys give up on clubs, to many unnecessary rules and politics. Yes, guys want to qualify for state events and such, but why drive people away with senseless rules, especially since they know you and you are a past member. Club events should always be about fun and getting people on the water. I've been a member of my club for four years and we have no such rules or have I ever heard of any other club with that type of rule.

HP

I am a former club member. every year they call and try to get me to rejoin. They really need boaters. I just don't have the time to belong or I would rejoin. Clubs need boaters and non boaters to stay afloat so to speak. How can you introduce someone to the joys of fishing in a club if you don't have enough boaters to make sure you can accomodate the non boaters. It's not like you haven't been a member of this club previously. One would think that would count for something!

Tim

JUST WANTED TO THANK EVERYONE AGAIN FOR THE COMMENTS AND SUGGESTIONS. I HAVE DECIDED NOT TO REJOIN THIS CLUB. ONE OF THE MAIN REASONS IS JUST BECAUSE AFTER THE FIRST MEETING, LAST FRI., THEY HAVE NOT EVEN TRIED TO CONTACT ME REGARDING WHY I HAVE CHOSEN

NOT TO REJOIN. I AM ONLY LOOKING TO JOIN A CLUB TO GET TO KNOW MORE PEOPLE, LEARN FROM

PEOPLE THAT HAVE BEEN DOING THIS FOR A WHILE, HAVE A COMMRADERY WITH OTHER PEOPLE THAT

LOVE TO FISH AS MUCH AS I DO. I HAVE GOTTEN THE FEELING THAT THEY ONLY WANTED MY ENTRY

FEES. WHEN I WAS A MEMBER AS A NON-BOATER, THEY WERE NOT VERY ORGANIZED, NEVER DID PRODUCE THE CLUB RULES THAT THEY SAID THEY HAD. JUST NOT A GOOD FEELING ABOUT THEM. I WILL EITHER HONE MY SKILLS WITHOUT A CLUB OR FIND ONE THAT WANTS A QUALITY PERSON IN THEIRS. EITHER WAY, I WILL BE FISHIN!!

Latest posts

Back