My speedometer stopped working!??

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Ritter

Reaction score
I've got a Nitro 882 and my speedometer just stopped working. How does the mechanism detect speed on this boat? Is there possibly a water flow obstruction or does this boat use some kind of mechanical device to measure speed. I dont see anything at the stern that resembles speed sensors on other boats that I have had. anyone have an Idea? thanks, Twopars

water is taken in through a small hole in the front of the nose cone on the motor. it then runs through a tube up to the back of the speedo. you probably just have something blocking the hole in your nose cone. it could be weeds or sand or whatever but it doesn't take much to plug it up.

There is a little notch on the back of the fin that is where the speedometer on the back of your lower unit and this is where the speedometer tube comes out from your gauge. You probobly sucked something up while on plane like a pebble or some seaweed.

Last year our lower unit took a crap and our speedometer wasnt working and now after we got a new lower unit put on it works like a charm...

Hope this helps.

T.S.

The good news is, it's no less accurate than it was when it worked :). Speedos are notoriously inaccurate. I'm thinking about making my hole bigger in hopes of reaching 90mph :).

Look on the leading (front) edge of your lower unit, just above the bullet. There will be a small nick, which is actually a hole, which acts like the pitot tube on an airplane's wing. Water pressure is measured here, and convereted into an estimated speed.

You probably have mud or wood or other debris clogging that little hole. Here's what worked for me. Take the smallest drill bit you can find and, turning it by hand, try to drill out the material. Once you feel the resistance quit, stop using the drill bit.

Take a jig-head hook (Slider hooks work great, by the way) and straighten out the shank. Insert the hook into the hole and use the barb to pull out any remaining material. Mine came out as a single plug of wood and mud.

TWOPAR EVERYONE HERE HAS HAD THIS HAPPEN TO THEM BEFORE.THEY ARE RIGHT ABOUT THE SPEEDO HOLE ON THE FOOT.I DO LIKE MOFISH DOES,CLEANING THE HOLE OUT WITH THE HOOK BARB.I WOULDNT RECOMEND A DRILL BIT.YOU DONT WANT TO PUSH THE DABRE INTO THE HOLE ANY FARTHER.WATER GOES THROUGH THE SPEEDO TUBE TO THE ACTUAL GUAGE.THE GUAGE MEASURES THE PRESSURE OF THE WATER BEING FORCED TO IT.ABOUT EVERY 6 MONTHS I DISCONECT THE TUBEING FROM THE GUAGE AND FORCE HIGH AIR PRESSURE THROUGH IT TO KEEP IT AS ACCURATE AS POSSIBLE. HAPPY BOATING

Hey! thanks guys! You were all right on the money! I just checked my lower unit and I had a twig broken off in the intake hole! I used the drill bit/hook idea to manually dig the twig out of the opening. I'm sure it will work just fine now. I really appreciate this Web Site! You all are a very valuable resource for problem solving. Thanks-- Twopars

Latest posts

Back