My trip to Champlain.....The complete story

• Thread starter Marke Cicero [URL]http://www.zjstech.net/~library/
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marke Cicero

Reaction score
Here it is Gang.

The whole story with plenty of pictures to give all of you coming to the rally a sneak preview of what to expect. And for those not coming, well I guess it's just more reason to wish you were...sorry.

This may take a while to post because of all the pics. I just would like to ask that if you are on the board while I'm posting it, PLEASE do not reply and intereupt the flow of the story. Thanks :eek:)

Saturday 5 May, 02 4:45am:

My buddy Mike arrives at my house in his truck. We pack up and hit the road by 5am. We are both completely stoked and can't believe that we are going to Champlain. It's been a dream of ours for a long time. We are running on pure adrenaline and nothing in the world could possibly wreck this day.

We stop for gas and hit the highway. We are cruising along I89 North at a steady 70mph pace when at 6:30am disaster strikes!! My truck just all of a sudden shuts down.

We pull over and can't figure out what's wrong. Fortunately Mike has AAA Plus. Not the way you want to start the trip of a life time.
http://www.zjstech.net/~library/1181/truck on flat bed.jpg

truck%20on%20flat%20bed.jpg

The tow truck brought the boat Mike and I to exit 9 in Warner, NH and dropped at McDonald's. I called my wife Jill at 6:30am and woke her up to tell her the bad news. Needless to she was not happy. I asked her to call around and find someone to follow her to Warner and deliver Mikes truck to us. God love her because she got up found aother friend of hours and had us a new truck by 7:45am.

I was happy to see her but I though she was going to kill me....:O:
Jill%20wants%20to%20kill%20me.jpg

We said our thank you's and good bye's. Then Mike and I hitched the boat onto the back of his truck and we was North bound and down, we were loaded up and truckin, we had a long way to go and a short time to get there....

Total time loss about 1 1/2 hours...not to bad. Oh, where's my truck you may be asking?? Who cares!! I'm going to Lake Champlain......WoooHOOO!!!!
Back%20on%20the%20road.jpg

Well with all that a few hours behind us and nothing but smooth sailing the rest of the way, we finally get a good look at the Lake as we cross the lake on a ferry from South Hero, VT to Plattsburgh, NY.

Of course we're scoping the place out...."That looks like a good spot over there."
Scoping%20lake%20from%20ferry.jpg

We get off the ferry and I called Rob. He had been down to the river with his son Cody slamming toads from the bank all moring. We told him we were on route 9 heading towards Point Au Roche (Rally launch site). We decided to meet at the gas station across the street from the Stonehelm Motel. So we meet Rob and chat for a few minutes then it was off to Wally World for licenses and tackle.

After that Rob brought us down to the ramp and gave us a map of the lake. He couldn't come fishing with us yet, so he showed us some spots on the map and then invited to his house for dinner around 6pm. Now it's about 2pm and Mike and I are finally on the water. Well Saturday afternoon was cold and there was a strong north wind. We went out and got tossed around for a few hours and didn't catch any fish the first day :eek:(

Oh well, new lake, rough conditions....no big deal because tomorrow was going to be nice and were had a private guide named Rob LaMoy!!!

We went to Rob's house for dinner and his wife Michelle made made a HUGE dinner. Steak, rice pilaf, corn on the cob and grilled onions and mushrooms. After a long rough day on the road and on the water, that meal and a few wobbly pops really hit the spot.

I think we left Rob's around 9:30 and hit the rack for a much needed nights rest because was coming knocking at 6:30 on Sunday morning.

Sunday 06 May, 2002 6:30am. Knock, Knock...Rob was right on time.

It was a beautiful day. Bright blue skiis, temps in the high 50's. Rob decided we would go out of the Chazy River launch today (original launch site of Rally before bigger tourney pushed us out). Rob has been telling us about how many fish we were going to catch and the sizes of them. I was still kind of skeptical until we were 50 feet from the ramp and Rob flip a jig and pig into a downed tree and WHAM, 3 1/2lb large mouth before I even had a bait tied on...I then knew Rob was right, it was going to be a good day.

We decided to run up the lake a little and try for some smallies. We stopped at our first spot and on our 2nd cast each, Mike and I hit pay dirt.

Doubles right away..Mikes almost 3lbs and mine about 2lbs..This was the smallest fish I caught all day..

It is my pleasure to present to you our very first ever Lake Champlain Smallies.....
First%20fish%20on%20champlain%20a%20double.jpg

It didn't take long before we did it again..

Back to back doubles :eek:)
2nd%20double.jpg

This time Rob decides to join in the fun

I don't know about Poker, but in this game, 3 of a kind beats to pair....LOL
three%20of%20a%20kind.jpg

I didn't think it could happen but they just kept getting BIGGER!!!

This one is pushing the 4lb mark.
Almost%204lbs.jpg

Just in case you don't believe me and think I'm pulling a Roland on you "Hoo SON, this Hawg is 10lbs"

The scale doesn't lie.... If you can't read it, it's displaying 3.6lbs.
The%20scale%20dont%20lie.jpg

And now you may be asking "What could be better than 3+ lbs smallies?"

Why, 2 of them of course...
2%20is%20better%20than%20%201.jpg

I was deffenseless. There was nothing I could do, they just kept coming and coming.
They%20just%20kept%20coming.jpg

And they kept getting bigger and bigger. Mike was the first to break the 4lb barrier with this baby.
mike%20gets%204lbs.jpg

During all the excitement I almost forgot...Rob was there too...
We%20let%20rob%20catch%20some%20too.jpg

Then it was my turn...This was my largest bronze beauty of the day and the largest of my life to date. I am a member of the 4+ lb club :eek:)
I%20finally%20break%204lbs.jpg

Well Gang,

For over a year Rob has been posting about how wonderful Lake Champlain is. He would brag about a 100 fish days with a 3lb average size. I never thought he was lying but maybe slightly exagerating a little. Not any more. There is no doubt in my mind that Lake Champlain is the best small mouth bass fishery in the world.

I am by no means an awesome fisherman. I've never fished a tourney in my life. I'm just some weekend hack that goes out loves to catch fish and spend time with friends and family. As you can see I caught over 30 smallies on Sunday and they were all over 2 1/2 lbs (except that first one. I also caught some northern pike and large mouth bass as well. The Rally is going to be AWESOME!!!

Sunday was the best fishing day of my life and I will never foret it. Unfortuneatley all days come to an end, even the good ones.

Thank you God and Thank you Rob!!!

Here's a parting shot from the ride home on the ferry.
all%20good%20days%20come%20to%20an%20end.jpg

Well that's it gang, my weekend at Lake Champlain in a nut shell. I hope all of you enjoyed the story and I thank you for interupting during my posting process..

The board is now open

Marke

oops, that's supposed to say "I thank you for NOT interupting".

SO what happened to the truck? Was it the Famous GM Fuel Pump Failure... I have been a victim myself.

Oh yeah, the truck. I found out today....Now don't laugh....I blew a fuse..

OK now laugh....ROFLMAO....hahahahahah...LOL

Marke

That's awesome,...can't wait to see and meet everybody in a month!!! Marke and Rob,...you gota make a trip to Erie/St.Clair sometime........we CULL 3.6lbr's!!!....LOL...seeya soon!! (Neeley,..make a note to yourself,..."Bring spare fuses")......Doh!!!!!

Mac

My guess would be Magnum Flippin Tubes from Bass Pro Shops! If you werent you should be! I have some that catch MONSTERS

on Clair.....

What is the water temp on Champ?

Mini

My guess would be Magnum Flippin Tubes from Bass Pro Shops! If you werent you should be! I have some that catch MONSTERS

on Clair.....

Great story and pictures....

Mini

on Clair.....

Great story and pictures....

Mini

Awesome Pics Marke!

...and the narrative...it was just like being there in the TV-18 (awesome boat by the way) with you!

I can see now that Rich will have to add another server to hold all the pics that will get posted after the rally!

az

Awesome story (great pics too!) Had all of the makings of a great road trip. Maybe you can get MOFish to make you one of his checklists that will include spare fuses for the truck!!

I originally said there was no way I could go to the rally, but your story has me racking my brains (a very noisy task, indeed) trying to figure a way to get out there.

Great photos, Marke! Especially the last two!

Truck fuses must be a habitual problem for TV-18 owners. I had a fuse blow on mine a few months back. Turned the key, heard a loud POP, and no electricity to anything. Glad I had Triple-A. I could hear the fuse (cicuit breaker) cycle, but couldn't pull it.

How did Mike's Ranger do pulling your boat?

I keep scrolling back up to look at the fish. Unbelievable, except you've got the pictures to prove they're there.

For those of you who are fortunate and can attend the Rally, have a GREAT time. And take a moment on the water to quietly reflect on us poor slobs who can't be there....and then LAUGH your J*** N**s OFF!!!!

Marke,

Wonderful pics and story! Thanks for sharing. :)

Cass

And, like I said in another post..... Sorry about the "Dear Abbey" name; I hadn't noticed that it had stayed there after our "politically charged" postings the other day!

me!

Don't mind me, I'm just brining the story and pics back to the front of board so friends not familiar with the board can find it easier...LOL

Marke