revisiting my prop issue

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatrap

Reaction score
A while ago I posted about my tempest prop having an issue. To reiterate what happened I hit a rock while motoring the boat up on the trailer. Some kids had been dragging rocks down to the loading ramp dock and throwing them on the ramp unbeknownst to me. Anyway smashed a rock. Took it to my guys in the Tracker Service department and they sent it to the shop. Upon getting it back I noticed a lack of perfomance and a strange almost humming when going top speed. Play with the trim and rock the boat a bit and sometimes it sounded like the engine changed gears. The humming noise dropped to a lower pitch and the boat accelerated to its stated top end speed.

Two weeks ago in I run into an idential (different color)Tracker Tundra that I have with the same 150 Optimax and proped with the same 21 pitch Tempest . After paling around and talking boats we agree to switch props. He got my results and my boat ran as it did new.

Sooooo I tell all this to my Tracker guy today and he suggest I remove the plugs and try it. What does this do?? I believe I'm cavitating will this help? This prop came back from rebuild absolutely perfect not a flaw. Don't really want to buy a new Tempest or spend a bunch of $$ going for another rework if now necessary. Any advice would be great.

fatrap

I've seen it a thousand times.....chances are the prop was rebuilt incorrectly. To the untrained eye, they LOOK good. You proved it to yourself when you did the swap. Remove it, insist that they rebuild it properly. The most common error rebuilders seem to have a problem with is buffing off the trailing edge of the prop. The rake edge line and cup edge line if not symetrical, sharp, and true to each blade will result in performance deficits.....;)

I'm wondering.... The service manager sends it back to the same place so I'll get the same results no doubt. I also doubt I'll get a prop to use while it's gone. I'm gonna have to go talk to him before I go for my second to last day at Bass Pro. May be more expensive but better solution to buy a second prop and use this one for a spare. Compounding the problem is I let this go for almost a year.

Thanks a bunch Bob.

fatrap:(

OUCH. If you really want a good "tuned" prop, call Mazco Propeller, Fenton Missouri. 1-636-343-9911, tell "John" I sent you.......Expensive but they WORK.....:)

Latest posts

Back