New Puppy at the Trepper house!!

• Thread starter Michael Trepper
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrepMan

Reaction score
Well its been just over a year since we had to put down our last dog, Echo. Our first 2 dogs (my first ever, as I was allergic to dogs as a kid, but luckily grew out of it) we got when we were first married 15 years ago, and both pound puppies lasted 14 years. So for the last year we've been down to just a rabbit and Noah's pet Emperior Scorpion. Beka has really wanted a dog, and was interested in a smaller breed but still wanted to rescue a pound puppy. Long story short I found this cutie online via petfinders.com, she is just under a year old (est. about 8 months) just fixed, has the brightest blue eyes and chocolate color of a husky, but definetly the shape/body of a Dachshund. The boys can't get enough of her, she did great in her crate last night, and is now taking a nap on the couch!

I'm hoping to get her out in the Nitro next weekend, i'd LOVE to have a dog with me fishing, that would be cool. Figure i'd need a life vest for her. Any suggestions from folks who have taken their dogs in the boat, how to start to ensure she enjoys it and wants to come back?

Here are a few pics:

Sally head shot.jpg

Sally sleeping for web.JPG

Sally stretched out for web.JPG

i would also like my dog to be a fishing dog, but this

character sheds like you can not believe, and @ 145 pounds,

if he ever got out of the boat, not sure how he would get back in! :lol:

Big%20Deuce.JPG

Brad - great idea about the plastics, I do the same thing and usualy the boys come scouring through the boat after I get home to collect the used worms/craws for thier tackle boxes! good idea to make sure I keep them off the floor/deck!

Dave - Ah come on in that 911 that puppy would just barely balance your big butt!!! LOL Yes getting a dog that size back in the boat without a ladder would be a problem!

Trep

Get a doggy lifejacket. I have sooooooo many rods/lures on my deck, I would be afraid of a dog getting a hook in the paw. That's why I never take my Weimaraner out.

TOXIC

Trep, it takes time for them to get there sea legs ... but it's fun ... I sure yours won't take up a much space as ours does!

Heres lulu with a adult life jacket
lulu going for a boat ride.jpg

Congrats on the new pup Trepper...what's her name?

great pics of all the buddies....

Thanks everyone, she came from the rescue shelter knowing her name, so we kept it "Sally"! The boys are having a ball (they are off school for 3 days) playing with her and keeping an 'eye' on her while daddy works in the office today.

Dewey - Great posing by Lulu!! Yup, wife is comming home from HR Block tax class at noon and taking Sally and the kids to Petsmart shopping ,i'll add the life jacket to it!

Congrats on the new pup Mike. Sure looks awfully comfortable on the sofa.

You better hope it doesn't like the drivers seat of the Nitro or your in trouble!

That's a good looking dog Trep. I would start her out with an easy ride; avoid a wave banging full speed run. You don't want to create a situation where she associates the boat with an unpleasant experience. One thing you may want to consider is take her on the boat with you in the garage while you putz around; it will get her acquainted nicely before ever hitting the water. Have her wear the life jacket around the house as well. Echo the caution on the hooks laying around. Reminds me of my Lab when I took her on the boat for the first time; she lept out the first time I cast a lure--apprently she felt a need to retrieve.

Trep,

I wouldn't worry about going out in the boat for awhile (to the lake). Just spend some time in it at the house.

Just like inside the house, let her explore the boat, while letting her what is off limits in the boat. Have your ploes and lures laying out as normal, and tell her "NO" if she does more than a quick sniff.

I also make my front deck off limits unless called up there. The last thing I need on a 40 degree day is a 90 lb dog knocking me into the lake.

After she learns what is off limits, take some short trips in case things don't go well, your whole day won't be ruined. You may also be pleasently suprised at how well she does.

Just extend the legnth of your trips based on how well they go.

Don't forget to keep a butter dish under your seat for water,,,,and some pee breaks.

Just be warned,,,,,,,mine turned into a fishing monster. I have a hard time going without him. Somehow he knows it's the weekend and fishing time, instead of a weekday when I am going to work. If the boat is hooked to the truck, he will be under my feet all day to keep me from sneaking off without him.

We can't even say the word "fishing" arund the house, or he gets all wound up.

Steve

barkleyfishingntows3.jpg

BTW, nice looking pup. Glad to hear it was a rescue also,they usually turn out to be the best ones.

Steve

Most of the fish I catch are bigger than my lil' guy Sparky:lol:

fish-8-7-05.JPG

Tee - I thought you had small dog you took fishing, great pic!! She did great last night in her crate, didn't whine/howl a bit till the boys got up at 7am. Working on the Deck last night and tonite, as she is small enough to easily squeeze through the slats, and the open space in the stairs. So last night bought/cut/installed the back of the stairs, and the extra set of slats up the stairs, need to buy/add the extra slats on the upper deck, that should keep her in the fence for the few times she goes outside during the day.

Trep

This lil' guy has the best personality of any dog I've ever seen.

He has turned into my shadow and minds very well nad just LOVES to play even in the boat:lol:

We'll be takin' him to the Holler again in a few weeks...

Nice looking dog! Wishing you many years of joyful companionship!

Back