More help on purchasing 640LX

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randy Bailey

Reaction score
Thanks to all for your input. Now let me tell you a little background. I now own a 1994 Tracker Tournament Pro 18 with a 25 HP Merc. I love the boat but 15 MPH with gear and two guys does not cut it. I thought it would be smarter to purchase a new boat with warranties to get a faster boat than to put a 75-90 HP motor on my 7 year old Tracker. This is the first boat I have owned, so what do you guys think? I am actually looking at a NEW 2000 Nitro 640LX with a NEW 2001 75 HP Merc for $11900 + tax. This price includes freight and rigging. I did not like the idea of giving up an 18 foot boat for a 16 foot 4 inch boat, but I thought the Nitro 640LX still had plenty of room. I do mostly bass and crappie fishing on small lakes. The biggest lake I fish is Lake Shelbyville in Shelbyville Illinois. But even on the smaller lakes it takes for ever to get to diferent parts of the lake at 15 MPH. What do you guy think now that you know a little more about my situation? Thank you in advance for all replies

Randy - How long do you plan to keep the next boat? A new 2000 (2 years old) and 1 year old motor will depreciate quickly. If you realy want a glass boat and plan to keep it for a while then go for it. At the 11,900 your still about the same for a brand new 175 w/75hp merc. So you'd be 1 foot shorter than your 18 but longer than the 640, and the 175 being welded and the same width might be a easier sell later. My vote on smaller lakes would go with the aluminium since it's lighter and bigger for the same $$.

Don't get me wrong, the 640 is a great looking boat but if you've run a aluminium boat and love it, then the 175 w/75 or the 185 w/60hp would be the same cost and 2 years newer in model years.

Randy,

My wife and I plan to spend time fishing in Illinois this year, and Shelbyville is one of our options. Can you shoot me an e-mail with suggestions for fishing it (best times-of-the-year, boat ramps, campgrounds and species choices)? Growing up, I spent a lot of time with my grandpa fishing for crappie on Lake Mattoon. He always talked about taking us to Shelbyville, but died before we could put that trip together.

I'm also interested in Lake Kinkaid, Egypt, Rend, Cedar and Crab Orchard if anyone knows about these lakes, and especially about fishing for largemouth, smallmouth or crappie.

Thanks!

Mark

Randy, I am curious about where you live in Illinois and who your dealer is. I live near Springfield and I deal with the Boat Dock in Spfld. They have been a great to deal with and I have nothing but praise for them, they really know how to take care of their cusotmers. I am in the motorcycle business so I feel I know a little bit about customer service. I moved to fiberglass in Oct. of 2000 and I don't regret it at all, the performance is better and the boats are easier to handle in the wind with the trolling motor(the don't seem to be as affected by the wind). I was looking at the 640 myself but got such a great deal on a 700 that I bought it instead(with a 75 on it). Great boat. But then Nitros are great boats.

Hey Mark, for some great Bass fishing, try Lake Springfield and Lake Jacksonville here in Illinois. Lake Spfld has become a really good bass fishery, and Lake J'ville is one of the best bass fisheries in the state. It is so good that the lake manager has been overwhelm with requests for bass tournaments on it. If you like to fish grass this is the lake.

Shelbyville is suppose to be good this year and is best when the water level is up and the cover along the shoreline is under water(at least in my opinion). Fish rip rap along the railroad bridge in the northern part of the lake for some good bass action and Finley marina is good too. but it is a big lake and there are some other excellent fishing all over it.

Latest posts

Back