My fishing "bucket list"

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Kayaker

Reaction score
Well, I decided to do something completely different after the annual running of the smallies at Lake Winnisquam. I got on a plane and headed to the west coast and was able to go fly fishing for mako and blue sharks in San Diego. That was on my list of fishing trips that I always wanted to do. What a rush!!! My arms and back are killing me from hooking up so many sharks. The way they fight is so different than anything else I have ever experienced. Sharks are truly the apex predators in the ocean.

I swung and missed three mako sharks, hooked four and landed three and hooked three blue sharks and landed two. The largest was estimated at over 150 lbs. and took almost an hour to land. The biggest thrill was watching one of them do a backward somersault with three hundred yards of line between me and the shark! Here are a few pics. I'll post a video later next week.

Fishing%20San%20Diego%20Photo1%20May%2028%202010.jpg

This is one of the first mako sharks I hooked up with.

Fishing%20San%20Diego%20Photo2%20May%2028%202010.jpg

This is a blue shark that was estimated at over 150 lbs.

Fishing%20San%20Diego%20Photo4%20May%2028%202010.jpg

Me trying to look like I know what I am doing with a 16 wt fly rod.

I am guessing the first largemouth I catch this weekend, is going to be flying over my head as I set the hook based on how hard you have to set the hook on a shark!! :p

I strongly recommend this to everyone.

Bill, the MadKayaker

Bill,

What a trip, you must have had a blast. I can't imagine landing a shark on my fly rod. Pics look great looking forward to the video.

GregD

when I was a kid I wanted to catch jaws, looks like you did

That looks like a HOOT!!! Sharks will beat you to death before you even get 'em boatside. We used to play with the Bull Sharks in So. FL and go home flat WHOOPED! I bet you can't wait to do it again!! Great job!!! :D

Thanks Dan - the one in the video was the smallest of the day. I'll be honest, I was really hoping that we didn't spot any more sharks in our last half hour as my biceps were killing me. I still have a bruise on my stomach where I rested the rod butt as I tried to pull in line inch by inch ...

Bill, the MadKayaker

Latest posts

Back