Navigational Lights

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Balch

Reaction score
Well, I've decided to do some night fishing. So, I bought a Radioray Go-Light from Bass-Pro for my 2003 PT 175. The search light sits above the forward navigational lights and has a 12 in stanchion mount that fits into the perko receptacle. My problem is that if I turn on the search light, the 5-amp fuse for the running lights blows. The same thing happened when I replaced the fuse. After about 5 minutes, the fuse blows. The user's guide for the Radioray says a minimum 7-amp fuse is required, 10-amp is better. So, My questions are:

1. What is the gauge of wire installed by the factory for a 1003 PT 175? 14-amp or 16 amp?

2. Would there be any harm to replace the 5-amp fuse with a 7-amp fuse? What about a 10-amp fuse?

Thanks, Bill

I had to do that on my 175 and nx750 and on my 518. Also there is wiring issue to check out. If your boat has on the original front light a deck light that can be turned on and off then you need to check your wiring. I had to switch mine around to avoid bucking power. I was told by go light that the newer lights you don't have to do this.

I have called them and email mailed them and had great customer service. I have had it now 3 years with no other issues and it is one of my best tools for night running. Hope this helps.This is from a question I emailed them before.

William,

Good Morning. Yes, I'm sure it's a wiring issue. If the spotlight worked on your previous boat, then we know it's operational. Does the new boat have a 2 or 3 pin receptacle? For the light to work, the ground wire needs to be on the 9 o'clock (port) side and the positive needs to be on the 3 o'clock (starboard) side.

Once in a while we do run into inadequate wiring size, but most of the time it's sufficient. If it's 16 gauge or bigger, it should be fine.

The light draws 5.5 amps when on and rotating.

Please give me a call at the # below if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Colt Hosick

Golight, Inc.

800-557-0098

www.golight.com

Bill, your dealer is incorrect. I believe 16 can handle 7-10 amps (not 30) depending on length of wire. I personally would upgrade the wire to 14.

OK. It looks like I'll be safe changing the 5-amp fuse to a 10-amp fuse. Then I'll upgrade the wiring to 14 gauge next time the boat is in the shop. Wish Tracker had anticipated the addition of accessories and installed 14 or even 12 gauge wiring when the boat was being built. Thanks, everyone.

Bill

Latest posts

Back