Next Step

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THOMMO59

Reaction score
I have a 2011 Z6 with a 115 Pro XS, 22" Laser 2 prop that turns 5,800rpms according to the tacho and 52 MPH on the GPS.

1 person, average amount of gear and usually running 1/2 to 3/4 tank of fuel, no livewell weight.

So the question is, can I squeeze anymore top end? Getting out of the hole is pretty good but I have a feeling I could drop a few hundred revs, up the pitch or cup or shape and maybe get me a couple mph.

Any suggestions are welcomed and appreciated.

What's the max RPM on the 115 Pro XS?

That sounds pretty good IMHO.

Your expecting a lot from the 115OPTI, 5800rpms is cranking that motor up.

You can invest in having the prop reworked, adding cupping and balancing the prop will improve hole shot and cornering for sure. any added speed will be minimal 1-3mph.

52mph GPS is pretty respectable if you ask me.

GregD

Thanks guys,

Don't get me wrong, 52 is good and so are the revs, as the motor has got more hours on it the revs have slightly increased from originally about 5600 to last weekend getting 5800 and I thought maybe I would be able to drop down the revs a little not and gain a little with a prop adjust. I rarely run at WOT and prefer to sit on around 5200 and therefore my theory was if I still stay at 5200, and can gain a mph or 2 than that's a bonus.

I had a 700 LX with a 115 ELPTO (Carb'd vs. your Opti direct injection), between myself and the site owner (Rich Stern) I think we set it up about perfect, but it took time and $$. It had a 4 inch manual jackplate, 25p 3 blade Turbo SS prop, I can't remember the motor height, but installed a water pressure gauge as we raised the motor up each time...

End of the day she ran 57 WOT a few times a year (lightly loaded, 1/2 tank gas, cool morning with a slight ripple on the water...), and ran 53 mph all day long loaded and a good holeshot.

So like Greg said, you are pretty close, would spending say $6-800 and time/effort for a Jackplate, Prop and cuping, tweaking and so on get you 2 MPH, i'd say yes. Question is it worth it to ya or not? I loved to play with the set up on the 700 so it was worth it to me to spend a year or so getting it just right. Now on my current ride, I'm more about fishing and going different places, and leaving the set up the way it came (other then swapping to a new prop).

Its your boat, ENJOY!!!

Trep

I have a 5" manual jackplate ready to bolt on that I aquired with the deal but to date have never fitted. I not desperate for more speed, bit like you Trep, more about enjoying everything out there, but damn, 57mph was good!

I was hoping or figuring someone was going to chime in like the legendary and now very illusive Bob B and say something like, just get your prop cupped a little or another owner would say, I put a 23" whatever on and they gave me what you're looking for, that sort of thing.

The boat just behaves so nice once you crack the 50mph barrier and if I could do that with slightly less revs, I feel like I wouldn't be working it as hard.

Appreciate all the feedback and I guess maybe now' I need to find a Mercury dealer here in Oz that will loan a test prop but over here, thats a little tough.

hey Thommo - (don't mean to change the subject) but did you ever get that custom made carpet for your Z6?

Hey Gary,

I sent you a personal email last week, I found a place that will do them, I have posted a floor template and they said when it arrives they'll contact me to conform the price but he quoted $144 =$24 for embroidery and $20 inside the US, so I'm having it sent to my mate in AZ and picking it up next month when I'm over there. He told me his supplier has a 12' foot table that he can do this sort of stuff on.

Latest posts

Back