need prop help

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg Witzleb

Reaction score
I just recently purchased a 2005 Targa V18 WT w/115 optimax 2 stroke. Motor has an aluminum 13.25x17P prop on it now. I tried once to do a WOT and it came out of the hole great and on plane quick. The problem it went 6200 rpm way over 5750 rpm and achieved 42+ mph. I want to go to a SS prop. I fish 2-3 people and the gear which is minimal, I do not know how much fuel it carries as there were no manuals with the unit. I am just looking for an overall performance prop.

As a rule you'll drop a couple hundred RPM's moving up to a same pitch SS wheel, so you have room to go up to a 15-17" SS prop and stay within your power band at specs given. The larger prop will get you a hair better top end while the smaller ones will spin you up out of the hole quicker. Your best bet is to work with a dealer that'll let you try a few before deciding on which to buy. Good luck! ;)

If you find a 16 P would work for you, I have one for sale in the Swap& Sell section.

Sean

are you sure about the pitch 10 does not sound right i would expect it to be at least a 15 pitch. either way you could probably go up at least two inches in pitch.i would double check the prop and go from there. if it is brand new you should be able to trade for a differant prop

Sorry about my original post I inadvertently put the pitch at 10P and it should have read 17P

Could it be possible the prop is spun? Also it could be possible the tach is off. Hard to believe it was like that from the factory. It sounds about right for that size boat. Also, the speed should be pretty close. If anything it could be over propped.

Latest posts

Back