Nitro 640 Questions

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Nelson

Reaction score
Hi From Australia, I have just become the proud new owner of a 2005 640LX, i have fitted it with a Optimax 90, hot foot, protrim, hydraulic steering and i love it. However i have a few questions which i know you guys can answer.

1. How have you guys built better rod storage in the lockers, they are empty right now so things just bang around all over the place. any info on what to do here?

2. The rod ramp on the passenger side, how is this even meant to work there is no where for the rod grips to mount into? what are some options to make this a but more usable.

3. is my August built 2004 trailer galvashield?

4. The boat seems very stern heavy, shoudl i mount my trolling motor battery up front in one of the lockers?

thanks

Mike

I have a 700lx just a hair longer and my partner here has the 640lx with a 90 Carb'd motor.

Where in Australia are ya? I've done some fishing just south of Syndey with friends the last few years, while I was over living in Asia.

For #1 - Best i've found is using Rod Socks, they ensure that the tips and line doesn't get broke/tangled, and easy to get in/out (I put a URL to the section of the Bass Pro Shops online cataloge below). I've got 8 of them and need more! haven't had one break/tear in 5 years.

For #2 on my buddies 640 and my 700 there is mounted a velcro strap at that top of the ramp just next to the seat, the rod handles go in the lower part of the boat with the tips up the back, I usualy take 4 rods with me and no problems.

For #3 - Can't help ya there, but someone here will soon.

For #4 - I know the 90 Opti is heavier then my buddies 90 Carb'd motor, but he has his 3 batteries in the back (1 cranking and 2 for his trolling motor) and even with a full livewell the boat flies onto plane. You'll be good, you may need to play with props to get the right set up, he has I think a 23p stainless prop and he can get close to 50mph on GPS.

Welcome to the best website in the world!

Trep

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_21141____SearchResults

Hi Trepman, thanks for the advice, i am about 3.5 hours up the coast from sydney and mainly fish in the Salt for Yellowfin Bream and also the same river but up in the fresh for Australian Bass, but that requires a canoe or small tinny. Thanks for your help mate.

What i was getting at is in the 640 700 there is no where for the grips of the rods to mount, unlike other boats that have them. So inthe nitro everyone just lets them abng around in the bottom of the boat while havign a strap over them just behind the seat?

AusNitro - Welcome to the board and congrats on your (new to you) 640. I think Trep misinterpreted your comment about banging around in the rod locker. I have tubes in the forward section of the rod locker and in the rear of the locker I have a two level bridge that allows me to set the cork end of the rods on top of while the rod tips go in the tubes in the forward section. If you are handy you can make the tube end by using golf tubes and building a wooden frame to hold them. Same goes for the bridge in the back. You may also be able to find them on-line.

Good luck and enjoy your boat!

I have a 1998 700LX. Be careful with the transom on that 640. There is no bracing to the stringers from the transom. look under the rubrail to the port and starboard of the engine. Youll have to remove it. Look for gaps between the deck & hull. Mine had a mismatch and the gap was filled at the factory with the incorrect sealant. Over time the factory fix failed and allowed water to enter the core transom wood and turn it into peanut butter. Nitro refused to admit the mfg defect even though it could have killed me. I paid to $2000 to have the transom repaired like it should have been built originally. New wood in the transom and wood angle supports connecting the transom to the stringers. Check out the pix in my library and youll see nitros handywork.

Latest posts

Back