Nitro hole shot question

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Epperson

Reaction score
I am a recent owner of a 2001 Nitro 882 w/150 Merc. I got it at pro bass shop it is very clean and runs great..They are great to deal with..I took it to Truman Lake in Mo.yesterday and with a full tank of gas 3 people weighing less than 500# total and not alot of gear it would not plane of of the hole in fact it looked like the bow was within reach from my driver seat..The water was a little choppy with some wind the prop was 23 pitch that was recommended for this boat. After almot 4 hours of trolling w/engine off and on I tried it again the tank was 3/4th full and wind was much less. It did get up and on plane and ran extremely fast..It still took some doing to get it up though. It has a jack plate (sure that is why) but seems to be lower in the water than it should be(probably since I never owned a bass boat before)I would have thought it should have pulled out and level with that much horse power on a 17.6 boat. Any suggestions out there?

I've been told hole shot should not exceed 5 seconds. How many RPM's are you turning when you take off. I was told 3000 is a good target. I have a 17' 9" Z6 w/ a 115 and a 21P prop with added cup for lift. Hole shot 5 seconds, WOT 5500 RPM'S at 48 MPH on a GPS.

John, I have an 2004 882, it is a stern heavy boat and will sit low in the water. It is actually 18' 2". Before trying to get on plane are you trimming the motor all the way down and are you moving ahead at idle or headway speed, then giving it full throttle and trimming up as you pickup speed?

J

the 882 is a pig due to the excesive weight in the stern. I had a 2003 for 9 yrs. it is an awsome hull. just needs a little help with the hole shot.

Set the prop to 3.5" below pad, make sure the motor is tucked all the way in and lay out the throttle. I never filled the tank 40+ gallons of gas is a hole lot weight to carry around.

reach out to JimB on this board. he had the same set up and tweaked his 882 to get mid 60s and a very good hole shot. he has shared his set up multiple times on here.

Good luck and congrats with the new boat.

GregD

You said you never owned a bass boat before. Like John said ...Are you even sure the motor was trimed all the way down at take off? Sound like if it came up as far as you say it was never trimed all the way down. I think this is one thing that happens a lot with 1st time bass boat owners.

Latest posts

Back