Need help with my boat acting like flipper

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My AVALANCHE shoots out of the hole great. It flies like a down hill racer. It also cruises good above 30MPH. But go any slower than 30 and get around 3000RPM it starts jumping around like flipper trying to get a fish from the trainer! Will a Hydrofoil help? I have a Stingray that is on my old 50 HP. I can trim way down and stop the porpoising but it loads the motor up pretty heavy. I want to be able to run at a low speed so I can get a good look at unknown water when practicing. Now when I'm running at look around speed the bow is plowing a field and I'm throwing a wake that you could surf on. I don't like that. But on the other hand if I put on the Hydrofoil I don't want to lose speed or increse stearing torque. OK AVALANCHE owners please HELP me out. One more thing I did see Dave Winkelman on one of his shows have a hydrofoil on a 175HP on the back of a AVALANCHE. Thanks Green Tarpon

Did you try adjusting the speed and trim? Sometimes you got to experment a little to find the "sweet spot". Other consideration is how your carrying your load. Hydrofoils are butt ugly(IMO) butt a foil hurts top end maybe a mile per hour or so drill some holes and go for it.

fatrap

SE Sport claims that there foil will increas performance and stablize your boat.

i put one on my nx882, it helped to get me out of the hole and it didn't hurt my top end. there is a guy in my club with the same foil on his 20' express, he is running a 200efi.

give them a call, it can't hurt. ( it is the most atractive foil out there)
http://www.sesport.com/

If you are having porpoising problems, a foil will help. Alternately, either trim down or adjust speed accordingly.

On my Stratos, it poriposed badly. Took me 4-6 trips to the lake before figuring it out. Now, it's fine - I had to train the driver. No foil now needed.

Tex

Hey GT, I live in Louisville and have the Av. with 150. I finally gave up because I had run a foil on an older boat that helped so much, I had to try it on the Av. The old one was an SE 300, put it on and helped. Couldn't resist the Stingray when I read what it said, had to try it. Love mine. No porpoising and low speed planing. Be your own judge. Catch ya on the wet stuff.

Hey DT we have the same color boat. Nice, You have DC I have the SC. That way we can tell them apart. I'm going to wait until after May to put my Stingray on don't want to void my warranty.

Have they come up with a foil you do not need to drill into you motor yet??

HaleDamage

Latest posts

Back