On board charger that runs off Outboard?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John DeGeorge

Reaction score
I have an opportunity to purchase an on board charger that runs off the output from your outboard, it charges your cranking battery first, then directs all charge to your trolling motor batteries while you run your outboard. I have a friend who has been using one for about 2 years, he only has one trolling motor battery, and a 50 hp merc, he says he always has a charged trolling motor battery, and has had zero problems with it. I would be using it to charge my cranking battery, and two trolling motor batteries, has anyone tried one? They aren't rated by amps, since the charge comes from your outboard, my motor is a Johnson 150 V6, so I would assume it would put out significantly more charge than my buddies merc 50, I just wonder if it would be enough to keep all my batteries charged.

Any thoughts?

John,

I'd like some info on that product. Can you post a link or something?

Thanks

Its called an ISOLATOR...BPS sells them, about $50...one problem is the rather low output and short run time of the outboard...my 115hp OMC only has a 9amp alternator...so it won't recharge my batteries fully but it does help.

Have one on my rig and won't own another boat without it! NEVER run out of juice again! Greg's right...you have to make a mightly long run to completely juice low batt's, but even short runs add just that much more time you can use the TM.

I have one on my 90hp mercury and it always keeps my trolling battery at full charge. But I always check my battery when I get home just in case......

Hey guys, does that "Isolater" replace your on-board charger or does it work in conjunction with the charger you already have???

Works with/off the alternator. You run a set of wires from the isolator to the "starting battery", and a set of wires to the "house battery" (very easy to follow instructions) the unit senses when it is fully charged, then opens an electrical "gate" to your other battery so the alternator charges the "house" battery until it is fully charged. I believe that there are some more "sophisticated" units...

Adam - Which brand do you have?

All - Realize that the charging capacity of MOST systems is dependant on the outboards alternator output. On the big Merc's you have 60 amps to play with at WOT. I have asked Merc for a AMPS to RPM curve on the 200 & 225 motors but have not gotten a response.

FYI - I am looking at the Stealth Chargers....

Mini

Latest posts

Back