Not to start anything, but why does the press still call it the Big 3??

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrepMan

Reaction score
OK Guys and Gals... I know this will probably get some folks ire up, but I keep reading in the mainstream press about the Big 3 american automakers (and not picking on Mac this time!!! LOL) but I tought Mercedes/Diamler bought them years ago?? If Toyota bought Ford, would it be the same??

Just wondering if one of you better read folks then me can answer why when the Government talks to US Automakers it includes Chysler? Personaly, I think there are only 2 American owned Automakers left.

Trep

Trep - I have several theories on this, but early on, I would make statements about defending foreign automakers and get shot down pretty quickly and pretty hard. So I'll refrain from making public statements. I'm more than happy, however, to send you my thoughts offline if you are truly interested.

Jim - email away, I am just a totaly confused IBM manager on this one! I'd think GM and Ford would NOT want Benz/Chrysler at the table for federal assistance!

Man I hope not Steve! Dodge Ram trucks will double in price overnight! :lol::lol::lol:

Pure rumor.

In all actuality, I saw an article on this the other day. Daimler want's to sell off that portion of the company, but the CEO is supposedly against it.

Who knows? Who really cares? All I care about anymore is "will it tow my boat, and last quite a while.... while not costing me a fortune". I could care less what name is on it now-adays. They are all overpriced, and most are gas guzzlers. Want to impress me? Build me a truck that tows a 20 foot bassboat without problems, and let me get better gas mileage than I did with my old Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme with the 350 engine and 4 barrel carb. You can't tell me modern technology can't produce that. If it can't, then our "modern technology" aint so modern. I've had it with $50k pricetags on SUV's that don't even get 20mpg (not towing), or my truck... that barely manages 12mpg towing lately, and 15 at the most when I'm not (2003 Dodge Ram Quad Cab with the 4.7). I don't think anyone makes one worth what they are charging now-adays. Not a one.

All the best,

Glenn

cq its the other way around I believe, Ford has had a majority stake in Mazda the last few years and has for a long time had a stake.

I did hear Benz is looking to sell Chysler.

Trep

Trep, im not sure on the original question. Personally i dont know what to call them at this point. There is no such thing as a truly American car anymore.

Like Glenn it doesnt matter so much to me what the nameplate is on my truck( although i still refuse to drive a ford). There are other things that are important to me. Reliability is #1 in my book( and i dont believe for a second that the imports are any better then the "american" truck in this department), towing my boat is #2 ( a job any half ton will do), #3 is when it breaks( and it will regardless of brand) and i need to fix it(since i do most of my own work) A) will it cost a fortune to fix B) can i souce parts easily. presently GM, ford and dodge will give me that. Fuel milage is also important but the reaility like glenn mentioned is tey all pretty much stink in that dpt. although i must admit i am very impressed with the milage my Chevy z71 gets 15 city, 21 freeway with no boat and 15 towing in the mtns of NH. After my 4.7 Dodge that did no better then Glenns( actually worse) to get better milage with a ton more power from my 5.3 i have no compalints. In the year and 25k i have had the truck its been pretty much flawless from a quality standpoint too, to date its the best vehicle i have ever owned. Im glad i gave gm another shot after my debacle with my 2000 gmc i had before the Dodge.

GM is NOT BUYING Chrysler,...and MAZDA does NOT own Ford!!:angry:

Geez.....

Jim B....thanks for giving us another chance...nice post!!:wub:

I believe Ford also owns Jaguar, Volvo, Aston Martin, Saab as wqell as a large share of Mazda... Not too sure but there may be others...

Isn't there some ownership of Mitsubishi by Dodge/Daimler?

Yeah, that Dodge/Daimler deal was a lot like a snake eating a hog anyway.... However, Dodge got a great delivery truck in the deal... What happened top the "Benz" in every Dodge showroom in AMerica?

Guys and Gals... All of these companies are very much involved in overseas manufacturing and distribution as well as other brands/marques...

What I want to know is who owns Opel now?

American companies? ya right! Look under your hood in your Chevy's,Fords ect, all kinds of foreign parts in there

Ford just sold their stake in Aston Martin,.......

GM ownes Saab and Opel........

of ALL of them...GM still has the Highest % of made in US "content" in our US brands...@80%

Darn Mac... You know I am a Ford Man... Now I can't have a Saab, Opel or an Aston Martin... I so wanted to be 00-F150!!!!:rolleyes:

BTW MacDaddy...

My tournament travel partner just bought a new Chebby 2500 CrewCab Diesel... That is one sharp truck... I would "switch sides" (almost) for one of them... It ain't grandpa's diesel that is for sure... It squeaks the tires at the light if you want it to,,,:eek:

Yep - "Diesels" aint what you remember them being, are they?! I was used to "smoke, no speed, no pickup - but could pull anything, anytime". Now they still have the pulling power, but don't smoke like they used to, have great speed, and chirp tires off the line. Totally amazing products. I want a 2500 Diesel so bad right now... but can't afford one.

All the best,

Glenn

Mike, why does that really matter??? There is no such thing as a truly 100% american car anymore, not that there is anything wrong with that. All of the auto makers are global companies now, they all make parts all over the world. Thats just the way it is. It just so happens that two of these companies are based here in the USA. And some people choose to buy from those companies.

The way i look at it is this in the case of trucks. There are five full sized trucks out there currently. All 5 are plenty capable, and they are well built and reliable if taken care of. Like i said before i also dont see where any one stands out in reliability over the other, they all have thier problems( although toyota owners like to think they are immune) and will have thier problems. IMHO it all comes down to preference.

When i bought my truck last year i shopped all 5 full sized trucks. I spent almost three months shopping trucks and drove a bunch of them. although my preference is to buy from an American company my choice came down to two, the Nissan and GM. One of my reasons for narrowing it down to these two is both buy products from the company i work for(Bose), they generare a lot of business for us, my bonus is better because of them. Also Toyota and Dodge had no interest in selling me a truck, lowballing the trade bigtime and saying the sticker is the price isnt going to compete in my eyes. I never really concidered the Ford because i dont like how they drive, one test drove of a f150 didnt change that perception. In the end it came down to me feeling much more comfortable with the GM product. The Chevy felt more solid and better put together and the dealer was much better to do business with. I for one dont regret my choice one bit, the truck has been flawless, other then the accident where i got wacked on the rear wheel and fender and it spent a week + in the shop getting fixed( i can thank my ins co for that delay). While my truck was in the shop i got to drive a titan that my ins co had rented me. Driving the Titan for a week and a half only confirmed in my eyes that i made the right choice.

If i had to do it again today i would get the same truck i have now( but it would be the new body style) for sure.

Mac, thanks for the kind words. I could not be more pleased with my my truck. I test drove the new 07 GMC last month when I went car shopping with my Sister. She wants to dump her turd BMW X5 and i think i have her convinced on the new Acadia. She drove one and was totally impressed with it. She has driven only german cars for a long time and wanted another. Im totally impressed with the new body style as i was with the Acadia. I think GM is on the right path for sure. the new stuff that is coming out is impressive.

Jim B. If I may ask what about the F-150 you didn't like about the ride? We have the new ( at that time) 2004 F-150 with the triton engine. We find it rides better than most luxury cars and that big platform gives you a ton of room in the supercab. My wife won't give it up for a car now for nothing. Smoothest riding truck I have ever been in and you can't tell if the boat or the 32 foot camper is back behind it with the towing package that came on it. Did you drive the (new) F-150 or the Heritage(old model)?

Interesting responses gang, as always from this broad cut of americana! The reason I asked is 2 fold:

1 - Why GM/Ford would WANT Daimler/Chrysler in the same room when they are negotiating with the government (don't get me started on my views of governement involvement in capitalism, 'nother whole topic :D), and if they let Daimler/Chrysler in the discussions why not Nissan, Honda, Kia, Toyota, BMW... who are all moving MORE jobs and plants to the US and designing and assembling more cars here then they ever have in the past?

2 - Mike's point, we are truly in a global economy, and I don't know diddly about tarrifs in/out of the country and what China/India/Japan/Korea are doing with referrence to importing OUR cars... but as a country do we want to disuade (I think thats the opposite of persuade) foriegn companies to open plants and provide jobs to the US workers? Yes the profits go back to the parent companies home country, but so does GM/Ford's come back to the US when we sell cars in India, England, France, Mexico.... Oh and I did see 1 H2 in India, the thing looked HUGE compared to the sub-economy cars most folks drive!! LOVED IT!

Just expressing a view and as always open to other views and to learn.

Hi Trep

Regarding the jobs comment in your point 1 above and mind that I don't know much on the facts ..

Is the fact that the foreign companies are creating more jobs here due to their growing US market share? If so, is it true that their same growing market share is also creating jobs in other countries? If the foreign companies have a growing market share, then the us companies could be cutting jobs so the net would be less US jobs.

Details, details.

Ed,

The issue i have with the F150 isnt how it rides, its how it drives from a feel standpoint. I have never liked how a Ford steers. The steering on Ford trucks has always felt vauge and way too over assisted by the power steering, and lacking road feel. Thats my biggest turn off with the F150. The new ones are better then the old i beam front end ones but i still dont like how they feel. Otherwise the rest of the truck is just fine. The one i drove last year wwas a 06 supercrew.

mmmm... Good question and I don't know. I think, have to research, that as a country we are buying/having MORE vehicles each year purchased/owned, based on our growing population, so the market for all vehicles should be growing in the US (like other countries). And IF more assembling jobs as a whole are moving out of the US, is that a good or bad thing? should we be reskilling ourselves to different, new, high paying jobs?? For instance, in the 80's I was a cobol programmer and saw the "light" that those jobs would not be in the US longer, and went and get schooling in Project Management, Business Analysis and such.. and have done that a few times in my career. Do we evolve or stay steady state?? Some of both??

Don't have the answers, just more questions ;)

I agree on the lack of road feel. No vibrations come up that stearing column. We spend a lot of miles on the road to and from work and when we go boating or camping and it is the most comfortable ride we have had. But we don't do any off road running so don't need that much feel of whats going on under the truck. About the only time it is off the pavement is for pheasant hunting and that is still gravel roads.

Trep, Paul Unfortunately I am afraid that the world, including the U.S.A., is undergoing a world wide economic adjustment. For so many decades the leading economies of the world have enjoy a certain amount of high living so to speak. The economies of the first world countries lets say were well above the second and third world countries. They/we enjoyed high wages and and a high standard of living. I don't like the change that is going to effect my family but the way I see it is this. The second and third world economies are coming (up) and ours will probably go (down) to meet them some where in the middle. This movement of jobs offshore is really being done to ourselves. As the "Money people" want more of a return on their investments the companies feel compelled to move to a cheaper labor source to make their stock climb on the market.

As to the automakers and the government money talks and big money offshore can have a major impact on the internal politics here at home.

If you have enough money you can buy into any game including this one.

Trep, I knew that
cq its the other way around I believe, Ford has had a majority stake in Mazda the last few years and has for a long time had a stake.

I was just trying to get a rise out of the ford boys.

cq