New Boat, questions on set-up, prop, motor height, rpms. etc

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenny Lively

Reaction score
Got my new 898 in. 225EFI, 10" slidemaster, 25" pitch trophy plus, hydro-sterring.

Finally got the break-in finished opened it up yesterday. Had a moderate load 1/2 tank gas, 2 fishermen...250lbs & 150lbs. 6-8 rods 50lbs tackle.

Hole shot is best I have ever seen, maybe the length of the boat, just seconds, with all the plugs in the prop.

Acceleration is outstanding, just jumps out from under you.

Top end???

71 mph gps. but rev. limiter beeper goes off and have to tuck the motor just a little. water pressure 25+. probably turning 5900+ rpm's (I think the limiter beeps at 5850). Motor is mounted where dealer put it. I think he said flat plate of motor was at or just a little below bottom of hull. Jack plate has not been moved. Minimal if any chine-walk.

Called the rigger said this boat should at least be in the mid 70's. His suggestions was a bigger prop. 27" pitch.

This is my thoughts. 27" prop, move jack-plate up 1/2 inch take out one plug in prop. What do ya'll think results may be? Rpm's? Speed? Hole shot? Control? Chine-walk? I have lots of hole shot to give up, never been in one that planed like this.

I would say you're good now. But if you can tweak a couple more MPH out of it with a few adjustments go for it. 71 is haulin, but if the rig is capable of 75, get it. You don't always have to do it, but it's nice to know it's there. If you have great hole shot, are turning max rpms and getting 71 GPS, I'd be stoked. I was eager to hear how the 898 hulls would perform. Sounds like just a bigger 896! Glad you like the ride. Now fill the tank and wells, put a buddy in and tell us how the hole shot is. That's what I want to know. Worst case scenario!

Rob,

The boat is super!!

I am just concerned with the 25 turning to many rpm's. The rigger said it would loosen up even more and would probably hit 6000+ as the motor broke in. right now I can't run it at WOT full trim the rev. (overspeed) beeper goes off. How much will the rpms be reduced w/a 27" and how much will be gained if the engine is raised 1/2 inch.

First off, sounds like a real sweet ride. Now for the other side . . .

Oh, come on now guys. If that baby is doing 71 on the GPS, why in the world would you spend more money to get 2-3 more MPH???

Here's the question you should ask yourself.

How many times are you really going to be doing 73 or 74 mph instead of 71? And for how long. The difference in ground covered between 71 and 74 mph, is 264 feet, in 1 minute.

If you run 12 miles, at 71 mph, you are there in 10.14 minutes.

If you run 12 miles, at 74 mph, you are there in 9.72 minutes.

In short, you get there 34 seconds faster at 74 mph.

Tex

To quote Donald Rumsfeld today, "because we can!"

If the boat was designed to go faster, than make it go faster. How often would I run WOT @ 73-74 mph? Almost every time! If I'm running my holes in a T, the big motor will do everything I can get out of it. That 34 seconds on a LONG run means more fishing time which could equal more $$$.

Furthermore, I wouldn't want to trim-down or decelerate just to keep motor from over-revving. It was designed to run at WOT, use the prop and engine height that will accomodate this purpose.

Kenny...glad to hear you finally got your boat!! Please bring it to Fork on the 11th! I'm seriously contemplating ordering one of those babies and would love to give yours a look-see. Before then, POST PICS!!

I will be at Fork in April, I was going to post picks but was kinda waiting for my tandem axle trailer, it looks a little odd w/20 1/2 foot boat plus 10" jack plate and motor hanging off of it on a single axle trailer.

The speed is not the main concern it's the over reving. I have always been a believer in running your motor at the highest position possible as long as water pressure is good, stability, steering and overall performance is good the highest position possible might just get you to miss that underwater obstacle and if you can miss 1-2 stumps or logs every time you go out whether idleing or running, think of all that you miss over the life time of your rig. Has to be better for it.

Besides like Adam said 'cause you can.

and it shouldn't cost anything most of the time dealer will just swap props as long as it is new and not dinged up.

update on boat performance.

Ran it again today had a good load. Added 10 gallons of gas, took my son 6'1" 280lbs, and put 2/3 full live well about 30 gallons.

Planed in about 3-4 seconds, 69.6 gps, still overrevved, beeper went off again when it hits 5800+ rpms.

Don't know if that is all it is turning.

Got a question. When rev limiter beeper goes off is that all it will let the motor do, 'cause that is all I have seen the rpm's do, about 5800-5900. KENNY

Sorry guys, I don't agree. I would wager that your motor is not designed to run WOT all the time. I don't need to run all out every time I get on the water. Post again when it's in the shop for a new power head, lower unit or prop. Don't get me wrong, I get the "need for speed" the same as the next guy but there's this little voice in my head that tells me that there is only one little thing that has to go wrong for my rig to end up in the shop....log in the water, unseen rock pile, bad detonation, over rev, cavitation, not to mention a rogue wave that might put me in the drink all add up to $$$ that I would rather put into tackle. Not worth it to me.

TOXIC

Went 74.6 mph on the water in a 929 this weekend (I was the non-boater). Too fast for me! That baby would scream, but I would have enjoyed the ride much more at 45-50 - tops.

Let's just remember, for all you speed demons with no console for the non-boater - you have to lean into the wind (body under duress) all the time. It fatigued me just riding around in that thing at those higher speeds with the wind popping me constantly. I will NOT own a single console boat, since I routinely fish with someone else.

That 929 (with a 250 EFI on it), would flat haul though.

Tex

Latest posts

Back