Minn-Kota and their prices

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Snow

Reaction score
Okay, my supposedly "new" trolling motor (prev owner said it had only been in the water maybe once), has a problem with the dir arrow not turning. Smart me decides to fix it right before a tourney. Well, I open her up (after having to drill out one rusted screw because a screwdriver couldn't grip it), and find that the piece that holds the two cables is broken off the bottom of the head unit. So, I need a new head unit bottom anyway (due to my drilling success), and the arrow is broken. I call Minn Kota, knowing I'm about to have problems... of course I don't have a receipt, so I ask the guy when the motor was made... 1999. Okay, so much for a warranty issue. So, as I'm pondering which motor to buy to replace this one since I'm about to get raped on parts pricing, I find out that with shipping, I'm under $30.

This includes the pointer and decal, head unit bottom, head unit top and decal, a few screws, and shipping. The decals, which I've priced for Merc's shifter once and it was like $5 or so, were $.46 and $.84. $.10 for one of the screws and $.50 (I think) for three of the others. The bottom of the head unit was $12.80 and was the most expensive part. Without this, the cables don't attach to anything, the motor doesn't attach to the electronics, etc. This is a critical part, and one they could have really raped me on. I was HOPING for under $100 in parts. At $100, it was time to decide if I needed another trolling motor (bigger, better, cooler, you know).

Mind you, this was just after paying $40 for a oil reservoir (engine mounted) for my Merc because a float inside it got stuck. Too bad Minn-Kota doesn't own Merc. Those $1000 cowlings might be more reasonable.

Minn Kota service has always been first rate. BTW - that bottom part you just ordered is going to be better than the original. Minn Kota realized after a few broke at the same point that yours did (after about 3 to 4 years of good running service), that the bottom needed a beefier mount for the cable bracket. I think the new one uses four screws and anchor points for the cables, whereas the old one used two screws and anchor points. My 3 1/2 year motor was a half year out of warranty, but since I was the "original owner... and had registered it", they sent me the bottom part for free, along with an upgraded rope guide so that the rope wouldn't get chaffed. I have dealt with a very nice lady named Kimber Austin, who is absolutely a first rate person to deal with. I have a Motorguide on the front of my new Triton, but the verdict is still out on it. If it breaks and parts are "Brunswick expensive", I will probally buy a new Maxxum Pro 80 to replace it. Glad to hear that your parts were inexpensive. You have a very good motor there. Should give you a lot more years of relyable service. Mine was a 98 model, so it was 7 years old when I sold my boat. It still ran strong, smooth, and quiet as the day I bought it.

Glenn

Latest posts

Back