Motorguide 6700 problems

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mack McMillin

Reaction score
My trolling motor all of a sudden starting blowing fuses. Its a Motorguide 6700 Pro Series and I couldn't find a 40 amp fuse anywhere in town. Checked the owner's manual and it calls for 50 amp circuit breakers!!!!

Replaced the 40 amp fuses with 40 amp circuit breakers (couldn't find the 50 amp fuses anywhere). The motor would then run for a couple of seconds and then slow down and then pop the circuit breaker. I had to send the dang thing to the Motorguide Service center -- $46.00 for shipping. Its still under warranty so at least I don't have to pay to have it shipped back. But the Service guy asked me was it mounted on an Avalanche. I said yes and he said he doesn't know why Tracker puts 40 amp fuses when Motorguide clearly says 50 amps.

Anybody ever had the same problem???

What size wire is used on the trolling motor wiring?

It should be 6AWG or larger. If its 8AWG (smaller than

6AWG) that might be why they use only a 40AMP fuse. I have

heard complaints that some nitros/trackers use 8AWG or smaller for the trolling motor wiring. It is possible to burn up the wire first if the wire is too small compared to the fuse value.

I would be interested to hear what the

operating current draw is on these motor guides, even 40 amps seems like a lot for the fuse. If a 50 amp is specified by MG, does that mean that a motor on high could typically be drawing 25amps?

don't know about the amps on the mg, but my mk 65 24V is listed at 37Amps. MK also recommended a 50A manual ckt breaker. was lucky the wiring is 6 ga.

jd

Fuses are sized to protect the wiring during start-up due to the high levels of current required to start a stopped motor. I don't know about dc motor fuse and conductor sizing but on ac systems fuses sometimes can be sized as high as 250% of the running amps due to the start load.

Gene

I would check for a misaligned or obstructed prop shaft. This could cause amp overload. I am positive that wiring gauge used by Tracker for this application is within NEC ratings. If it weren't that would be opening themselves up to potentially huge legal hassles. Same for circuit breaker ratings.

The wiring is 6 gauge. Waiting to here what the repairman has to say about the problem. I'll keep you posted.

Have them replace the STATOR. It's the same problem I had with mine on the Avalanche. Motorguide got a bad patch of stators. It's the part inside the electric motor that controls the speed. I went through two of them last year.

The service center has the motor. I'll ask tomorrow about the stator. Thanks for the advice.

Yep, it was the stator. He replaced it and threw in a couple of 50 amp circuit breakers. Now I just have to wait for it to come back. Only problem was I had to pay shipping back - $15. All-in-all it cost me $61 for my motor to be fixed under warranty. There ought to be a better way, but what the heck, its just money...

Latest posts

Back