One more question....for now!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teri C.

Reaction score
The Chevy had gears D, 3, 2, and 1. The Infiniti has D, 2, and 1 and then a button to turn off the Overdrive. I used to tow with the Chevy in 3 (that's what they told me to do). I assume with the Infiniti I should be in D and then turn the Overdrive off to tow but still be in D. Is that right?

Wellll..........LOL Had to Teri, for my hero Mini! LOL

Teri, different majufacturers have different opinions on this. Read your owners manual. Some makers say it's ok to tow with overdrive enabled, depending on the conditions. My Ford manual states that if the transmission is not downshifting fequently, towing with O/D enabled is ok.

It really depends on the load and the terrain conditions.

I had always towed with O/D on (Ford product), but while delivering the Targa last weekend, I switched it off. Made a considerable difference in the 'feel'. I will now turn it off, for both the handling/feel, and to keep the shifting down.

Tex

Sure TT, it's gonna have a different feel, you just overrode 4th and shortened your shift pattern (Ford Automatic tranny). You are also gonna fill your tank a lot more for those added rpm's. If in hilly terrain and taking off from stop lights, I usually turn the OD off (override). Open stretches of fairly flat terrain I let it upshift (OD on).

TOXIC

Teri,

Let the transmission decide where it wants to be. If it starts going back and forth between gears and begins to drive you crazy, then turn off the overdrive for a while. I will turn mine off for a long downhill grade to get the engine braking, but that's about all. Electronically controlled transmissions are supposed to be able to take care of themselves.

david.....

Same here, always in overdrive. But if it starts to shift back and forth, I back off a bit on the skinny pedal to keep everything stabilized.

When in doubt: Shut off the OD.

Toxic,

Understand the shift pattern and such. My point, which I didn't really elaborate on, was that the whole thing (boat + SUV) pulled more consistently, and I felt that it handled better. Since it kept it on a very steady MPH, I just felt that it was a better situation overall.

After all, almost everyone here has said - DO NOT TOW IN OVERDRIVE. Exception to those above in this thread.

Yep, didn't pass too many gas stations pulling through the mountains.

Tex

Tow it with the overdrive off, until you reach speeds above approx 55 mph, then overdrive is fine.

Latest posts

Back