ok,who's sending the virus?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JEFF WHITE

Reaction score
got a e-mail from ken,it contains the w32 klem virus,dont know if if he sent it or not,so if you get one containing a file from ken,dont open it.here is the header from the e-mail,or from [email protected].

justa friendly reminder.be wary of any e-mails from people you know even.dont open it.save it then scann it or delete it out all together.even friends you know can get a virus and never know it.

here is the header from my e-mail.

Received: from smtp.comcast.net ([24.153.64.2]) by mc4-f28.law16.hotmail.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC(5.0.2195.5600);

Sun, 27 Oct 2002 12:54:07 -0800

Received: from Wbczhrixw (bgp426927bgs.union01.nj.comcast.net [68.36.201.111])

by mtaout04.icomcast.net

(iPlanet Messaging Server 5.1 HotFix 1.4 (built Aug 5 2002))

with SMTP id <[email protected]> for [email protected];

Sun, 27 Oct 2002 15:54:07 -0500 (EST)

Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2002 15:53:58 -0500 (EST)

Date-warning: Date header was inserted by mtaout04.icomcast.net

Subject: Hello,magna19_,japanese lass' sexy pictures

To: [email protected]

Message-id: <[email protected]>

MIME-version: 1.0

Content-type: multipart/alternative;

boundary="Boundary_(ID_L1m8ox1pdvCRJG/JGmZgMw)"

Return-Path: [email protected]

X-OriginalArrivalTime: 27 Oct 2002 20:54:07.0828 (UTC) FILETIME=[FE1B1940:01C27DFA]

Magna,

Didn't send it, and I believe [email protected] is Tom Mac's e-mail. These viruses somehow do mass e-mailings using any addresses it can get. I receive probably 10-15 a month at work, we are on a very large network.

Another reminder, do not open any attachments ending with .exe

Do ya'll use Outlook? I heard that this virus raids the Outlook address book to find new victims.

If you have a good anti-virus program like Norton Anti-Virus or MacAfee, and update its anti-virus definition files often, you won't have any problems. The virus mentioned above is transmitted by someone using Outlook.

You can't expect to be on the 'net and not pick up a virus so please, spend the $40 and protect yourself and us!

Practice safe-computing!

use outlook for hotmail also,but norton doesnt plug into it to scan hotmail.my isp scans all e-mails at the server and deletes any with a virus in it,sends me a e-mail to confirm there was a virus.

I use Norton for virus protection, and Outlook Express as my email program. If I have Norton set on Auto Protect, does it check the files in my email, or do I have to do make adjustments for it to do so?

The infected computer does not know it is sending the virus. The Klem virus borrows someone elses address from their address book and uses it as a return address. Whoever's address was used as a return address, probably is not infected. All 4 times I was sent the Klem virus it was intercepted by my ISP.

bgp426927bgs.union01.nj.comcast.net

Thats the dns for ip 68.36.201.111

Which points to Union, NJ. So basically its coming from someone in Union, NJ.

i figured i warn everyone here,seeing that we all e-mail one another from one time to another.we dont need to send each other a virus.just a friendly warning to everyone here.i just updated norton av program,and ran a scan to make 100% sure i dont have any on my system.i had the w32 klem a while back when it first come out,someone i e-mailed on another board sent it to me and didnt know they had it.also on my primary isp,caught a dozen or so trying to get through,some from aol,prodigy,compuserve,and att worldnet.

i made the mistake of using my primary e-mail on ebay,and been recieving spam at an alarming rate,as being over 20 a day.blocking does nothing as they change there return mail address every time.even my hotmail address gets spam at about 4 a day.yahoo gets 2-5 a day.

do a update and scan your machines once a week,or when you get a suspicious e-mail with an attachment from someone you know or dont know!it takes me over an hour and a half to do a scan on 2 harddrives,1-15 gig and 1-40 gig.but better safe than sorry.

[email protected] is me I received the E mail from JonPski . This Virus must go into your address book when its opened and then sends itself to everyone on your list . Since my system saves the address of everyone that has ever send me a Email in my address book that why some of you received the virus from me . I was just about to post a warning when I seen this post

I've gotten the same email from Neeley too,...but I knew it wasn't something that Ken would send me (even if we was p-o'd!!..LOL),...so I didn't open it...i figured it was one of those virues sent from someone else using Ken's email...heck, I've probably been blamed for some too and I don't send anything like that to ANYONE!!! Just DELETE anything you don't recognize!! Especially if it's attached to a person'e Email and you know that persone wouldn't send it to you...Ken doesn't have time to send me attachments called "Geisha Girls playing Twister,...MUST SEE!!"..LOL

Mac

Mac,

Soory to "burst your bubble"; but Ken routinely sends out e-mail to me but, you are right to some extent, It isn't Geisha Girls, he collects photos of Sumo wrestlers playing twister...always wants to share/trade... I don't so, So I am just polite (you know the board policy!) I always suggest...maybe Rob... He's been in the sun alot lately...maybe that's his bag too..

Regarding Nortons AV protection...

(1) Be sure you are getting routine updates by checking the latest signature date...should not be more than 6 days old. Also, if your Nortons subscription is current you can access www.symantec.com and utilize the "Intelligent Updater" which will download a executable update. If the instructions there are sufficiently clear I will help anyone by e-mail. Intelligent updater is current daily...LiveUpdate is usually only done weekly. There are usually about 6-10 new viruses each week. So last Wednesday for LiveUpdate is a bit sale.

(2) You must set the options for the following (a) E-mail to scan both incoming and outgoing (causes slow mail..but) (b) "Heuristics" should be set at "maximum"...(c) your scans must be set to scan all files including "zips"

(3) If you do not have Nortons or for that matter any current AV software you can take advantage of TrenMicro's free internet based "HouseCall" at www.antivirus.com and then follow instructions for "free scan"...select "scan without registering" to save time.

Re: AV issues in general...If you use Outlook turn off the "preview" feature...it opens those nasty viruses. If you ISP provided e-mail is not scanned by the ISP you might consider getting a free Yahoo account and using the "Other E-mail" feature to scan your ISP mail by having Yahoo extract this (ISP) POP3 mail...Again I'll help anybody set this up...

Latest posts

Back