Need Help w/ my Nitro Trailer

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luke Musto2

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Myabe someone can help me out.. Im at my wits end..

I have a Nitro 882 and my trailer wheels were heating up bad.. THought it was the bearing .. so I pulled the hubs checked the bearings and they were fine.. Re packed em w/ new seals and put it back together.. Still happened again.. Im thinking the caliper is sticking up on the rotor on the left side and that is causing my problem.. THe trailer has the surge breaks..

Jacked it up and spun the tires on both sides and the tires spin but I can feel pressure from the pad on the wheel.. Not a lot but enough to let me know that the pads are in contact w/ the rotor..

SO a few questions questions..

Should the pads be in touch w. the wheel like that? Do you all think I need a caliper?

Where can i get a caliper Nitro dealer doesnt have one..

Would I be able to get the part number to go to NAPA and get one?

SOmeone told me about a metal cutout that I could insert into the surge slider on the front of the trailer to prevent it from working pushing and applying pressure on the calipers..

Any ideas where I could get one?

Thanks in advance...

Luke

Luke, I had the same problem with the P.O.S. Chumpion trailer that I used to own. I changed everything. Turned out to be the master cylinder. Mine went out after 2 years and I had to get it from the manufacturer. I don't remember who built the trailer for Chumpion.You should have got a "lock out" when you bought the boat. It's a peice of aluminum that fits in the slot where the tounge slids. You could probably get one from you dealer.

You don't mention what year model your rig is. Mine was a 2001.

As far as the pads go, I think that they should be in "slight" contact with the rotor.

Good luck,

Steve

OK, Define you can feel pressure from the pads? A rubbing noise/feel is normal. If you have to use both hands then it's dragging. If it's one side it could be the hose or caliper. If it's both sides it's the master cylinder or the tounge (hitch) not working properly. As for the lock out plate I think they are pretty common and you should be able to get them any where. Just understand they stop your trailer brakes from working at all..

BF

Thanks. guys .. I

t's a 2003...

By feeling pressure I mean I can spin it.. There is residual pressure, enough to stop the wheel from rotating freely and spinning more than 1 or 1 1/2 times..

I'm perplexed as to what the problem is..

It did it again this morning, Since I cant get a caliper I tried rebuilding the one I had... New o'rings, seals etc.. What a nightmare.. Not something for the faint of heart..

Not sure if it worked or if I did it correctly,

Its back on the wheel and I bled it, but I didnt test drive it yet..

As a back up, I'm going to try to get one of those keys. If it starts sticking on the road, I'm not sure I want to have to rip the caliper off the wheel completely and tie it up on the trailer frame.. (Been there and done that on an old trailer)

Thanks for your help.. Will let you know how I made out..

If there's any other ideas you get..Please let me know

my first question is how hot is everything getting? My 882 trailer the hubs get pretty warm if im in stop and go traffic. I have checked them plenty of times after a short thip to the gas staton etc and i was surprised at how hot they got twhen i first got it. but on a long freeway tow i can grab the hub after a couple hours driving and its just lukewarm not hot so the extra heat is from the stop and go driving and the brakes heating up.

One other question. how does your trailer sit when its hooked to the truck.the reason i ask is nose down will make the brakes drag a bit. These trailers really need to sit level when hooked to the truck.

Sorry to open up a somewhat closed posting but I have the same boat (2002) and the same thing is happening. I re-read the manual from UFP (www.ufpnet.com) and they note that the actuator should be pulled out manually when unhitching the boat/storing for a period of time because the calipers my stick.

I usually extend the actuator but the last time my hubs overheated, I remember noting that I had not done so. I wonder if this is the cause of many of the mishaps.

Mike

Latest posts

Back