No power at the switch

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BCGreen

Reaction score
Guys I have a 1999 nitro with a mercury tracker 150. I regularly fish with it. Yesterday I backed it into my shop after a good cleaning. No power water, just a good rub down. Anyway, I always just turn it over before I leave the shop to go fishing and bingo....nothing. The lights work, the live well pumps work but no power at the switch. Checked the battery, the fuse on the hot side and check the fuse box. All good. Any idea where I go from here?

Did you accidentally knock it into gear? Make sure it is in Neutral. More than once I've said, "Oh crap!" only to realize that it was in gear and won't do anything when the key is turned.

I'd do like Tim said and check the easy stuff first...in neutral? safety switch in run?(my kid had mine off once...stumped me for about 15 min.) If those are all good, then I would get a cheap meter if you don't have one (Harbor Freight sells a $2-$4 dollar one that works fine for small voltage) and see if you have voltage at the switch. If you do, then the switch contacts may be bad...if you don't then back track it from there until you find 12v. I know wiring diagrams are a pain to find, but the circuit should be pretty simple.

In nuetral and safety switch was on. I do not have power at the switch so guess I’ll have to start searching. Thanks for your suggestions. I’m retired military so nice to know someone has your back when you need help.

Totally! If you were closer, I'd swing by and give you a hand. More than likely you have a break in the wire somewhere in the wire harness. Another area to check is any connector to ensure you don't have corrosion or a loose pin.

Okay, I have traced all the wiring. My lights work, live wells, pumps, horn and gauges. I do not have power to the motor or trim. I have power all the way to the fuse box but I don't see any power going back towards the motor. I have attached a pic of the fusebox
if it will help any. What am I missing?
IMG_1219[1].JPG

power for the ignition switch does not come from the fuse box. The are two separate circuits/wiring harnesses; one for the ignition/motor/trim and the other for lights/pumps and accessories. Sound like the lights/pumps/accessories circuit is okay. First step is to see if the power is making it back to the motor; easiest way is to see that is to use the tilt/trim -- if the motor moves you have power to the motor. There are several fuses located under the cowling near the started check them. As other have said, i'd guess the shifter/neutral switch -- you can follow the wires from the switch which usually plugs into the main harness, uncouple and check continuity. It could be the ignition switch itself is bad. Find the ignition circuit using google and meter the voltages at the switch.

If power tilt and trim is not working, as well as motor not turning over, I would not suspect the gear position or safety switch. I would start with power fuses under the cowling.

Latest posts

Back