onboard charger

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin Lavely2

Reaction score
Ok, so I have two trolling motor batteries in parallel (12 volt) and a 12-volt cranking battery. Is a two bank charger adequate? Would it be better to have dedicated charging cables for both my trolling batteries or is charging them with one ok? I'm thinking about picking up a Guest two bank with 5 amp output.

If you have to buy a charger anyways and you have room, I'd get a Guest 3 bank charger.

I notice you are also in VT. Where do you fish? I'm in Milton and usually launch out of St. Albans Bay on Champlain.

Bob G. - I'm in Danville and fish primarily around the Northeast Kingdom. I do make it over to the big lake occasionally, at least for the LCI. This year, my buddy and I are planning to fish the whole weekend in Mississquoi Bay. Any tips?

I have the same set up..Justin I have a 2 bank Minnota charher I have one bank on the cranking battery the other bank on the two 12v trollys..On the trollys I have the positive lead on the positive on battery A the negative lead on Battery B and it works great keeps my batteries charged to the max..I leave mine hooked up all the time also and check my water in my batteries once a month or so.

Hope this helps.

Ed

If two batteries are hooked up parallel, they are in fact acting as one battery. The charger sees only one battery and charges the load that it sees. If you add a second charger, it would be simply hooking two chargers up to one battery. Not a recommend situation.

On the other hand, if two batteries are in series, they are individual batteries and will require either a single 24V charger across the two batteries or two 12V chargers, one hooked to each battery.

Something I just learned: My batteries have a minimum charging amperage requirement; 13.62 amps (slow charge) so even a two bank, 5 amp charger would fall short of the minimum. You might check out your battery's charging requirements before you buy.

Latest posts

Back