No Fairness Left in this World

• Thread starter William H. (Bill) Barham
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

William H. (Bill) Barham

Reaction score
You know what pi$$es me off even more than 'what brand of car you buy arguments?'

<just kidding, just kidding:p>

My wife Nancy has worked for the same veterinarian office/hospital for a little over 31 years. In that entire amount of time she has missed a grand total 21 days, 11 of which was due to her having a hysterectomy. She has worked weekends and nights when needed and very often, like about 6:00 p.m. this evening, they call her at home so she can solve problems for them over the phone or it will be a client who made their appointment after Nancy was off but wanted to talk to her anyway. She worked the first 13 years without any benefits at all from the original owner and while she still has no health care, she will get a pension after 20 years.

She just told me today that she has been told she now has to work every other day and some Saturdays and Sundays from now on instead of her regular 8:00 a.m. til 3:00 p.m., five days a week that she's done for 31 years.

They told her it was because business was slow but they're NOT closing when she's not working, they're using a 5 year senior receptionist who makes less money than Nancy and they are also keeping the weekend receptionists who are invariably college students who average about 1 year service.

It just seems to me that if the office/hospital is open from 8:00 a.m. til 3:00 p.m. Nancy, who was hired to work those hours, should be allowed to keep that schedule. The next senior receptionist has worked there for six years and Nancy has to rotate days off with her? It just bothers the heck out of me that Nancy is being treated that way after the years served and loyalty she has shown..

I think out of everyone of my buddies here, Trepper is the only one who has met Nancy and I would bet he'd back me up in saying just how friendly, quiet, try not to cause any trouble or problems person she is and this is tearing her up. She's 60 years old and thinks she's just being thrown away.:( It makes me want to do plenty but I had to promise I wouldn't do anything, yet...

I'm sorry this is so long and thanks so much for reading it. I just had to get some of it off of my chest.. Thanks again all:(:angry:

Uncle Billy

Uncle Billy, sorry to hear this. It does seem to happen often though. When a person gets close to retiring age, I believe they think you won't go anywhere else. They tend to use you. Aunt Nancy being the person she is, needs now to change her ways. When called in the evenings or weekends, simply say I'm sorry I cannot help. My new part time job keeps me busy. I hope everything works out, and prayers are sent for both of you.

Bubby:)

Bill,

Please pass on my thoughts of support to Nancy. It appears that there has been a change of ownership/management and that and other things have probably led to a far less open and "friendly" atmosphere at her workplace. Otherwise, a 31 year long employee would have a long established communications channel with management where this could and should have been discussed. That is too bad. The old saying; "that good help is hard to find", is very true. Many times, management just takes for granted that "good help" will always be good help. Nancy should be proud of her dedication and work ethic. I can guarantee that customers know and appreciate her role and contribution.

Take her out to dinner and remind her that you appreciate her and are proud of her.

It's sad to hear that the dogs and cats appreciate her more than the management.:angry:

And when a cat appreciates you more than management, that doesn't say much for management. We here at NTOWS may not know her personally, but to work that long at that kind of job show Nancy's dedication, determination, kindness, and service to others that you don't see often anymore. We salute you Nancy! Keep your head held high.

Sorry to hear Uncle Billy. Give Nancy my best. Sadly, its the world we live in today. Compassionate Capitalism - where employees were treated with respect and loyalty was rewarded because it made sense (business wise as well) just disappeared with the new "bottom-line only" approach. Sad...

ohhhh boy,..the stories I could tell you about unfairness and cutbacks in the ranks of the "experienced" employees (but I will refrain)...have her send her resume' to their competition!!:cool:

Age discrimination is alive and active in the working world. The 'laws' that they passed do almost nothing to help protect those of us that are 'older'. Sorry to hear that Billy, I am sure that it is very upsetting to both you and your wife.

Tex

Sorry to hear what is happening to Nancy. I know how it feels to be tossed on my rear after I was laid off last year. Just tell her to remember, she is valuable and can find another job. Sometimes change is good. Took me awhile to realize that!

Hey Uncle Billy - I haven't been around much, way too much work and family activities lately, but this just plain stinks! And yes she is the nicest, sweetest, most patient (has to be to put up with you!!) and I could not see her being rude or say no to anyone or anything.

I hate this is happening to her after 31 years, and know as Tom said the animals and the big guy up stairs knows how great she is, and "We salute you Nancy!"

Hey All,

I just read these posts to Nancy and between tears she wishes you all to know she appreciates all of your good wishes and prayers very much. She has asked the owner for fifteen minutes of his time next Monday to talk about this. She asked that you keep your fingers crossed. And thanks from me to all of you..

Uncle Billy

Prayers sent and a rousing Good Luck!!!!

Latest posts

Back