Minn Kota or Motorguide

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texas Transplant

Reaction score
Okay. Been seriously thinking about a new trolling motor. Mine is quite old (95), and showing it's age. Also, it makes a LOT OF NOISE in the water. I'm really concerned that is having an affect while fishing (maybe it's only affecting my head - but . . .).

If you were buying again, which brand and why?

Any feelings on the new 'built in transducer' that is offered now?

Tex

i would go Minnkota all the way. I have had motorguides in the past and i was never pleased. Every one i have ever owned has been loud, failure prone and my last one cost me 4 tourmaments due to failure. Currently i have a minnkota maxxum 74 and its been great. Mine was new in 98 and is still going strong after 6 years. It does everythign better then any motorguide i have never had and has never failed me on the water . No more busted cables, gears, or blown armatures any more for me.

If i was buying a new one today i doubt id get the built in transducer. Mainly for two reasons one is no temop sensor and having to run one down the shaft kinda defeatsthe purpose and whe nthe transducer fails( and it will) they are costly to replace.

I have run my Minnkota into every stump and rock in the lake and even tried to trailer the boat with it down one time and the most damage I've sustained is one broken shear pin.

Harpo

I have a MG on my skiff. Within the first year the motor housing leaked. Warranty fixed it. They actually sent me a free hat and an extra prop afterwards. Now I'm leaning towards MK.

Sorry to piggy back on your thread Tex, But how is the <b>powerdrive</b> line of motors?

I have to agree with Jim B. I never had nothing but trouble with my Motorguides. Every time I got in heavey weeds the lower unit burned out. In all fairness though my Minnkota had serious problems also. They weren't fixed correctly until I sent the motor back to the Minnkota factory. I haven't had a problem since.

Bassin Fool,

If I remember correctly, your boat is possessed and ate a bunch of trolling motors!! Did you ever figure out what that was all about?

Bob G.

Well, Dodge/Ford/Chevy, Ranger/Triton/NITRO, MG/MK, usually never get honest answers but I can tell you it is the same for all. everybody will like what they currently own for the most part. I own both and like both but I must say I have put MEGA hours on my MG on the NITRO and the only things I have had go wrong are a sheared lockdown pin from running Champlain in 5 footers, and a new prop from smashing down on the bottom in those same 5 footers (hey, I HAD to fish didn't I?). With warranty and such, if I were buying new today, I honestly would go with the best deal and turn a blind eye to the maker. Both are good.

TOXIC

Toxic makes a good point. Ford, Chevy, etc, we all lean towards the brands we've had the fewest/zero problems from. I look at it this way...if it's man-made it will eventually break. Kinda like that theory of not buying a vehicle made on a Monday or a Friday.

I've personally owned about a dozen MG's without a problem that I didn't create. One of them is 12yrs. old and still does it's job when needed. I prefer a metal shaft, that will bend, over plastic, that will break. FWIW

Added text: They are both great companies to deal with in my experience.

Bob G. Ya??? Poor quality control at the factory. I haven't had a problem since they fixed the trolling motor at the factory (Minnkota). The other problem was the factory repair rep for up here is bad along with the UPS shipping from them that likes to destroy things in their trucks.

Same factory repair rep for both Minnkota and Motorguide.

Bassin Fool,

It sucked that you had to go through a few trolling motors. Glad you finally got a good one. I've had 2 MK and currently have a MG and have not had problems with either.

Bob G.

A little background on my MG experience. I have owned 4 of them and only one has lasted more then a season without many repair's some minor, some major. That was a 50# brute and it broke shortly into its second season with a blown armature. I used to carry a spare tm in my truck at one point because i was having so many failures. i used to carry switches, cables, ropes, and pinion gears because those parts cailed constantly while on the water. I got so good at fixing MG problems that i still to this day fix them for guys in my club, just about every two day tourney we have im fixing a motorguide for one of the same 4 guys after day 1.

When i got my nitro i never even ran the mg that came on it, i swapped it out the first day. I cnever even gave it a chance, i put my 4 year old minnkota on and never looked back. The only thing i have repaired on my minnkota in 6 years is the plastic cover at the top of the motor where the cables come in. I smashed it into a dock and busted it up pretty good but with a little duct tape cureall i was back fishing and left it that way for two months until the end of the season. i am thinking about buying a new one this year because my mount is getting a little loose but after 6 years of abuse i cant complain.

Dan J. Fyi the minkota shaft isnt "plastic" its acompisite material. From what my old man tells me its a carbon fiber/fiberglass composite. He machines that stuff in his shop and he says its tough, it has a higher tensile strength then steel. Breaking one would be very hard to do. I have seen a bussy of mine it his minnkota off every crossmember on his trailer when he was puting his tracker on the trailer with the gas motor with his trolling motor down. It didnt hurt a thing on the motor, dented the trailer. He also took off on plane once with the tm down and once again didnt hurt a thing that minkota is still going strong.

Jim B - I didn't mean to imply any inferiority with the MK shafts, but I've seen them exploded like a broken graphite fishing rod. Once was in a partner's boat during a BASS T on Okeechobee. We were getting ready to leave and when he dropped the TM to back away at Okee Tantee, it Klanged the dock edge and KAPOW!, shaft blew like a blunderbust. (It was also abnormally cold that day. FWIW) I've seen them at the MK support trailer similarly (not as bad), like a straw that had been flexed too much, with stress marks running down the length. I've also seen, and done myself, a bunch of bent and snapped MG shafts as well. I believe they are both good products, however when I have bent mine, I've used my little 'ol self to jump up and down on the MG shaft to bend it back and keep on fishing! (LOL!)

Dan ive done that too. I even bent a MG one so bad that it was kinked, it was all over from there.

As far as my Mk goes i know its not indestructable but they are darn tough breaking one is a rarity. I have smacked mine off most likley every rock in Lake Winnipesaukee even on days with water temps in the 30's and havent busted one yet.

Most are the same, BUT, min kota has much bigger and better internal in the housing than mg, does that make it better i think so.better enery transfer=londer life

mike

minn kota maxxum.

the front shaft and spring release is great. it takes a LOT of abuse without fail. I like the mg's also, but the spring loaded mounting of the shaft and the flex that it allows in collisions sets the units apart for me.

jd

I have a Minn Kota Maxxum 65. Strong & silent. My only problem is that it's "go" button on the pedal is on the left and I was used to the MG switch on the right. Besides that, I really like the Maxxum.

Da Bear

Latest posts

Back