New Bassmasters Club

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Griffeth

Reaction score
We are starting a new club and have about 20+ members signed on. Our first official meeting is tomorrow night. A friend of mine got drafted to be the president and I got drafted to be the secretary. We are wanting this club to be fun, not cost an arm and leg to be in, and be low pressure.

We are attempting to keep the dues low ($50), the entry fees low (havent' set yet, but thinking $25 plus $10 BB) and pay as many places as it makes sense to do so. We're also trying to come up with a fair Angler of the Year point system.

I know everyone has fished tourneys and trails that you liked and disliked. I was just wanting to get some ideas on options we can present to the membership.

I appreciate any help. Thanks!

Jeff :unsure:

Hello Jeff,

I was in your situation about 2 years ago. Here is a link to our website where you can see our rules, dues, meeting minutes, forum, etc.

It might give you some ideas.

GG
http://www.atxbassmasters.com/

Hi Jeff,

I've plugged the point section of our rules:

SCORING:

Scoring for each individual tournament shall be determined by the pounds and ounces of each contestant's catch during the tournament. Only Largemouth Bass, Spotted Bass (Kentucky), or Smallmouth Bass are accepted species. The limit shall be (5) total unless otherwise directed. The lake size limit shall be in effect. At no time shall a contestant possess more than the tournament limit except for the short time it takes to cull a fish. Any contestant who possesses more than the tournament limit shall have their catch for that day disqualified. Bass presented for weigh-in which fail to measure the prescribed length limit shall be penalized at the rate of one (1) pound for each short bass presented, not inclusive of the short fish's weight. Each contestant

Hey, GG, what is a "paper tournament" that is mentioned in the tourney rules?

Jeff - The real nice "non-competitive" club I almost joined here in Woodstock (didn't have the time this year) has $45/year dues, and the monthly Tourney fee is just $20 and it's a BASS federation club.

Here is a link to the site, look under Club Info, By-Laws for more details

Trep
http://www.bigshantybass.com/

Jeff- are you planning a "team" style or individual? I didn't even look at the "team" clubs, where you bring your boat and a partner and fish against other boats (typicaly 5 fish per boat), but those clubs seemed REALY competitive to me, and typicaly had higher fees and payouts.

I agree with Random draw and not allowing (if you have enough boaters and non-boaters) same folks paired often. Also how are you going to handle boater vs. non-boater? One of the things that didn't thrill me on the club I tried, was a few folks ONLY would fish from their boats, even if that meant 4-6 folks were ALONE in the boat, they just didn't want to give up their edge, and that isn't as fun as I'd like it to be.

Trep

It's going to be an individual style. Boaters and non-boaters treated equally. Boaters can fish by themselves if they aren't paired with a non-boater. Everyone already said they want that.

Thanks for all the great info, guys.

Jeff

:D

You won't be able to make everyone happy. Everyone is looking for something else. Always remember that, indecisions is usually what kills a club.

I say keep the format of the standings simple. Points or weight, or points plus weight. Bonus points are just another reason to argue.

I would also suggest a minimum amout of events to fish to be considered for angler of the year.

Whatever you do get it in writing and make sure its clear, there will always be somebody that says "I did not know"

Jeff, A paper tournamnet is held when the lake you are on is either off season or their is a slot limit of some type. Instead of bringing fish to the scale, you measure and record them then release the fish. You have to have two per boat competing and not partnered to make this fair. After the tourney you would use a pre-determined weight for length of fish to tally up total weights.

I usually try to avoid these tourneys because you can catch a 12" fish that may be .78 lbs and you can catch a 12" fish that weighs 1.6 pounds so unless you have to do them I wouldn't...........LA

If interested, I can send you our constitution and bylaws that we run by. Drop me an email if you'd like them.

Basically, we fish for points/plaques, with a volunteer pot for heaviest sack and big bass.

We are a Federation Club.

Also, you might want to check out our sight, just for general info and happenings. I'd also appreciate any feedback you might have.

Tex
http://www.rockhillbassclub.org

It's been a few years since my father and I were in our little bass club (he was president and i was secretary), but I believe our points system worked like this:

First place - 30 points

Second place -29 points

third place - 28 points

fourth place - 27

basically each place recieved one point less than the previous place until all teams who weighed fish had gotten points...then all teams without fish weigh recieved 5 points less than the last team to weigh fish...example only 4 teams weigh fish...all other participating teams recieve 22 points. The basis of your points system depends on how many teams you have, so if you have more than 30 boats/teams, you'll need a different starting point.

This was also a buddy bass style where the teams joined up together at the beginning of the year. It wasn't all that competitive at all. The meeting before the tournaments we'd discuss some strategies and ideas, then usually after the weigh-in and prize give outs, we'd try to have the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place guys give us a bit of info on what baits they used or conditions they were in. We never asked for exact locations or exact details, just an idea and most guys were cool with it. Our entry fee was $30+$10BB per team and annual fees were $50. The only reason my father and I quit was because driving to Bolivar from Kansas City all the time was getting tiring and we both needed a break. The small clubs like this where everyone treats everyone else like fishing buddies instead of the "competition" make it so much more fun. You could come up on another team member and talk a bit, and in the middle of a tournament could even swap tips and info. I do miss, now that I got my tinbote in good shape again...maybe I should get back into it. Have a good day.

Mike Harrison aka StanAramus the Great :wacko:

Jeff, Gripalip got it right. Here in Texas we have some very good slot lakes, where you can only keep fish shorter the say 14-16" and longer than 23-24". Everything in between must be return ASAP. Fork, Bastrop, Fayette to name a few. These are often some great fishing lakes that produce 20+ pound paper weight limits.

GG