nitro Z-7, 200hp optimax proxs

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve skeens

Reaction score
Thinking about buying a new nitro Z-7 with a 200hp optimax proxs. Does anyone have one with this engine? If so what is your top speed with and without a jack plate?

this is the first year with a 200 pro xs. It is replacing the regular Opti. It is basically the same motor though with a few pro xs upgrades. I think it will be a low to mid 70s boat. I am ordering the same boat. I would also recommend getting the jackplate...just makes life easier and should also help performance.

Would someone be so kind to explain WHY a jackplate helps? and what kind to look into if buying a new bass boat? Thanks

Performance gains are best aquired from propping and engine height. A jackplate allows you to adjust the engine height either manually or with a hydraulic system on the fly. This adjusts the prop shaft to pad measurement which is so important in performance and handling of any high speed boat.

Stick with a name brand...Bob's Machine Shop and Atlas are probably the two best on the market.

Slidemaster, T&H Marine Pro-Hijacker, Rite Hite, there are some more, but all are fine.

One other thing to add to Mini's statement. Being able to adjust engine height in small increments is also very important and is something a plate will give you. 1/4 of an inch can make all the difference in the world in speed and handling. Bolted t othe transom you dont have much flexibility to adjust the height, just the 5 holes that are on the bracket. The setback also puts the motor in cleaner water and can make the prop bite better.

I have a 6" slidemaster manual on mine that was ordered as a factory option. its a quality peice and im pretty happy with it.

Man is this becoming a popular topic or what? You guys are going to give me a severe case of 200 envy and make me feel depressed about my little ole 175 on my Z7.

Thank you all

And Steve71 Sorry for hijacking your thread..I am almost thinking of getting the same boat myself.

Quick last ?, is it worth the money I am assuming it cost more for a "hydraulic" jackplate over a manual? is this something i would be playing with alot? THanks

Personally i dont think its worth the extra cost for most people to get a hydraulic. Generally once you get the height right you can leave it alone.

There are instances where its needed and on a high performance hull like an allison or a bullet its something that would be worth having. On the hulls we have not so much.

basstrackerma, you will find many opinions about the hydraulic plate. In my opinion it is not worth it. It really makes is easier to get you boat setup correctly, but once you find the right spot, many times you won't touch it again. Just takes a little more work with a manual plate, but you can acheive the same thing. also with a manual plate there are less parts to break and have to replace, like hydraulic pumps and switches and guages and what not. Just my opinion though.

The advantage of a hydraulic plate over a manual plate will be seen the first time you put your engine down in rough water, or very high when idling into a shallow area and want to maintain better control. Tilting your engine to the point that it is almost out of the water, as most of you know from experience, leads to very poor handling response should you need to avoid some type of structure all of a sudden as you are idling into a shallow cove, etc... With the engine still in the running position, but cranked all the way up on the jackplate, I still have rapid response from my outboard in that situation. In addition, I've adjusted it down a bit on a rough water ride and turned a bash fest into a semi-normal feeling transit.

If you never worry about either of those things, then yes - the hydraulic will probably not be worth it for you. Manual plates also allow for a stronger base for high performance engines. Once they are locked down, they are solid. Not so with the hydraulic, as you will always have a slight bit of give due to the sliding surfaces needing room to move.

As Mini pointed out, Bobs Hydraulic is probably the best on the market. I don't know about Atlas, as I've never had the opportunity to use one, but I've heard many reports that claim they are awesome. They look really well built.

My preference on manual plates is defintely a Rapid Jack. Lots of others use the same design - a big ol' long screw that goes through the plate. More often than not, when adjusting those, you need to wiggle the engine a bit to get the plates to slide as you are loosening / tightening the big screw. I've seen a few people that don't put anti-seize or lube of any type on that screw, and they end up gauling the threads. The Rapid Jack is different. It has a large ratchet on the port side that you put a socket wrench on. You put pressure on the ratchet head with the socket wrench, and lift a little lever to allow the plate to go down. To go up, you simply need to crank on it and the lever will go over the ratchet, holding it in place. It adjusts in 1/4" increments, and it is a cable system that lifts and lowers the plate. I had one on my Cajun bass boat, and I could very easily adjust that plate on the water. I don't know of many people that can claim to do that easily with the other design.

All the best,

Glenn

but once you find the right spot

Not trying to burst any bubbles or stir any pots, but that "right spot" is an ever-changing and elusive critter. When your fishing partner is added (or removed), fuel burned, gear, etc....in a nutshell; weight added, removed, and/or redistributed will change the planing and running surface of your hull. A hydraulic plate operated correctly can adjust for these changes, providing higher performance on each setup applied. The gains are signifcant only in the eye of the beholder when compared to the fixed plate costs, yet the gains are evident in all around performance. On the same note, the dials or "owner presets" offered on hydraulics prove their value if you keep the above mentioned variables at a constant. (Which is pretty dang hard. Hence the name "variable". :lol: ) The ability to perform these minor adjustments under throttle will greatly improve performance over a fixed plate.

Just thought I'd unroll a little more of this burrito and show all the guts! ;)

I must have been typing while Glenn responded. The only other jack I'd mention is Detwiler. I have one on my Skiff and have had no issues with it. I ran a bunch of Bob's and never had an issue also. Both of those mfr.'s offer a holeshot plate which is very beneficial with an offset. Good luck!;)

Latest posts

Back